classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Google "Rivian"

DomB
Hi guys and gals -

Given the outdoorsiness of this group and its interesting, friendly, and combative nature, please share your thoughts on Rivian.  If you haven't heard about them, google 'em.

The price tag is high, but I am told it is on par with high-end ICE trucks (i.e. 150 Raptor)

If this gets to production, it will be an amazingly capable vehicle (truck and SUV sharing over 90% of parts).  The  engineering seems intriguing.  EV motors on each wheel, 0-60 between 4.9 and 3 seconds depending on model, and ranges between 240, 310, and 410.  High torque starting at 0 rpm.  Skid plate built in and made with Kevlar. . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Google "Rivian"

Brownski
It’s a cool idea, nice to see somebody pushing the technology forward. I feel like we’ve been waiting for the in-hub electric motors for a while now... I remembered reading something about it a while back,
https://www.outsideonline.com/2371726/electric-trucks-rivian-new-analysis
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's no truck
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
How come Camp?  

The truck has 11,000 pounds towing capacity (if they get produced).  

I like the suv because at some point we will need to get the third row in my family.  

Rivian went to (is at?) the overland expo with an attachment in the ski storage area that is a camp stove.  Thought you would like that.   😬
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
From the pictures the bed appears worthless for hauling ----- reminds me of a bigger Baja, or the Honda Ridgeline. I guess it would be good for the guy who goes to Home Depot for mulch and what not, but I can't see that thing going out into the woods for firewood. That's what I meant.

For that price tag one could get a sweet "real" truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I'm getting the pick up truck if they produce them at the cost they say. I put my deposit down. Going to put solar panels on the roof for fuel. I don't need a pick up but always wanted one. I put to many miles on vehicles to justify fuel costs.
If it works out the way I plan I'll be done with gas. Zero to 60 in three seconds is pretty cool to.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yeah cause the sun shines all the time up in LP
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
OMG you sound like Robinhood
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LARRY!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Got it.  Can’t disagree with your thoughts on the styling.  

But Rivian is apparently planning interchangeable parts for hauling - flatbed, bars, truckbed and cab.  

Article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/rivian-swappable-bed-modules/amp/
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I think there will be a market for these, albeit a small one. That said they'll have to create their own market. Trucks guys are some of the most brand loyal people out there.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
The trucks are interesting, but the pricing is expensive.
The cheapest at $69k (the pickup) has a 230 mile range, which is probably a 180 mile range in cold weather/leaving some room to find a charging location. That is basically useless for the people they seem to be marketing towards.

You can spend $40k-$50k on a nice truck with 400+ mile range and have 20 years of gas money left over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I still wonder why nobody tries a straight diesel electric system. I think it’s pretty common for heavy machinery and maritime applications.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
Brownski wrote
I still wonder why nobody tries a straight diesel electric system. I think it’s pretty common for heavy machinery and maritime applications.
Because you are still using fossil fuels. Hydrogen fuel cells are a better choice mainly made by Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai and sold in California.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
I think there will be a market for these, albeit a small one. That said they'll have to create their own market. Trucks guys are some of the most brand loyal people out there.
I’m betting they would sell a lot more of these if the combined a honky donk yuppie bar at each recharging station. You could sit around for the hour or two swigging the beast (or some box Chardonnay if your a yuppie) while you truck gets charged. Could be a cult thing. Maybe a few faux deer heads just to make it manly
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
PeeTex wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I’m betting they would sell a lot more of these if the combined a honky donk yuppie bar at each recharging station. You could sit around for the hour or two swigging the beast (or some box Chardonnay if your a yuppie) while you truck gets charged. Could be a cult thing. Maybe a few faux deer heads just to make it manly
LOL

Def in the more money than brains category
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The truck version looks like an SUV without the back part. Worst of both worlds?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
The truck version looks like an SUV without the back part. Worst of both worlds?
Yeah as others have pointed out it probably wouldn’t be super useful for people that really utilize their trucks for work but might appeal to people who have bought Avalanches or ridgelines in the past. Maybe wealthy horse people for instance. Somebody who wants to tow something that’s not too enormous and transport messy, stinky, wet stuff outside of the passenger compartment. There’s a market but it’s probably a small one. I don’t see too many snow plow operators jumping onboard.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I plan to charge it at my house, rarely if ever having to visit a charging station. The vehicle itself will be a lot less maintenance. The initial investment will be about 100k but that gets me fuel for the next 20 years and a really cool vehicle.... And with any luck help get us of oil. Wouldn't it be great to tell those Saudis to go pack salt.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
How many of those big honking trucks are actually used for what they were made for. Even you. Two times a year? I want to be able to shoot shit in the back and get 35 mpg. I'll go zero to 60 in the 3 seconds. When I'm too drunk to drive I'll get in and tell it to take me home. The four motors are going to make for the best 4wd capabilities. I love the skateboard platform. I'm nervous they are going to cheap out on the suspension. I want something similar to the Ford raptors.
Then I'll tool around with the cruise set at 80 and not use any of it's capability.