Gore Cell Coverage

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Cell Coverage

tBatt
If you're really that concerned about it, get some two-way radios and use channel 9 sub channel 11 and contact ski patrol that way. Better be able to tell them EXACTLY where you are, if you don't plan on sending for help and leading them there.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
The AT&T tower on Gore is public. It provides Edge service in a southeasterly direction.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
If you're really that concerned about it, get some two-way radios and use channel 9 sub channel 11 and contact ski patrol that way. Better be able to tell them EXACTLY where you are, if you don't plan on sending for help and leading them there.
Gore does not monitor FRS radios. They do, however, have a dedicated emergency phone the number for which is printed on every ticket and season pass.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco
Does Mountain Creek give you a free season pass for coming on the forum and mentioning Mountain Creek 50 times per week? Is this some sort of twisted marketing scheme? I had never heard of Mountain Creek until you joined the forum. Otherwise, I really don't get it.

PS- MOUNTAIN CREEK IS IN NEW JERSEY!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by adkskier
adkskier wrote
The AT&T tower on Gore is public. It provides Edge service in a southeasterly direction.
That solves a longstanding mystery for me. I always wondered where that 2G signal came from.

AT&T is supposed to be phasing out their EDGE network. I wonder if they'll be allowed to upgrade that tower on Gore.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by dobermann
Was in response to this:

"Mountain Creek has got 4G coverage everywhere on the mountain.  That would be the privilege of being in North Jersey, an area with population rather than the middle of nowhere.  If you want to use your electronics, come to Mountain Creek.  Otherwise, put down the cell phones and ski."

And every other misplaced Mountain Creek post.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
adkskier wrote
That solves a longstanding mystery for me. I always wondered where that 2G signal came from.

AT&T is supposed to be phasing out their EDGE network. I wonder if they'll be allowed to upgrade that tower on Gore.
The tower needs no upgrade. It's all hardware. It's likely that will be the last site ever upgraded. There are issues with getting adequate bandwidth to the cell site.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Found out quite by accident yesterday that AT&T has LTE service in North Creek. As fast as 40 Mbps in the Tops parking lot.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LOL I found out by accident that on random occasion a txt pops up on my Verizon phone when I am at the cabin.  The day I get legit service it's buh bye Frontier.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Harvey wrote
LOL I found out by accident that on random occasion a txt pops up on my Verizon phone when I am at the cabin.  The day I get legit service it's buh bye Frontier.

You could try something like this with an external antenna. Assuming you get some kind of signal outside around your cabin

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/zboost-trio-soho-verizon-cell-signal-booster-zb575-v/
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Or if you know where the Verizon signal emanates from a directional antenna would be better

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/weboost-connect-3g-directional-signal-booster-kit-472205/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I only occasionally have one bar, not sure that would work?

Frontier is hitting me for $50/month for phone and $50/month for internet.  Not sure if they would drop me by $50 if I dropped the phone or not.  I doubt I could run the internet off a hot spot with a booster?  Me, Zelda and Neve too. With the DHL if Neve starts streaming it slows us all way down.

I was thinking if I got 4G and 4 bars drop the phone and internet and use the hotspot for web. It would be expensive but would 40 days a year cost me me $600 ($50 x 12)?  I could probably expense at least some of the hotspot too as it is a work phone.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harv -- friend of mine had zero cell service at his house. He put in one of those amplifiers and has had great luck with it. I'd say he's had it now for 2 years +/-
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
campgottagopee wrote
Harv -- friend of mine had zero cell service at his house. He put in one of those amplifiers and has had great luck with it. I'd say he's had it now for 2 years +/-
Yeah, the directional ones even more so if you know where it needs to be pointed
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
the other issue is Harvey hooking it up though

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Skimore knows me well.

I keep hoping it is going to happen without this extra expense. Would there be a way to test it to see if it would work before buying?

Is there a way to see what plans verizon has for new towers?

Verizon service does seem to be improving in the area. About halfway up the gondi at Gore my phone has 3G and 3 bars.  That wasn't true a few years ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I only occasionally have one bar, not sure that would work?

Frontier is hitting me for $50/month for phone and $50/month for internet.  Not sure if they would drop me by $50 if I dropped the phone or not.  I doubt I could run the internet off a hot spot with a booster?  Me, Zelda and Neve too. With the DHL if Neve starts streaming it slows us all way down.

I was thinking if I got 4G and 4 bars drop the phone and internet and use the hotspot for web. It would be expensive but would 40 days a year cost me me $600 ($50 x 12)?  I could probably expense at least some of the hotspot too as it is a work phone.
huh? Wouldn't you be dropping $1200? 50x2x12
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Meaning... if I knew Verizon wasn't going to put a tower in for several years and I knew the $300 unit would work it would be a nobrainer. If Verizon was going to do something soon, or the thing wasn't sure to work it might be a needless expense.