Favorite non-blue line area in NY

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Favorite non-blue line area in NY

warp daddy
Yeah Ethan  i came up with that one based on James Fenimore Coopers Leatherstocking tales focusing on your area .also suggested naming some for the various colleges mascots at Oneonta State and Hartwick  in your region .

BTW you have done a great job with Woodstream , you gotta be proud !!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Thank you Warp! The names are great, and I also named my front slope Red Dragon.

I've got yooge plans for improvements this year too. I am working tward a new snowmaking system for this coming system. I have a compressor that can provide a lot more air for snowmaking, but I still need more pumping capacity.

This weekend I have a friend with an excavator coming to move a shed from nearby, and into place just below my pond. This will be my pump house. Then my plan is to run pipe from there to the top of the hill sometime in the next month or two, and possibly run more pipe to other places next year. The expensive part will be the pump which hopefully I can scrape up the funds for by the fall. Most likely I will. I hope to put my money where my mouth is. I usually get a few bucks from dad too.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
They say a GM should underpromise, and overdeliver. So I will say this: I will have more snowmaking next year than I did this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
 The expensive part will be the pump which hopefully I can scrape up the funds for by the fall.
You may have an issue with electric to run the pumps -
I am not a pump guy but I wonder if you found an old fire truck that would solve both the pump and power problems.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Even a used fire truck is going to cost way more than the kind of pump I'm talking about.
I'm looking to Increase my pumping  capacity to about 20-25 GPM over the 5 I have been running the last few years. I have my eye on one in particular that will run on 22.5 A @240 V. I put in a 100 A sub pannel for the compressor and lights, which add up to about 40 A when everything's wide open. So if I add a pump to that I'll be up to 60 A, and I still have room for an additional pump or something in the future.

We have a 200 A main, so as long as my parents aren't drawing more than 140 A inside the house (that will never happen) I'm good. Keep in mind its a small operation, and that's what Woodstream is all about. Its 160 vert of ligit skiing in a residential setting.

Plattekill's main disconnect believe it or not, is only 1000 A. That's like 5-7 houses. It's not a lot, but Plattekill is small enough they get away with it. A fire truck for Plattekill might be a good idea now that I think of it.  Those things do run a lot of pressure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Another option is PTO pump on my tractor. But Electric is by far the most energy efficient way to go. With the current price per KWH, I'll be able to run the system for under 10 bucks a day! That is, if I can squeeze enough power out of my breaker pannel.

Ok, I admit it, this is a thread drift.