CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Cell Coverage

Harvey
Administrator
I can text from some places on the mtn. Actually got a mobile number from patrol but never tested it. Not a foolproof plan.  I also ski with a whistle.I'm bad because I do ski the trees alone.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
There are AT&T towers in North Creek, and Wevertown. I get coverage everywhere at Gore except on the Dark Side and the North, but I do get coverage at the top of the chairs 6 and chair 2 that service those areas.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Verizon is still pretty spotty around there last I checked. Any improvements there that anyone can confirm?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I saw on the news this AM that more than 5000 peeps were lined up for some new fancy phone in NYC.....what has this world come to  

Some had been lined up for 2 friggin weeks -TWO WEEKS for a GD phone. I can't comprehend that.

Rant over.

I do carry my phone while skiing, but only for tunes. If someone calls/texts I get back to them when my boots are off. Skiing is one of my escapes from reality....nothing will interupt that.

That said, obvi I would use it in case of an emergency.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
snoloco wrote
  That would be the privilege of being in North Jersey,  
Said no one ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I like being able to text when I ski, otherwise I'm just taking selfies for nothing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
snoloco wrote
  That would be the privilege of being in North Jersey,  
Said no one ever.
Bwahahahaha

Noah is back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
As Shaman say ATT has it solid coverage in that area.  For me, except for those 45 days a year when I am in the area Verizon is far superior. Plus it's a corporate plan so if I opt out it would cost me a lot.  On the other hand we have a land line at HQ that we really never use that is costing us $600 a year.

Once I was in Tahawas trees and my phone rang, kinda surprised the hell out of me.  The cool thing was the skiing was great and by taking a 20 min call in there I was able to extend my vacation 3 day.

I have one bar above 2500 feet and for me texting to connect with people (Zelda mostly) is far preferable to those obnoxious radios we were using before we able to text.  Often time texting is about "hey I want to take two more runs...cool?"  Worth it.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I like being able to text when I ski, otherwise I'm just taking selfies for nothing.
You can always show them to the person next to you on the lift.
Wait, if we have to call ski patrol, we're probably skiing alone in the woods. Nevermind.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by dobermann
AT&T
we switched once we got a place up there
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Service may increase in the new couple of months.  Verizon is installing a tower on the northern East shore of Lake George in Gull Bay (directly across lake from Hague).  I have no idea how far these towers emit a signal...
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Chris wrote
Service may increase in the new couple of months.  Verizon is installing a tower on the northern East shore of Lake George in Gull Bay (directly across lake from Hague).  I have no idea how far these towers emit a signal...
From what I read that seems like as stretch to get that signal from Gore.

This map is old and not sure what companies have what towers:

http://apa.ny.gov/_assets/Towers/CellularService_Park.pdf

IMO it's redonkulous that towers aren't shared by all companies.

Also can't figure out why the tower on top of Gore can't be used for cell. What is that police?
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
The short tower directly opposite the top of lift 7 is AT&T. The other towers are all gov't agencies. There is no chance any additional cellular will ever be installed on the summit.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Not much has changed since this thread:

http://nyskiblog.com/forums/#nabble-td2578620|a2607427

Verizon has done nothing to improve service in the area. AT&T has a Frankentower on the hill behind Barkeater Chocolates. You get 4G (not LTE) in town and on the mountain. If AT&T does have a tower on Gore Mountain, it's most likely for State Police or emergency services because it's not connected to the AT&T Wireless network. If it was connected to that network, I'd get a great signal at my cabin without the need for a signal booster.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
T-Mobile actually works somewhat well up there.  Halfway up the Gondola and my phone usually starts in.  

Personally... safety aside... I'm glad it doesn't work better.  Nothing makes me happier then when your in the Gondola with some douche bag on a phone and it cuts out.  Use the wifi in the lodge (password is moregore ...) and do your emailing them.  Maybe if they ever get fiber up to the top for a cam they will get wifi in saddle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by dobermann
Buy a big orange whistle.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I have VZW and can get enough weak signal to address the stuff I need to when skiing while paying attention to work.    

If you are the kind of skier who needs cell coverage.  NEVER go to Snow Shoe, WV.     Fun place that is cold and gets decent snow.   However they have ZERO service anywhere, one resturant/bar has wifi.   US Govt has a space antenna about 7 miles away and won't allow towers.    Upside down hill with 'base' at the top.    Maybe 2000 condos ranging from $150,000-800,000.    Those folks are upset.