Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fat Skis in Non-Powder Conditions

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Benny Profane wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
I've skied 40+ days on 100 under foot for the last 4-5 years and have no problems. Football did a lot worse.

Sorry about that compensation issue. I guess size does matter to some. Drive a big old pickup truck, too?

Past few years I have seen a few people skiing on big old rockered platapus skis at Gore on some of the hardest days. I'm talking surfaces that would make a westerner recoil in horror. I guess that's the result of good marketing or something. Yo, dude, I'm core. Take me to the powder.
Or they only have money for one pair of skis and want a good powder ski because it's what they like to ski the most. Until I'm done with school I can't afford to have a bunch of different skis. I'm sure not going to buy my one pair for skiing shitty hard snow.

Plus, isn't it more "core" to be out skiing in rock hard ice conditions? I don't do it. I can think of a ton of other things I find way more entertaining than skiing on icy groomed ski runs. But those that do it and ski no matter what I would consider core, it's not me but I'm not trying to prove anything either.

For all the hype around powder skiing being "gnar gnar" or whatever the goofy college kids say around here I've always thought powder skiing to be anything but that. It's soft, pleasurable, quiet, peaceful, and soothing.
Here here!  Fat skis are fun. Simple as that.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Wait. What?
"I made $138,000, OK? There. Happy?  My dear deceased mother just spun in her grave. Never talk about your money and politics in polite conversation, she always said.

And, like my Daddy always said, you'll never get rich working for money. That's why you need annuities and dividends and capital appreciation."

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/ORDA-s-operating-loss-increases-year-over-year-tp4034412p4034641.html

Feel free to keep on about that overcompensating thing, DB.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ Lol.

And I'd say Benny is treated pretty well on this forum, compared to how he fares over on TGR.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Wait. What?
"I made $138,000, OK? There. Happy?  My dear deceased mother just spun in her grave. Never talk about your money and politics in polite conversation, she always said.

And, like my Daddy always said, you'll never get rich working for money. That's why you need annuities and dividends and capital appreciation."

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/ORDA-s-operating-loss-increases-year-over-year-tp4034412p4034641.html

OH SNAP
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Benny Profane wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
I've skied 40+ days on 100 under foot for the last 4-5 years and have no problems. Football did a lot worse.

Sorry about that compensation issue. I guess size does matter to some. Drive a big old pickup truck, too?

Past few years I have seen a few people skiing on big old rockered platapus skis at Gore on some of the hardest days. I'm talking surfaces that would make a westerner recoil in horror. I guess that's the result of good marketing or something. Yo, dude, I'm core. Take me to the powder.
Or they only have money for one pair of skis and want a good powder ski because it's what they like to ski the most. Until I'm done with school I can't afford to have a bunch of different skis. I'm sure not going to buy my one pair for skiing shitty hard snow.

Plus, isn't it more "core" to be out skiing in rock hard ice conditions? I don't do it. I can think of a ton of other things I find way more entertaining than skiing on icy groomed ski runs. But those that do it and ski no matter what I would consider core, it's not me but I'm not trying to prove anything either.

For all the hype around powder skiing being "gnar gnar" or whatever the goofy college kids say around here I've always thought powder skiing to be anything but that. It's soft, pleasurable, quiet, peaceful, and soothing.
Or they just buy skis for what they hope to ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
One thing I like about rockered/fat skis is they encourage me to lean into the boot tongue on groomers, to engage the full length of the ski. I don't like the floppy bang bang.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Harvey wrote
I don't like the floppy bang bang.
TWSS
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
If you try to ski a 95mm + width ski like a craving ski you have to creat more angle somehow which either is going to impact your knees or hips

Instead you need to change how you ski to a flatter ski with more of a slarve than a carve
Absolutely correct - although for me I find that transition point closer to 85mm, I can carve an 85 on moderate hard pack but can't develop the edge power I can when I go Alpine on a race Slalom ski. I hate my 100mm boards on hard, in Pow and soft - different story.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I think the tipping point is in the low 90 mm range

I have 88mm under foot that I can ski the same as my 82 everyday ski or even my race ski.  They don't hold like a race ski though.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Wait. What?

Wow. You just turned into a stalker. Get a life.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
One thing I like about rockered/fat skis is they encourage me to lean into the boot tongue on groomers, to engage the full length of the ski. I don't like the floppy bang bang.

They pretty much suck on groomers, especially slightly junked up groomers.  Two or three inches though, and, magic.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
^ Lol.

And I'd say Benny is treated pretty well on this forum, compared to how he fares over on TGR.

Repeat after me. It's only the internet. It's only the internet. It's only the internet.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Benny Profane wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
^ Lol.

Repeat after me. It's only the internet. It's only the internet. It's only the internet.
Don't need the mantra, I've already taken it to heart (I wish some other people around here would do the same).
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
In reply to this post by bumps
This problem can be solved pretty easily. You can offset your bindings so that you have one edge available on even the widest of skis. Because seriously, why are you running your powder planks if you really need more than one edge?

115 mm under foot.

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i just skied my new/used volkl bridges ,128/95/115, wed on mostly hard packed.
i had fun and enjoyed them in the glades all day. limited powder but did notice
the float difference. my old pair are 126/74/105. knees feel fine. low back... now
that is another story
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Bosco DaSkia
Bosco DaSkia wrote
This problem can be solved pretty easily. You can offset your bindings so that you have one edge available on even the widest of skis. Because seriously, why are you running your powder planks if you really need more than one edge?

115 mm under foot.
Hmm.  Reminds me of seeing some Atomic Powder Pluses for the first time in Engelberg  in 1992... They looked stupid fat and freaky with the offset bindings.. And everyone who saw them was  in awe - it dumped a metre of snow overnight.. So they all of a sudden made sense..
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Bosco DaSkia
Maybe the old eyes are playing tricks but it looks like the brakes on those skis are about as useful as tits on a bull.
This set up is novel, but I think I'll pass.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
safety straps  i didn't notice. haven't seen those in years. they were the worst when learning how to ski.
after a wipe out you had to take your gloves off and redo the straps. brakes were by far one of the best
innovations in the industry
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
.. as useful as tits on a bull.
 Unless it was a trans Jenner bull...
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.