classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
56 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Base Lodge Rehab

Jackalope
K man wrote
They put the new grill at the end of the patio where everyone liked to sit in the sun??????
Not only that, but the new "grill", (actually a commercial kitchen) is so close to the base lodge that it blocks the view from three of the nine banks of picture windows that form the front of the base lodge.  The former view of the base area, gondola, and top of Bear is now replaced with the back of a T-111 shed that houses the kitchen.  But wait, there's more.  The promised new deck...it doesn't exist.  The old deck near the Tannery side entrance...removed.  I think its incredible.  Who would do such a thing, and what would be their motivations?  

Last weekend everyone I know who saw the situation remarked negatively.  One guy mentioned to Kurt that the new shed blocked the view from the picture windows, and Kurt's response was dismissive:  "just move if you don't like it."  Nice attitude.    
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Goreskimom wrote
The Saddle rules.
if the saddle is Gore's mid mt lodge - it really is not very good in my opinion

its super cramped and nearly impossible to get a table - the food is pretty lame and the line is back to the door - it does have a nice view up stairs

WF's mid station lodge is much larger, has better food and has the bistro downstairs as a premium option

To me its not even a close comparison - its like comparing a yugo to a range rover
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
There is no doubt that WF lodge is "better".  I just happen to enjoy the Saddle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
I just find it funny how killington had so much damage from Irene at the end of august and was able to have everything running in October and get everything put back together in November including removing all the rumble from the pub, then filling in that hole and building a new patio, removing all the concrete from Snowshed an then regrade, fixing the snowmaking house, and removing all the concrete from skyeship and regrade. I hiked gore in June and noticed that the deck was about half way down. Back up in early July and it was in peices on the ground. Late July, still in pieces. Wasn't back up till October and still NOTHING was there. I honestly can't believe they have nothing to show for it other than that grill/kitchen. I'd say whoever had to idea to put it there should be ______ , but at the same time it's not the first bright idea they have had. I love the mountain to death but they have some morons working there.

Aaaaannnnnddddddd end rant. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
We were amazed at the lack of progress in the renovations at Gore. I didn't see any evidence of a new patio outside the locker rooms, and the Tannery looks just as run-down as ever.  I don't know how they are going to get that renovated and open without losing a lot of the ski season. Since they don't seem to have done anything, they might as well just open it as is.  On the bright side, the Mountain Adventure kids did get a nice new cabin instead of a trailer.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
At WF the J Lohr wine bar is totally ripped up and doesn't look like it will be ready before xmas
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Looks like the new Sundeck Grill is coming along:

photo courtesy of Gore Mountain
Where the hell am I going to lean my skis in the morning? Son of a...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Both mountains need to get those bars up and running ASAP.  The Tannery must make a fortune for Gore as it's always packed from 3 pm on.  That is unless it's run by Centerplate. Is it?  

As Poindexter indicated, the Tannery bar is far from renovated.  Over Thanksgiving weekend, the only change that I noticed was the application of yellow caution tape on the support beams.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
CMR wrote
As Poindexter indicated, the Tannery bar is far from renovated.  Over Thanksgiving weekend, the only change that I noticed was the application of yellow caution tape on the support beams.
We skied and hit the Tannery last Friday. I couldn't believe what hadn't been done after the web site trumpeted the renovations all summer. I saw 2 guys hardly working. The tables were unavailable. I could see that the copper tubing for the renovated men's room is being run on the outside wall. I'm no plumber, but that seems kinda dumb to me.

The reason for all of this -- although Centerplate provided the cash, Gore refused to hire outside contractors and left the renovations up to the Ski Patrol. Do you get the feeling that key people at Gore don't communicate with each other?

