classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
41 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Funny Ski Area Social Media Posts

Harvey
Administrator
Gore totally blows snow in the glades.  Sometimes with help.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hunter has a snowmaking line in one of their glades, they do it on purpose, not just overblow from trails with no help from guests.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Gore totally blows snow in the glades.  Sometimes with help.
I think that's called wind Harv.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Hunter has a snowmaking line in one of their glades, they do it on purpose, not just overblow from trails with no help from guests.
Wait....they're actually blowing snow in a glade? That I have to see. Because if they are I can guarantee you it won't be a glade for long.

Snowmaking takes a tremendous toll on trees and contributes quite a bit to trail width "creep".
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey thanks for posting that video, it made my day!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
snoloco wrote
It looks like this.  They groom it too.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Your welcome Skunkape.

Sno that looks like a narrow trail that has just had snowmaking added. If they get it open by 12/26 every year, in ten years it will likely be wider.

Glades by definition aren't groomed.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I consider it the same way you do.  A narrow trail with snowmaking.  Hunter still refers to it as a glade.

Didn't you say that you turned one of the ratnik ground guns into the woods once to cover a glade?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No I did not. Or if I did say it I was lyin. Seen it happen tho.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My bad.  That's pretty funny that a guest turned a gun into the glades though.  I'd think that tampering with snowmaking equipment would be an easy way to get your ticket clipped.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
snoloco wrote
I'd think that tampering with snowmaking equipment would be an easy way to get your ticket clipped.
Some people really ride the wild side.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That's funny and all but, just for the record, everybody here knows how dangerous moving a ground gun would be right? There's many many PSI going through those hoses, both water and air. If you don't know what you're doing, its a recipe for disaster. Getting a ticket clipped would be the least of your worries. Not to be kill joy but I would hate to think we were planting a bad idea in some skinny 17 yr olds head
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Yeah Sno, don't do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
That's funny and all but, just for the record, everybody here knows how dangerous moving a ground gun would be right? There's many many PSI going through those hoses, both water and air. If you don't know what you're doing, its a recipe for disaster. Getting a ticket clipped would be the least of your worries. Not to be kill joy but I would hate to think we were planting a bad idea in some skinny 17 yr olds head
?seriously? Sno only wants the guns on super wide ,super straight ,super groomed boulevards.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I want snowmaking everywhere that it's humanly possible.  I like minimal reliance on nature to provide the goods.  

Trails with character and snowmaking don't have to be mutually exclusive is more accurate.  Problem is that if you use sled guns, you create these weird piles of snow that can be very icy and pretty much unskiable.  Only solution to that is to groom, or install tower guns which need a wide trail to work properly.  If they don't get a wide trail, they make one themselves by destroying the trees within 100 feet.  A trail that is groomed can still have "character" and it can always be left ungroomed after fresh snow.

Hunter grooms Annapurna on all weekends and weekdays after a freeze thaw.  Otherwise they let it bump up.  I imagine it will be a full on bump run come spring, which will be really fun.  That trail has a ton of character and is one of my favorites.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
snoloco wrote
I want snowmaking everywhere that it's humanly possible.  I like minimal reliance on nature to provide the goods.  
This hurts my soul.  Please stop.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote

Trails with character and snowmaking don't have to be mutually exclusive is more accurate.  Problem is that if you use sled guns, you create these weird piles of snow that can be very icy and pretty much unskiable.  Only solution to that is to groom, or install tower guns which need a wide trail to work properly.  If they don't get a wide trail, they make one themselves by destroying the trees within 100 feet.  A trail that is groomed can still have "character" and it can always be left ungroomed after fresh snow.

Hunter grooms Annapurna on all weekends and weekdays after a freeze thaw.  Otherwise they let it bump up.  I imagine it will be a full on bump run come spring, which will be really fun.  That trail has a ton of character and is one of my favorites.
The kid is baiting you guys.

I guess I'm taking it though cuz I gotta say, man made snow is not "the goods". Good natural terrain trails don't benefit from fake snow. In fact, it destroys the experience for some people. If every available skiing experience was what you seem to prefer I wouldn't ski any longer. I would be bored out of my mind.

Have you ever experienced trails such as Goat, Liftline or Robins at Smuggs, the Castlerock area at Sugarbush, or all of MRG? Try putting fake snow on those trails and then grooming them! Terrible idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
That trail <annapurna>has a ton of character and is one of my favorites.
It's a nice trail, good pitch, long vert, no intersections... but tons of character? I think that's because it's a bright spot on a mountain (that I like) where many trails ski quite similarly, especially on the front side.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
ml242 wrote
snoloco wrote
That trail <annapurna>has a ton of character and is one of my favorites.
where many trails ski quite similarly, especially on the front side.
Disagree 100%.  I find that Hunter's trails have plenty of diversity.  They are seldom parallel and even if they are, the pitch varies between them.  For example, Racer's Edge, Eisenhower, Gun Hill, and Kennedy are parallel, but they are all of different pitch and ski differently.  Hellgate, Cliff, East Side, Minya, and Jimmie Heuga all ski completely different.  Combining conditions, terrain, lifts, and other factors, I find it to be the best option in the Catskills.  Definitely has more diversity than Windham and Belleayre.  Plattekill definitely has the terrain with the most character in the Catskills, but doesn't have snowmaking everywhere, so in a year like this, not all of it will be open.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I'm pissing myself right now, Huntah? WTF?

You need to smash slush bumps all day and crush beers for apres while lining up a nice kitty cat or maybe two to wrestling late into the night son. You know, that coming of age sh#t.