"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
CMR
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

CMR
In reply to this post by Harvey
With its double fall line and plenty of marginal skiers, I've always felt that Pine Knot is one of the hardest runs on the mountain when the conditions are sketchy.  ANY added snow will be a very welcome addition.  

That said, I'm really excited to see the "Gore Conditions" thread commence for the upcoming season!  Is Darkside's Arena pic current???
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
CMR wrote
With its double fall line and plenty of marginal skiers, I've always felt that Pine Knot is one of the hardest runs on the mountain when the conditions are sketchy.  ANY added snow will be a very welcome addition.  

That said, I'm really excited to see the "Gore Conditions" thread commence for the upcoming season!  Is Darkside's Arena pic current???

LOL yea a fan gun couldn't hurt Pine Knot although that gun is really to recover the summit of Bear early season or after it's been windblown.

Shaman pic came this afternoon via txt with the words "White is right" underneath. Got to assume it was taken on his daily walk with the doggies.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by CMR
the conditions are always sketchy on pineknot and there are always too many marginal skiers mixed with worldcup downhillers zipping thru the chaos.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by CMR
That pic was this afternoon. I joked to the electricians who were putting more "more eyes on the snowman" that I've seen it much worse on opening day. The white ribbon from the top of Bear looks very nice from town
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snow at Gore Mountain
Photo 11/13/12 courtesy Gore Mountain Staff Photog
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
It's nice to see some white on arena and wild air!  Here's hoping the temps drop so the guns can start blasting!  

The forecast doesn't look great for Thanksgiving, but I'm crossing fingers ... and toes.

Any predictions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
CMR wrote
Any predictions?
Gore will operate Gondola and Sunway lifts on opening day. Trails will be Ruby to Foxlair to Sunway to 3B, plus QuickSilver to 3B and Upper and Lower Jambo.

With a little luck, or with a slight improvement in the forecast, you could see Showcase to Sleighride to Stokes to Arena at somepoint during opening/Thanksgiving weekend too.

Groomer cutting 1st road through piles this morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Picked up our passes today. Here's a pic.

CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey,

Do you mean that both Foxlair AND Ruby will be skiable on opening day??  That would be great since it may mean that we won't have to navigate "Chocolate corner" this year!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
CMR wrote
Do you mean that both Foxlair AND Ruby will be skiable on opening day??  That would be great since it may mean that we won't have to navigate "Chocolate corner" this year!
I thought choco corner was on Quicksilver, but I think you're reference to the thin spot on Foxlair?

I kinda push MP on this early season stuff since curiosity is high.  I must say he's pretty willing to give his best guess to us. That info was his estimate as to what he'd get open if the weather stayed true to forecast. So, yea he's saying two options down to Sunway on opening day if the forecast (from 2 days ago) holds, and maybe another option if it's a little colder than predicted. (Personally I'd rather have Showcase all the way down as they second option, but he knows his mtn better than I do.)

A small amount of additional cold can make a big difference.  If it's 5 degrees colder than predicted at night, not only do you lose less snow during the day but you shut the guns off later and start them up again sooner.

Seems like round the clock blowing in November is a thing of the past.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
I agree regarding Showcase.  However, I guess having Showcase open early requires that LONG stretch of Ruby Run to be open as well.  Foxlair is probably easier and more economical to cover in the early season.  That said, I wonder if management has considered covering one side (or the middle) of Wild Air in lieu of Quicksilver?  You could then ski Foxlair to Wild Air to Arena.  Quicksilver has a couple of drops that act as bottlenecks even under good conditions.  WIld Air is much more of a straight shot down the hill.  BTW, I thought that "Chocolate Corner" referred to the thin path around the upper head wall on Foxlair.  It certainly was chocolatey by the end of last years opening weekend.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
ORDA press release this afternoon:
Gore Mountain, in North Creek, N.Y., is slated to open for the season, Friday.  Gore, home to 2,537 vertical feet and the most skiable acreage in New York State, will open with six trails (Ruby Run, Foxlair, Sunway, Quicksilver, 3B and Jamboree) and the gondola.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
gonna be there friday
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
freeheeln wrote
gonna be there friday
don't hesitate to post some pictures
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What I heard today:

Gore is shooting for Sunway, Jambo, Otterslide, 3B, Quicksilver, Showcase, 2B, Lower Sleighride, Stokes, w/ Ruby and Foxlair by next weekend.

Snowmakers are planning to head for higher ground late in the week.

Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
friday conditions were ok, kinda creamy to start .quicksilver got to be pushy piles and thin in the troughs.pretty busy for what was open had to pick a window and stay in it.good to be out with the gang.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Conditions were quite good today. Skied both Sat and Sunday, they are coming on strong. If the weather holds as predicted MP, KW and team will be able to lay down a lot of snow. Looking forward to another great season.
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
Skied Sunday. Modest crowds (*nice*), and great conditions in the AM. Got pretty gravely by sweep. Overall good start.
1234 ... 24