To be fair, all state workers have to do more work with less manpower AND have to take furlough days. In other words, a pay cut. It may have seemed like a good money-saving idea at the time, but I doubt the Ski Patrol had any spare time to get this extra work done.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Gore did not refuse to hire outside contractors, Gore DOES NOT hire outside contractors. ALL labor on the mt is handled
in house (ie: patrolers, lift maintenance, snowmakers).
It's just the way it is. I understand it looks like nothing has been done, but I can assure you all that that Gore has been flat out with all of the improvements (not just the lodge improvements) since closing day last year. There is just a lot that still needs to be done, and with the marketing this year touting everything, it does not look the best. I do believe we will see a lot completed over the next few weeks, as the lodge and deck changes are now top priority.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Darkside Shaman wrote
It's just the way it is. I understand it looks like nothing has been done, but I can assure you all that that Gore has been flat out with all of the improvements (not just the lodge improvements) since closing day last year.
Shaman is right. The issue is always money in life.  You want to pay for outside labor to do the summer work, then you have to give up something else.  How about 80 new snow guns, instead of 130+ and the pub is done by now?  I'll take the guns. The amount of improvement going on at Gore right now is significant. When you factor in the current "climate"...
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Waitaminute. The ski patrol is doing renovation work?? uh oh.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Typical Gore marketing. Post something as it's an absolute when it may or may not happen. Such as posting there snow reports as what the forecast is.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Shaman is right. The issue is always money in life.  You want to pay for outside labor to do the summer work, then you have to give up something else.  How about 80 new snow guns, instead of 130+ and the pub is done by now?  I'll take the guns. The amount of improvement going on at Gore right now is significant. When you factor in the current "climate"...
I agree, I'll take the guns over beer.  I had no idea that all construction work was performed by the Gore Staff.  The pace of renovation makes more sense in light of that fact.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
I'll take new snow guns over the bar anyday. I didn't think the Tannery was that bad to start with. I allways had a good time in there. Lets wait and see what happens.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Regarding outside workers.....killing ton has used (in the past) foreign workers paying below market wages and giving housing.....the question then is if u want to compare the work done u have to compare and consider the bigger economic picture.   Maybe I don't know but I have not seen migrant worker at Gore and would think the town would not be happy if the took local jobs ...  me. I can waiting for the work to get done.      That noted, if the views are hampered, bad move Gore.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jackalope
This post was updated on .
 Per Harvey:  
"Sunday, June 19, 2011
Gore Mountain Lodge Improvements
Last year, the board of directors for New York's Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA), authorized Ted Blazer to negotiate a new contract with Centerplate as the concessionaire for the authority.

Gore Mountain's Base Lodge and Tannery Pub

Part of the deal requires Centerplate to invest in the ORDA venues. Gore Mountain is targeting the public lodges for this capital improvement.

According to Mike Pratt, Gore's General Manager, the list of changes and improvements slated for this summer is significant:

•Demolishing the old wooden deck and building a new steel deck directly off the bar.
•Correcting drainage issues by the doors that access the lower-level lockers.
•Installing snow grade picnic tables by those doors next to the stairs for the steel deck.
•The outdoor food service area will be relocated to the far side of the patio. It will be a cabin style set-up that will function as a coffee/juice bar in the mornings, serve lunch specials mid-day, and be open as a bar with specialty snacks in the afternoon.
•The Tannery public area, kitchens and bathrooms are also being remodeled. There will be a new menu served on china, with silver and glassware.
Centerplate is paying for upgrades to the outdoor food service area, Tannery Pub and the Tannery Deck.

In addition, the Ski Bowl and Saddle Lodge will have improved kitchen facilities. The Saddle Lodge kitchen's upgrade will accommodate new menu additions including pizza. The Ski Bowl will be outfitted with an oven to improve offerings for breakfast, lunch and nighttime operations."  

Maybe I'm off the mark, but I think we may be looking at an outrageous situation.  Centerplate, faced with the expiration of their concession contract, entered into what was according to ORDA a competitive bidding process, and were eventually awarded a new ten year contract (the old ones were never longer than five years) that included givebacks in the form of up front payments to ORDA.  As originally described, there were to be strings attached to the money, restricting its use to fund improvements to the lodge facilities at Gore, and probably Whiteface too.  Back on June 19, Harvey outlined above the improvements slated for Gore this year.

