Favorite non-blue line area in NY

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Favorite non-blue line area in NY

ml242
Probably Black Rock Forest. Not bad for a reclaimed ecological disaster.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MikeK
Favorite Areas? Saratoga, Ithaca, Thousand Islands, Canandaigua, the eastern end of Long Island

Favorite outdoor areas? Ellicottville, agree with the Letchworth suggestion

Mountain biking: Shindagin Hollow, 909, Blue Mountain near Peekskill, and I haven't been there yet, but I want to ride near Stewart Airport.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I've noticed this before, but even NYS itself cannot decide on what regions are what:

All broken up by county, all different.  So depending on who you ask, Cortland and Tompkins county could be CNY,Finger Lakes or Southern Tier.

The way I think of the regions of NY has more to do with the physical characteristics rather than random county groupings.  For instance, Ithaca area is Finger Lakes to me, and Cortland is CNY.  They are close, but vastly different in topology and feel.

Rochester and along the lake is classified and Finger Lakes or western NY, but bears little resemblance.  It's flat, the land is more developed either agriculturally or industrially.  The whole band from Buffalo to Syracuse from Lake Ontario to the thruway feels the same.  Once you head down south, it's different, and Finger Lakes are definitely different than the areas to the east and west of them (the lakes have a big effect IMO).  Then down south below them and close to PA it gets different again... similar, but drier, more like CNY.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MikeK wrote

The way I think of the regions of NY has more to do with the physical characteristics rather than random county groupings.  For instance, Ithaca area is Finger Lakes to me, and Cortland is CNY.  They are close, but vastly different in topology and feel.

Agree.....how in the hell (the last map) can you not include Tompkins and Cayuga counties in the finger lakes region. They both house actual finger lakes
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by MikeK
The first map makes the most sense to me. The second is just wacked. But maybe topographically, it makes sense like you were saying. I guess I thought I was in CNY, but now I'm realizing that the first and last map are putting me in either the Catskills, or the southern tier. The weird map is putting me in central Leatherstocking, whatever the hell that is
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Leatherstocking?  sounds kinky.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
How I think of the regions (I don't have many CNY or any Catskills pics).

Finger Lakes - Gorges, gullies, lakes, shale, flat topped but steep hills

CNY - similar to FL but without the big gorges and lakes

ADK - lakes, mountains, sand, metamorphic rock, waterfalls, hardwood mixed with Boreal forest

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Those pictures are sick Mike. It makes me miss the east looking at those.

It seems like a lot of people don't love Greek Peak but the area looks beautiful to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote

It seems like a lot of people don't love Greek Peak but the area looks beautiful to me.
HEY!!
I hope you get an itch where you can't scratch it  
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
The Gunks!

Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Thanks!

Most of my romping is in those three areas.  Most people favor the ADKs (I do too), that's why I ask about non-blue line areas.

I don't give the Cats much love because, for me, the ride is the same to either and I like water.

Remember those "I ♥ NY" logos?  I'm one of those jackoffs that really live it.  NY is a great state with a lot of great outdoor rec.  Only part I don't much care for is western NY near Buffalo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
LOL, it's actually named after the indians that used to be in the area who supposedly wore "Leather stockings". James Fenimore Cooper who also lived in the area (Cooperstown) documented this in his book "Last of the Mohicans" We had this conversation a year ago when we came up with the Trail name "Natty Bumppo" for Woodstream. Gore stole "Hawkeye" and "Uncas" from us. There is sign on the Thruway just before exit 25A for I-88 that says "Exit to Leather Stocking region". You can in fact still find arrow heads when you dig in the farm fields along the Susky.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ethan Snow wrote
raisingarizona wrote
LOL, it's actually named after the indians that used to be in the area who supposedly wore "Leather stockings". James Fenimore Cooper who also lived in the area (Cooperstown) documented this in his book "Last of the Mohicans" We had this conversation a year ago when we came up with the Trail name "Natty Bumppo" for Woodstream. Gore stole "Hawkeye" and "Uncas" from us. There is sign on the Thruway just before exit 25A for I-88 that says "Exit to Leather Stocking region". You can in fact still find arrow heads when you dig in the farm fields along the Susky.
Nice. Thanks for the cool story man but bro....bad form on the thread drift.

JK, I love stuff like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
It's really not a drift. We are talking about New York state, and the regions within.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ethan Snow wrote
It's really not a drift. We are talking about New York state, and the regions within.

Ya, I was joking and would care less anyways.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
 the Trail name "Natty Bumppo" for Woodstream.
Bumppo...... perfect name for a bump trail.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
yeah, I think that was Warp Daddy who came up with that, but I can't remember.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I gotta get to the gunks... never been
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
MikeK wrote
I gotta get to the gunks... never been

I recommend mid July for endless blueberries at Sam's Point.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
ml242 wrote
I recommend mid July for endless blueberries at Sam's Point.
Unfortunately for the gunks, my July through October trips are strictly to the Adirondacks.