Getting Intoxicated on the Mountain

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
43 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Getting Intoxicated on the Mountain

nepa
I see it a lot... weather it's smoking weed, or some dirty assed hippy drinking a can of PBR while huffing down a Newport in the lift line or sitting next to me on the lift.  I freely admit... I like both beer and weed, but not while I'm on the mountain.

For me personally, as long as it is done discreetly (or dare I say responsibly), although I find it annoying, I don't think it should be prohibited.  Unfortunately, discreet & responsible are terms not understood by many who choose to take part.  I assume there must be local policies for alcohol (Obviously, weed is pretty cut & dry in states where it is illegal).  At Mission Ridge, it's clearly stated... leave your weed at home... the ski area is on NFS land; therefore it is still illegal.  I don't know if there is a policy associated with booze, and I have seen no evidence of enforcement on either substance.

What do you think?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Getting Intoxicated on the Mountain

PeeTex
Good God - what's next:

I smell it a lot... weather it's from eating beans, or some dirty assed hippy who hasn't bathed or brushed his teeth in a week sitting next to me on the lift.  I freely admit... I like both chili and cabbage, but not while I'm on the mountain.

For me personally, as long as it is done discreetly (or dare I say responsibly), although I find it annoying, I don't think it should be prohibited.  Unfortunately, discreet & responsible are terms not understood by many who choose to let loose.  I assume there must be local policies for flatulence.  Whether it
is in a Gondola or on an airplane...  I don't know if there is a policy associated with bad breath either, and I have seen no evidence of enforcement on either emission.

What do you think?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Is your beer limiting your development?
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Smoking anything on the gondi or lift should be off limits.  Those things are small and you're in a confined space and it's not fair to the other occupants to subject them to whatever it is you're partaking in.  Sharing a hip flask, I'm okay with that and would partake if offered.  It's clean, neat, a pull is not likely to get you wasted and it's over before you know it.  You wanna' drink a beer on the lift or the gondi, don't care, just keep that empty on your person.  If you're able to carry it full, you should be able to tote around the empty till you're near a garbage pail!  I can't stand seeing the empties underneath the lift!  I'm here for nature too damn it!  As far as drinking to get drunk, I don't understand why someone would take that risk.  You're pursuing a potentially dangerous activity!  Don't make it harder than it already is.  And we don't want to see you losing your lunch outside the lodge, like I've seen once.  C'mon, people!  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Seriously i do not want to be sujected to ANY second hand smoke legal or lllegal in a confined place like a Gondi . I have seen first hand the ravages of cancer at our regional cancer center from weed of any variety . As a board member i am genuinely concerned about Population Health

I ask RESPECT of that notion by all.. You want to KILL yourself fine ,do it privately and do not INFRINGE on either the space , health ,or well being of others
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Generally, I treat skiing like the sport that it is. I wouldn't smoke a joint and chug a 6 pack before I played pickup basketball, so I try to keep it on the straight and narrow most of the day, then do my relaxing afterwards. I occasionally break down for last run.

But there are occasions (super mellow backcountry, sidecountry adventure, relaxed Spring skiing day) when I'll have a beer (or whatever) and then do some more "skiing", which is usually more of a relaxed jaunt. I like drinking and partying sports (golf, pool, etc.), but I don't really consider skiing to be in that genre.

That being said, I'd love to have some "European" ski experiences of long, beer soaked lunches followed by some sketchy ass runs down to some village tavern to do more drinking.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I agree with Matt I just don't do it except maybe one beer late in the spring

In Europe it's another thing entirely where having a 2 hour lunch with wine or beer is part of the experience.  I usually would plan the lunch late so I get lots of skiing in before that and just ski out from there which still could be quite a bit of skiing.

I also don't consider golf to be a drinking sport.  I'm a low single digit hcp player and walk all my rounds.  I have one beer and I lose all feel in my short game.  Beer is for the 19th hole.  I think drinking on the course is why there is so much slow play which is the biggest issue in golf today.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What is the law about drinking and skiing?  If it is illegal there is zero enforcement. Seems like almost all mountains are selling alcohol and I've never even seen a sign about it near the lifts.

When I skied the Alps I would do as coach mentioned. Postpone lunch as long as I could and have one beer. I couldn't ski that well after lunch, beer or no.  Maybe it was fatigue trying to keep up with my nieces, or altitude or just huge spring bumps.  Somehow I never considered I was doing anything wrong, and I didn't feel I was a danger to anyone, just that I'd lose my form.