Where are the improvements?  Except for a view blocking incomplete T 111 shed containing some parts for a commercial kitchen, and the bar bathrooms that are under construction, they don't exist.  Where's the money that was supposed to be paid by Centerplate?  Clearly, except as already said, it wasn't spent on improvements to the base lodge facilities at Gore, at least not yet.  What happened to it?

Did ORDA get a good deal?  I  keep thinking there's almost no way any member of the ORDA board of directors would allow a vendor to build a view blocking commercial kitchen thirty feet in front of any picture windows with expensive views they own.  Yet, it's happened at Gore in conjunction with this deal.  Why?  What was it about this deal that motivated the ORDA board to authorize such a long extension that included something they probably would never personally allow?  Am I wrong to think there's a funny smell to this?
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Didn't make it up this weekend. Can anybody who went into the Tannery tell us if it was in any better shape than opening day?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Jackalope, you need to see a pysch as your priorities are way out of whack... GET OUT OF THE LODGE AND SKI!!!

Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Jackalope
Jackalope wrote
Per Harvey:  
"Sunday, June 19, 2011
Gore Mountain Lodge Improvements
Last year, the board of directors for New York's Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA), authorized Ted Blazer to negotiate a new contract with Centerplate as the concessionaire for the authority.

Gore Mountain's Base Lodge and Tannery Pub

Part of the deal requires Centerplate to invest in the ORDA venues. Gore Mountain is targeting the public lodges for this capital improvement.

According to Mike Pratt, Gore's General Manager, the list of changes and improvements slated for this summer is significant:

•Demolishing the old wooden deck and building a new steel deck directly off the bar.
•Correcting drainage issues by the doors that access the lower-level lockers.
•Installing snow grade picnic tables by those doors next to the stairs for the steel deck.
•The outdoor food service area will be relocated to the far side of the patio. It will be a cabin style set-up that will function as a coffee/juice bar in the mornings, serve lunch specials mid-day, and be open as a bar with specialty snacks in the afternoon.
•The Tannery public area, kitchens and bathrooms are also being remodeled. There will be a new menu served on china, with silver and glassware.
Centerplate is paying for upgrades to the outdoor food service area, Tannery Pub and the Tannery Deck.

In addition, the Ski Bowl and Saddle Lodge will have improved kitchen facilities. The Saddle Lodge kitchen's upgrade will accommodate new menu additions including pizza. The Ski Bowl will be outfitted with an oven to improve offerings for breakfast, lunch and nighttime operations."  

Maybe I'm off the mark, but I think we may be looking at an outrageous situation.  Centerplate, faced with the expiration of their concession contract, entered into what was according to ORDA a competitive bidding process, and were eventually awarded a new ten year contract (the old ones were never longer than five years) that included givebacks in the form of up front payments to ORDA.  As originally described, there were to be strings attached to the money, restricting its use to fund improvements to the lodge facilities at Gore, and probably Whiteface too.  Back on June 19, Harvey outlined above the improvements slated for Gore this year.

Where are the improvements?  Except for a view blocking incomplete T 111 shed containing some parts for a commercial kitchen, and the bar bathrooms that are under construction, they don't exist.  Where's the money that was supposed to be paid by Centerplate?  Clearly, except as already said, it wasn't spent on improvements to the base lodge facilities at Gore, at least not yet.  What happened to it?

Did ORDA get a good deal?  I  keep thinking there's almost no way any member of the ORDA board of directors would allow a vendor to build a view blocking commercial kitchen thirty feet in front of any picture windows with expensive views they own.  Yet, it's happened at Gore in conjunction with this deal.  Why?  What was it about this deal that motivated the ORDA board to authorize such a long extension that included something they probably would never personally allow?  Am I wrong to think there's a funny smell to this?
No answers?