Google "Rivian"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google "Rivian"

DomB
From what I have seen about it being 30% less efficient than Tesla X (which gets 110 mpg-e), you'll be closer to 70-80 mpg-e for everyday driving.  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
For  a 100k I'll buy a real truck, tractor, splitter, and chainsaw with beer money leftover.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by DomB
What is an ICE truck?  Also what does Google have to do with it?

I like seeing the effort made, even if this isn't "it".
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I plan to charge it at my house, rarely if ever having to visit a charging station. The vehicle itself will be a lot less maintenance. The initial investment will be about 100k but that gets me fuel for the next 20 years and a really cool vehicle.... And with any luck help get us of oil. Wouldn't it be great to tell those Saudis to go pack salt.
That vehicle is 100k?
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
If they want to win hearts and minds, they should set one up for the truck pull circuit and show what all that torque can do. I'd also consider putting a giant Van de Graaff generator in the bed so it shoots lightning, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Harvey
ICE is internal combustion engine. RICE (rotating ICE) is more common in my business, just so you know it's not in case of emergency.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by timbly
Hahahahaha ha!

Doh! On the ICE!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
I like seeing the effort made, even if this isn't "it".
This is how I view it as well. My gut feeling is that we’re a long way away from this being the solution for everybody but it’ll work for some people and it pushes the technology forward
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
No but when you add the panels and entrance to the house between the two it's going to be 100k. Panels will last 20 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
https://electrek.co/2019/06/02/tesla-pickup-truck-price-f150-elon-musk/
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In the 70's, Solargen Electric Motor Car Co converted AMC's into electric cars here in Cortland NY. I remember them specifically because their plant was right next door to my elementary school. Not much info on them but I did find this:

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/16/ebay-find-of-the-day-1980-amc-hornet-electric-car/
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
or some box Chardonnay if your a yuppie
It's generically referred to as "card-bordeaux" there, boss.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
D.B. Cooper wrote
PeeTex wrote
or some box Chardonnay if your a yuppie
It's generically referred to as "card-bordeaux" there, boss.
Thanks fer that there DeeBee
I'm gonna use that
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I'd like to also point out that not all of this is driven by economics.  Consideration of emissions is an important factor for some, and EV's cause drastically less emissions than ICEs (including the manufacturing AND fueling AND disposal/recycling process over the life of a vehicle).  

The well-to-wheel emissions of an ICE vs. an EV is 2:1 nationally.  In good ol' NY, it is 5:1, according to the Department of Energy. In a place like Vermont where most of the energy is from renewable sources, the ratio is a staggering 99:1.  

So, if you have 2 EV's, you likely have the same or less emissions as 1 ICE.  

Of course, making an EV causes more emission than an ICE, but I perceive that to be negated in about 18 months based on the interweb and sources below.

Given that transportation is the largest source of US emissions and responsible for 29% of CO2 emissions, this is pretty amazing.  

Sources:
-ICE to EV emissions (emissions of electricity production):  https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-950-november-7-2016-well-wheel-emissions-typical-ev-state-2015
-US Emissions by sector:  https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I think there will be a market for these, albeit a small one. That said they'll have to create their own market. Trucks guys are some of the most brand loyal people out there.
Camp - I know I am taking this out of context as you were talking about the potential market for the EV truck, but it prompted something I learned recently that shocked me:  Tesla Model 3 is dominating the midsize luxury sedan market.  I would have never believed that.

Quick google search shows that in January 2019, Model 3 was about 25% of those sales, and about double the next two closest competitors each (BMW 5 series and Mercedes E).  That is only one month of data but I was surprised enough when I heard someone say that to check.  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Like EV's luxury sedans are in the more money than brains category imo. Sedan sales are at an all time low as well, damn near dead. Trucks, SUV's and crossovers are what have been driving the market for the past couple of years.

Right now EV's haven't arrived. I'm sure they will in time but I doubt it will be my lifetime. From what I can see they are for people who want to feel good about themselves for being "green". Fine with me but wait until all these batteries start to fail and have to be disposed of. That's far from green.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
For me its not having to pay for fuel anymore.  You think those prices for gas in 2007 are gone forever?  I also like smoking tires.  I care about the environment but not that much.  I want the versatility of pick up and not the cost of filling it up at the pump.  Wait till these dumb dumb heads start paying 120 bucks to fill their tanks up so they can feel cool.  I would say most of the people that drive pickups have more money than brains.  Right now I drive a sedan and have a 4+8 aluminum trailer to move stuff around.
They are here to stay.  Elon Musk is going to go down in the history books.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You'll have to keep that thing for a bazillion years to offset the cost. Once the pricing comes down to earth they'll be in the game.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I'm not really looking to recoup the cost.  More like a science project to see how far I can take it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cool --- I'll be curious to see how it does for you.

Part of Tesla's success is do to other manufactures not selling EV's or Hybrids. It get's real political but in a nutshell each manufacturer has to sell X amount of EV's or Hybrids. For each car they sell they get X amount of points. If the amount of points don't add up to what their total should be they can buy credits from another manufacturer who may have extra. Currently Tesla is the only one with credits available to purchase.