Regarding second hand smoke, I agree lighting up without the consent of others in a confined space is rude. Personally I'd only make an issue out if it if there were children in the cabin.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

wedeler
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
This post was updated on .
Way too funny pee-tex
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Golf as a drinking sport:

It depends on who I'm playing with. I know a lot of people who don't keep score and love to get "tuned up" as soon as possible on the course, and I'll join in for that. But if I'm playing in my league after work, I generally don't drink until after (unless I really suck that day and I might as well start drinking because it can't hurt). And I always walk, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
PeeTex wrote
Good God - what's next:
I'm not sure how to interpret this. Are you implying that I have violated a NYSB policy by speaking openly about the fact that I like to smoke pot?

Let me go take a few bong hits, and then I'll ask the moderator.

Request for Moderator Opinion
Harvey. I'd like to start by saying Thank You. I understand & appreciate the effort that goes into running a show like NYSB. Clearly, you & and all of the contributors to the effort do a fantastic job at bringing together people that share a common passion and love for the Mountains. Thanks again to all who are involved. Out of respect for your effort, and the viewing preferences of others on this forum, I just want to make sure that I am not influencing the creation of content that you do not approve of (e.g. violating a written or unwritten policy).

In the interest of full disclosure: When I lived in PA, In addition to my many friends that are in the military, I also often got HIGH with a cop, a priest, and my best friends mom.

A simple yes or no will suffice to the following:

Does this topic violate any of the content management policies associated with NYSB?

PeeTex. If you are implying (by your childish rant) that I have compromised my own or my friends privacy by speaking openly about smoking pot on an internet forum, all I will say is that I disagree.

I have worked in the field of Data Science for over a decade. I have a full understanding how data is harvested and what can and can't be used against people.

If you don't like the topic, instead of polluting the thread with a childish rant... exercise your right not to participate in the discussion.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Let me spell it out to you - read slowly so you can take it all in.

I  t h i n k  t h i s  i s  a n o t h e r  s t u p i d  t o p i c.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
N o t  a  f a n  o f  t o p i c  p o l i c e
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
PeeTex wrote

I  t h i n k  t h i s  i s  a n o t h e r  s t u p i d  t o p i c.
Ok, so ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
A simple yes or no will suffice to the following:

Does this topic violate any of the content management policies associated with NYSB?
I have never successfully given a one word answer on any question to my knowledge.

We don't really have specific content restrictions, beyond spam. Which is not to say we wouldn't delete or restrict content we found hateful or somehow unacceptable. We reserve that right.  This thread seems pretty harmless to me.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
PeeTex wrote
I t h i n k t h i s i s a n o t h e r s t u p i d t o p i c.
I'm not going to get into a pissing match over it. As I said, be an adult. You have every right not to participate. If you are not going to add anything meaningful... exercise that right.
PeeTex wrote
Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. I find it amusing that you are able to evaluate a topic as "s t u p i d" in one sentence, but then in then next sentence, you clearly demonstrate that you can barely speak good English. You don't spell things out TO people. Typically, you spell things out FOR people.

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I am always intoxicated by the mountains, I wish everyone felt similarly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by wedeler
wedeler wrote
Seems there are quite a few skiers and riders who spend the afternoon sitting at the bar.  I see it at most mountains I visit.

Afternoon? Hell, I have witnessed people drinking seriously well before noon recently. Sat down at the mid mountain lodge at ABasin for a few minutes to drink some water at 10:30, and the two young men at the table next to us had a healthy shot of whiskey and a pint of beer. Hey, I'm far from a teetotaler, but, man, I guess a lot of alcoholics like to ski, too. I was buckling up late at Loveland this Saturday (Spring skiing), and I look over and there's already eight people hunkered over at the bar. At, again, about 10:30. In boots and ski clothes. I mean, why go through all the hassle of driving up, parking, booting up, buying a ticket, and then sitting down to drink beer? He'll, why even leave the abode? Just crack a PBR and watch Three Stooges reruns in your underwear.
There was a guy in a ski house share at Killington about ten years ago I belonged to that, I'm pretty sure, never skied. At least I never saw him ski. He had a season pass, nice clothes, two (!) pair of skis, but basically drank heavily all weekend. Bartenders he knew had to drive him home and shove him in the door. Yes, skiing has quite a serious drinking problem. I won't ski Hunter on a Saturday, because that place is the worst I have ever seen.

Btw, the parking lots in Colorado, as you could imagine, smell of the finest weed in the morning. Then there's all the people flying around the slopes on edibles.......
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Hey, you never know someone's circumstances, so it might be a bit off base to start labeling everyone who's drinking at 11:00 am an alcoholic.  Heck, when I'm on the gondola at 8am (first tracks) and am skiing hard with my brother I'm usually ready for a breather come 11:00, and it's nice to share a beer or bloody with my brother and shoot the shit for a bit while we take an early lunch......but to some we are just the whacked alcoholics waiting for the Cloudspin Lounge to unlock at 11:00 on a Saturday.....

If you've ever been around alcoholics you'd likely know that a bunch of guys partying together, albeit at 10:30 am, are most likely not.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!