classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
466 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 24
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

DackerDan
I ran into Kirby late morning as I was checking through Summit, they were having a good time. I think I had completed my tour of the Dark side with a swing down Lies and was headed long.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Skied all weekend at Gore. Best day was Monday - no crowds, awesome gun pow on Lies and Open Pit, day old Gun Pow bumps on Hawkeye. Guns were up on Rumor (but conditions still dicey) and Chati. Should be an awesome week of snowmaking. Looking for Rumor from the top this coming weekend, and good conditions on Chati, Lies, and Hawkeye.

Lower mountain skied fine, but was pretty crowded on Saturday and Sunday. Wouldn't be surprised to see that attendance records were broken. Tons of people hanging out Sunday Night for torchlight parade and general merriment. Outside the bar, lots of people set up food spreads, coolers, etc. A guy walks by and asks "is it like this every weekend?" No, but the combination of holiday weekend and fireworks brought everyone out of the woodwork. Skiers ran the gamut from people in one piece ski suits with skis and boots from the early 80s to people with very expensive looking outerwear on very new skis. Definitely a scene.

One more holiday weekend to get past, then sweet, sweet peace and bright sunshine in March.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N

The top, namely Open Pit was sweet on Monday, we had rare full family ski day as our kids were not in NYSEF / Mtn. Adventure.

I'm surprised that on such busy weekend we had neither Sagamore, nor Topridge open.

Just think of all that snow that was made to cover the dip at the bottom of Fairview, what a waste of resources that trail is.

Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
It was a really fun weekend, despite the crowds.  The gondola line looked enormous, so we braved the wind on the lifts instead. The lower mountain had better conditions than up top, but we found some good snow on Lower Darby both days, and Lies was good on Sunday.  Sunday night in the lodge was so much fun.  The Mountain Adventure kids came down the mountain in a synchronized pattern before the torchlight parade. They were practicing it all day. Unfortunately, there was a white-out just as they came down Arena, so they weren't very visible.  We had a table with crock pots all lined up, and everyone brought different drinks and food. It was a great ending to the weekend.  Too bad we had to leave Monday morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
poindexter wrote
 The Mountain Adventure kids came down the mountain in a synchronized pattern before the torchlight parade. They were practicing it all day. Unfortunately, there was a white-out just as they came down Arena
I saw it. I was just coming back from the store with some cases of beer. Pretty good synchronization!
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by poindexter
poindexter wrote
 We had a table with crock pots all lined up
Saw people doing this on Friday too, is this some sort of Gore tradition?  Cant say I've ever seen people do this before.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Monday was the High School race day, two runs down twister from meadow turn to the bottom. My daughter was in the race, at lunch we had three crocks going in the brown bag room for all the parents and kids on our team - a great time was had by all.

Unfortunately I was working the race so I stood out in the cold for most of the day - only took 4 runs but it was worth it - I love watching my daughter ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Wouldn't be surprised to see that attendance records were broken.
I was told that Saturday was Gore's highest revenue day ever. I don't know exactly what that means (does Centerplate count?), but it's still good news.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Spongeworthy wrote
I was told that Saturday was Gore's highest revenue day ever. I don't know exactly what that means (does Centerplate count?), but it's still good news.
Not saying your wrong but I thought the Friday and Sat after xmas there were more people - I heard there were some banger days there. I think this past weekend may have seemed busier due to the more limited terrain. In any event I hope the revenue turns into more snow making. I sure hope there is not a loud sucking sound coming from LP.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by poindexter
poindexter wrote
The Mountain Adventure kids came down the mountain in a synchronized pattern before the torchlight parade. They were practicing it all day. Unfortunately, there was a white-out just as they came down Arena, so they weren't very visible.
And my phone died (so no video) and my 2 year old lost her cool just as they were coming down.  My 4 year old was in that group and she had a blast.  We hiked up behind the lodge to watch the torchlight parade and the fireworks.  So cool.  Fireworks were pretty awesome.  Hats off to gore and centerplate for a great show.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
chances of Sagamore for this weekend?
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Not happening.  Let's hope for Saturday 2/2/13, unless Ma Nature shoots first.

All the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snowing lightly in North River with light accumulations.  There was some snow in Shaman's tracks from earlier today.

So cool when you have a buddy who will do you a solid solid.  Thanks DSS.

Time to see about a ski...
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Great gun pow all over the place.  Cold in the mornin up top.  

Saw MC rockin his NTNs from the sunway chair.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Chat was the pick of the day - lots of fun all day long. Rumor skied great from the top, very grippy snow. After I discovered these two I just took laps with the occasional lap on Hawkeye all day long until my legs had had enough. Never left the top until the end of the day.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
eastern skiing at its man-made best. at the end of the day, fairview and foxlair still skied great. how weird is that?
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Echo was great too - and completely empty. Uncas was also a lot of fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Did some laps on the front first thing and everything was very good.  Hit Echo for 3-4 runs around 10:30 and it was still mostly untouched cord.  Very nice.  Tried the darkside after lunch and it was a little sketchy.  Chatty was my pick of the day as well.  At some point in the day (not sure when) they opened chatty glades.  Did one run in there. It was decent but still not great cover.  Wonder why they decided to open it and none of the others?  Great day.  Can't wait to get Topridge and Sagamore back up and running.  Twister opened to the public late in the day.  Heard it was good too.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
chati had nice soft bumps was my pick of the day also, lies wasnt very good but the top of rumor was actually very nice.  showcase was nice and fast as well as hawkeye, never made it to echo.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote
 At some point in the day (not sure when) they opened chatty glades.  Did one run in there. It was decent but still not great cover.  Wonder why they decided to open it and none of the others?  
chatty glades although thin was the best we had so that ski school could run a clinic that was scheduled for this Sat. Pattol skied it so it was indeed checked out before it was opened. We really need a nice snow day to get the glades back.
1 ... 6789101112 ... 24