Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
freeheeln wrote
never caught up with you harv was hoping to do a few runs with you
freeheeln... when I saw you Sunday am (or was it Saturday?) I had the same thought.  It is amazing that with very limited terrain we never ran into each other.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by DackerDan
Beware of the "natural north" that's code for poor snow cover, rocks and Gore needs to increase trail count so it's open. Well disclaimed if one reads the signs, but not worth the cost of equipment and body damage that may result.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Mattchuck-

Uncas always looks awesome when you have a most excellent ski model to work with.  Some side-views and up slope shots in freeze-frame (so-70's) would display in even better imagery how less is more when you're in the driver's seat, like Ace is. Once tried to synch her turns, ended up over/under some random snow-making pipe, must have been the arrow, couldn't have been the Indian.  That was many moons ago Kemo-Sabe, so don't forget, "old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill".

Always great to ski you guys, all the best.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by adkskier
adkskier wrote
Beware of the "natural north" that's code for poor snow cover, rocks and Gore needs to increase trail count so it's open. Well disclaimed if one reads the signs, but not worth the cost of equipment and body damage that may result.
Yep, although the trails that open will be tame and not too rock covered. I stay out of these areas even with my early/late season skis, no real reaon to ride the slow north quad until the glades are nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Uncas was awesome today
Quoted to bring it to the next page.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
A couple inches of fresh snow on Christmas Day. Skiing was very good on the front. Only Cloud and Headwaters open up top so it wasn't worth bothering to go up top; fine for an intermediate skier or a visitor who just wants to take  the tour. Showcase and Sunway and Quicksilver were well covered and lots of fun. The crowd felt much lighter than the usual Christmas crowd. Very light until 10:30 when more people arrived, but still light. The snow let up and sun burst through around 10; delightful.
Uncas needs to be groomed and Fairview is garbage and will continue to be so until we get a big dump that doesn't get wind blown.
Snowmaking appeared to be in progress on Hawkeye and Wood In, but certainly not an aggressive effort and it did not appear that snow production was being run at max output; a risky decision in the event that the storm tracks south.
Parking continues to be a cluster*#*#. Most of the premium lot was open and free. Upon arrival I parked in the center and walked straight up. By the time I was ready to leave they have reconfigured the chains and ropes in such a manner tht there was no way to walk to my car without doing the limbo under a chain or rope. Others were amazed and commented "it's Gore" which just summed it up!
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Thanks for the report. When coming back to North Creek looking at the mountain as I approached Mill Creek in Weavertown in the setting sun it looked like the top was lite up with snow making. I think we are going to have a glorious week. It is too bad about Uncas, I guess it set up, they usually give it a few days to leech out before grooming it so that it does not ice up as much later. It will probably happen fairly soon but it's not on the list for tomorrow. Noticed that Hawkeye and Chat will open tomorrow according to the website, I would think it will take a while in the AM for patrol to clear and mark them.

Parking has been a bit chaotic this year, I think they are training a new crew.

See you all tomorrow and all week - after 4 days of a head cold I am stoked.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by 64ER
64ER wrote
Mattchuck-

Uncas always looks awesome when you have a most excellent ski model to work with.  Some side-views and up slope shots in freeze-frame (so-70's) would display in even better imagery how less is more when you're in the driver's seat, like Ace is.
I also took this pic on the same run. And you're exactly right.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Nice one.

Got a txt from Chris.  Chatiemac, Open Pit and Hawkeye are open.  Blowing on Lies.  Skiing is good, crowd light.

Also High Peaks chair tomorrow.

Guns on Lies, Steilhangs’, Sleeping Bear, Twister.

Mineshaft was opened?  How was it in there?
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
Gore was a lot of fun today, not a bad run. Even Fairview was OK - not great mind you but OK.
Uncas was bumped but still edgeable. Hawkeye was good but the snow was inconsistent. The pick of the day was Open Pit. They had made excellent snow on it. Tower pads were being moved around the mountain in anticipation of opening up Darkside Glades & Straightbrook glades if we get the snow tonight. Tomorrow could be epic. If we get the dumping I will try my new AT gear, 100mm rockered Surface powder skis with Dynafit boots and bindings. WIll be my first time on AT. SHould be a hoot. I'll have my Alpine rock skis as well just in case.

I always love this view of the High Peaks
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Today was our first day of the season...

I was riding my new weapon: Jones Flagship 168- sofa-King fun!  Let me tell you all, I love my fiancé.  Best Christmas present ever.

