141 messages Options
1 ... 101112131415
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Geeky Trail Building Thread.

gorgonzola wrote
some serious bench cut, all by hand?
Haha! Good eye, nope. That section was hand finished machine build.
Reply |

I’ve got 12 days of building in over the last 14! I’m loving it.

gorgonzola gorgonzola
Reply |

Nice, one of our local tracks is 90% machine built/hand finished - the previous trail boss owned an equipment rental business and along with some pro design (dirtsculpt dave) made for some great build progress. Unfortunately politics mucked it up a bit and halted progress and we even lost some mileage with (bogus?) E&S regs and nesting ground limitations. Hopefully things seem to be getting back on track and the next phase is supposedly approved to start this  summer - pro build vs. volunteer so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5533437/north-range-loop

Reply |

gorgonzola wrote
Nice, one of our local tracks is 90% machine built/hand finished - the previous trail boss owned an equipment rental business and along with some pro design (dirtsculpt dave) made for some great build progress. Unfortunately politics mucked it up a bit and halted progress and we even lost some mileage with (bogus?) E&S regs and nesting ground limitations. Hopefully things seem to be getting back on track and the next phase is supposedly approved to start this  summer - pro build vs. volunteer so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5533437/north-range-loop
Ugh.....politics.

We have had our share of that with this project as well but we keep pushing forward regardless. Man it's crazy how much of that there is with trails. I tend to build with bikes in mind and apparently that isn't appreciated by some of our more vocal local hiking community even though they obviously don't have a clue about sustainable trail building. Oh well, I won't stop no matter what. Gotta keep on with the fight.
Reply |

We finished up .5 mile of new tread on the Heart Trail project last week and got a bunch of new trail done on Little Elden during a volunteer event yesterday. We spent two 10 hour days building this rock armored wash crossing.

JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Very sweet looking build...
It's finally starting to dry out in the North East...
Now if I can only kick my addiction , riding bike park.  
"Peace and Love"
Reply |

There’s certainly worse addictions
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Does the water rip through there? How many inches of rain per year?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply |

Harvey wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Does the water rip through there? How many inches of rain per year?
It sure does. Flagstaff averages 18 inches of precip a year, a lot of that comes during our monsoon season which generally kicks off in July-ish. Those thunder storms tend to be heavy and fast so drainages like this one can run pretty good. That’s why we used such big rocks, many of which we had to use a grip hoist to move.
gorgonzola gorgonzola
Reply |

i like the "where's waldo?" effect!
1 ... 101112131415