classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
176 messages Options
1 ... 56789
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Geeky Trail Building Thread.

JasonWx
Fine work...this sounds like a broken record..but I will get out there...to be honest that riding looks more fun then Sedona..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
JasonWx wrote
Fine work...this sounds like a broken record..but I will get out there...to be honest that riding looks more fun then Sedona..
Let me know Jason, I’ll give you the full tour.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It’s been a busy summer so I haven’t posted in here much. Here’s a bit of an update.

We stopped working on Heart as monsoon season started and then we had the fire on Elden. We are back on it this coming week and I’m really excited. I’ve also been continuing with the trail Faeries volunteer days on weekends when I can. The crew leader position for ACE has been a great experience so far but it’s hard. We often are in the field for eight days straight for ten hour days doing extremely hard work. Hopefully ina year or two I’ll have my own jobs lined up but for now I’m working on my resume and reputation. Here’s where we left off on Heart.

The trail is looking beautiful and we are starting to gain some legit elevation. It’s gonna be a sick descent!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
After the heart I was out doing trail work re-establishing a hiking trail in the Kendrick Peak Wilderness area but after the fire we were pulled from there to make sandbags for areas in Flagstaff that are in danger of serious flooding from fire damage. After 8 days of sand bagging and creating barriers for homes I was extremely excited to be done and get into the Grand Canyon for some trail work where we built a rock liner wall for a drain. The approach was only about 1.7 miles to the work site but it’s the Canyon so it’s steep and there was zero shade where the project was and it was HOT. Still, not bad views from the office.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
After the Canyon we went back to the Kendrick Peak Wilderness area to continue work on the Bull Basin Trail. By day five our approach was around 3 miles. It was a rugged tour no doubt.

Here’s a rock staircase we built.

Before.

After.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The Kendrick Peak Wilderness area has seen a lot of fire since 2000 but it’s still extremely beautiful.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Progress on Little Elden has continued all summer as well with volunteer efforts and should be completed by the end of October.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
sweet work bro
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Thanks Jason!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I am grateful for the trail crews in my area. they have given more joy then I can say , all at no cost to me. I do donate money, but I don't have the time or the back to help build. So thanks!!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
JasonWx wrote
I am grateful for the trail crews in my area. they have given more joy then I can say , all at no cost to me. I do donate money, but I don't have the time or the back to help build. So thanks!!!
Donations make the dream happen!

Rock work from yesterday. This turned out really good. The little up and over makes for a good climbing feature, a slow roll on the down or a small drop with more speed and it’s perfect steps for hikers. I love it when a a rock worked section works so well for different user groups!

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I was 3 short on our crew the past two weeks but we still managed to reach our goal of .5 mile of newly constructed tread. It hurt.

Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Any overhead drone shots of what you've accomplished so far?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
No, not yet but that would be pretty cool. I’ll try to get that in the spring probably tho after it’s complete.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Work continues. We are camped out tonight at 9200 ft. It’s gonna be cold with overnight lows in the teens up here.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
New switchback build over rad volcanic spires with some exposure.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
that looks so freaken sweet..looks better then Sedona..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I’m not sure it’s better but it’s different for sure. It is a big descent! Sedona doesn’t have those!

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Progress continues. With a little over a mile left I can’t wait to get this project finished. This side of the mountain is just brutal to bench trail into. I spent 4 hours the other day to knock out ten feet.

1 ... 56789