You couldn't have asked for a better day on the hill (excluding a powder day).  

Felt great to be back out there, I agree open pit was the pick of the day, but everything skied great!

Talked to patrol.  Burnt Ridge is out of the mix for tomorrow.  They were doing their best to clean up the Dark Side for the storm.  Tomorrow is going to be one to remember.  Jess and I still don't know if we'll be taking chairs to the top of a mountain or earning them.  Either way-it's gonna be tough to fall asleep tonight!

I can't believe I forgot how happy snowboarding makes me.  The simple things.  
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Chris wrote
Today was our first day of the season...

I was riding my new weapon: Jones Flagship 168- sofa-King fun!  Let me tell you all, I love my fiancé.  Best Christmas present ever.

You couldn't have asked for a better day on the hill (excluding a powder day).  

Felt great to be back out there, I agree open pit was the pick of the day, but everything skied great!

Talked to patrol.  Burnt Ridge is out of the mix for tomorrow.  They were doing their best to clean up the Dark Side for the storm.  Tomorrow is going to be one to remember.  Jess and I still don't know if we'll be taking chairs to the top of a mountain or earning them.  Either way-it's gonna be tough to fall asleep tonight!

I can't believe I forgot how happy snowboarding makes me.  The simple things.
Post of the storm. So far.  

I am very curious about the base in the woods. Anyone ski or ride Mineshaft today?  Seems like destiny to take my new skis out, but can't help be curious what anyone thinks a 12" will do.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Harvey44 wrote

Post of the storm. So far.  

I am very curious about the base in the woods. Anyone ski or ride Mineshaft today?  Seems like destiny to take my new skis out, but can't help be curious what anyone thinks a 12" will do.
I did not, I was skiing my Race Tigers today and did not want to risk the edges. Several folks I talked to today said that the base was good in there but firm. The pipe at the entrance is still quite exposed and is a bit of a hop over - from what I was told.

The North side (summit lift terrain) should be awesome, there is already a ton of snow in there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Harv, woods are good to go.  Nice firm base on top of everything.  I don't think you could ask for a better base
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv-

Mineshaft was available and taken today, short and sweet.  With regards to taking your new toys to where they may get dinged, better you than them.  If you have a quiver, always use the straightest arrow, why put the archer at risk of a miss, or worse, barking up the wrong tree?

The affect of 12"+ of new sow would make this Holiday Week the best in my cloudy memory, 18" would clear things up somewhat; 2'+  put us on track to have the whole shooting match (Double Barrel, Hudson Chair,Snoopy's) for a  New Year's De-lite!.

Rumor and Cleavage can wait till MLK weekend.  Heck, I didn't miss them last year, went to New Hampshire to sunbathe in March.

I'll look for you in tomorrow's whiteout.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Come on Harv - I thought this was a full service web site. How about an update for those of us in the flatlands
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
From Harvey44 on the mountain at Gore:

"Gore conditions: a foot at opening and snowing all day. Everything is open except Rumor, Burnt Ridge and not sure about Lies. Been in the trees all a.m. Mineshaft, Tahawas, Straightbrook, Chati, Dark Side, all that other stuff. New fat skis rock!"

Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
It dumped all day. Had to head out at 1 or so to get back to work. Trees were all good. (except some thick crust I hit in KHS and double-ejected. If you saw a huge bomb-hole skiers right lower-half, that was me). Awesome day!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Gore had a ton of snow today. It was not fluff, heavier than pow. My first Glade run was Tahawus, after the short climb I dropped in, when I hit the depression my tips went under the crust and I supermaned, I was a little worried about how easily the AT skis would release - not to worry. I was using all new AT gear and wide (100 under foot) powder skis. These skis were not rocker and did not have much side cut, a very different ski for me. After a few runs on the trails I went back in the woods, Chatterbox was good - my trust level was low so I made wide turns between the trees. I then went to Kilkare and Cave. I still don't feel like I have the skis dialed in completely. As the trails bumped up I found these new skis handled the bumps well. The boots are significantly softer than Alpine boots and that also threw me off some, I felt I had less control over the ski. I will ski this rig tomorrow as well, I want to dial this setup in before I take them to the back country. I stayed off the summit today but hope to get up there tomorrow as well as spend most of the day on the Dark Side.

Tomorrow should be very nice as the groomers were hitting the trails just as I left. I think everything will get mowed tonight. I hear extra staff is coming on board to man the Hudson chair and Burnt ridge may come on line soon.

This was what was needed.
1 ... 3456789 ... 24