Giant Resort Companies You Hate Are Saving Skiing

Is it true?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2367016/keep-skiing-weird
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Brownski Brownski
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Giant Resort Companies You Hate Are Saving Skiing

Are they saving skiing? No. Mount Peter is. Feeder hills are what is required to keep Vail stocked with customers. Does Mount Peter need Vail?

Do they make skiing more affordable? Well, sure. At least, they make skiing at those giant, expensive hills less out of reach. There are lots of ways to make skiing affordable though.

Do they open up better career paths for people who want to work in the industry? I doubt it. Who knows though. The author didn’t really offer any evidence of that. He just stated it.

The bit about weird skiing culture seemed a little unfocused to me. Society over all is less weird and more homogenized then it used to be. Blame the schools.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Multi resort passes don’t appeal to me but I can see why others like them. I never cared about ski towns, just give me a clean room and a good meal and I’m set. Better more stable employment, it’s a seasonal business.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
. Society over all is less weird and more homogenized then it used to be. Blame the schools.
What?
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Consolidation is going on in every business, and it isn't good:

https://concentrationcrisis.openmarketsinstitute.org/

It allows 1 or 2 or 3 huge entities to control an entire market. It's bad for consumers, bad for labor, bad for innovation, and bad for competition.

I hope Vail & Alterra go the way of ASC.
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

I wasn't aware that Winter Park started the Colorado season-pass wars in the late 90s.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I hope Vail & Alterra go the way of ASC.
So then why did you buy the MAX pass?

WOoHOO!!!

My new Season's Pass.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
. Society over all is less weird and more homogenized then it used to be. Blame the schools.
What?
Blame the parents? I don’t know.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
A few logical fallacies are presented in this article.

The first is that skiers who complain about big conglomerate homogenized resorts actually ski at those resorts and benefit from the season passes. There is not a race to the bottom on season pass prices. Ski areas and resorts not on the multi-area season pass band wagon continue to have high season pass prices, continue to increase season pass prices, and continue to have their loyal following buy those passes.

As someone else previously mentioned, the feeder areas are the core of keeping the bigger areas open in the long term and "saving skiing". New skiers and infrequent skiers (that spend the most at resorts) are not buying season passes at the big resorts. Even with lower prices, they don't ski enough to make it worth it. Extraordinary day ticket prices hurt these folks that might never get up to the big mountains enough for them to think a season pass is worth it.

The low season pass prices only benefit folks that would already have paid the higher prices. But it is a zero sum game for most skiers... a low pass price only serves to siphon off a season pass holder at another area, perhaps a non-multi resort area. How is that going to "save skiing"? It could only help to hurt the competition, which are not feeder areas.

Finally, the multi-resort area ownership hurts jobs. By combining many areas under one umbrella, a business can reduce the number of people that do overlapping work and create more specialization. Specialization means it is harder to develop a broad base of skills and move up the ladder, especially now that there are fewer and fewer total positions. That is one of the ways they can make the cheap season pass work.

It isn't all bad and I stopped ragging on the big resorts long ago, it was a pointless and silly thing to do. I just don't ski at areas that don't appeal to me. The lower price season pass is great for people that like to ski those mountains. But to put this type of thing up on a pedestal and say that it is "saving skiing" is ludicrous.
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
Okay, I realize I am definitely not representing the majority here, but if you want to "save skiing", do exactly this:

Buy this and do this:

or maybe this:

and definitely this:

Ski local and fuck those corporate assholes.

I'm not saying you have to completely give up on lifts, but skiing used to be a lot more like Trail mountain biking is now.  A lot of AT and Tele setups can be used dual purpose for lift-served and human powered skiing.

1234 ... 12