classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mountain WiFi

Milo Maltbie
This post was updated on .
I want to move my winter office to Gore, but I need a decent internet connection. The Verizon 3G coverage is pretty sketchy, but is there WiFi in any of the lodges?

MM
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mountain

tBatt
I'm pretty sure the main lodge has WiFi.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
yes, but not free.  can be purchased daily and I assume extended (weekly, monthly) also.
Heard it works at WF also
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Hoser wrote
yes, but not free.  can be purchased daily and I assume extended (weekly, monthly) also.

Harv- You're the man with the stats. How much does Gore actually make by charging for WiFi?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mountain Wifi

Harvey
Administrator
DARKSIDED wrote
Hoser wrote

Harv- You're the man with the stats. How much does Gore actually make by charging for WiFi?
I noticed that somebody mentioned this in the comments on Laszlo's Jay Peak 4/21 blog entry.

I wasn't aware they charged for it. I've been using it for free. I think.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Gore does not make any money, or it is very little, as the internet is provided by adirondack internet, which is a private company that operates small scale wifi hotspots. They have one throughout main st in north creek, as well as Gore, and in a few other towns in our area. If you operate out of the saddle instead of the base lodge you can use your verizon just fine and have much better views
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Darkside Shaman wrote
If you operate out of the saddle instead of the base lodge you can use your verizon just fine and have much better views
That's good to know.  If I have reliable cell service on the mountain and the occasional WiFi back up, that's all I need.  I'll have to find a safe place to stash my laptop at the saddle.

MM
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I just realized I wrote that I'm looking for place to stash on the mountain.  I haven't had a stash on the mountain for 20 years, and now I'm trying to stash a laptop.  When did my life start sucking?

MM
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
I guess that was my point. How much can they actually make on charging for Wifi? Compare that to the marketing value of "FREE WIFI"!

Thanks for the tip on the Saddle.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I wasn't aware they charged for it. I've been using it for free. I think.
While I've seen the Adk Internet icon on my phone, I actually think I was accessing Verizon.

In any case I should keep my trap shut. This morning I got an INVOICE from Gore for my wireless usage!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
BUSTED!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
DARKSIDED wrote
I guess that was my point. How much can they actually make on charging for Wifi? Compare that to the marketing value of "FREE WIFI"!
Yup, just what I was thinking when I found out I had to pay a private provider. Just think of the marketing bonus if Gore sucked up and provided that for free. Ever notice how many non skiing Mommies hang in the lodge while the little kids go out and play? But, alas, don't get me going again about the superior marketing department at Gore.

funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
The internet is provided by Adirondack Internet, a local small business that brings novel high speed internet service to the park.  For example, they use long distance wifi antennas to bring roadrunner speeds to my camp across Lake George.  Nice people who are very responsive to any issues.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Gore provides the broadband connection to Adirondack Internet and they get a small revenue share. Considering the, probably, trivial income they'd be a lot smarter offering us free wifi. Of course, this isn't the first time or last that Gore management misses a PR opportunity.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

WiFi at Gore

Milo Maltbie
Gore Mountain finally has free wifi this year.  There's at least 2 free networks, but it's pretty random whether they are actually operating on any given day.  At least last year you could count on the wifi if you paid for it.  What's wrong with them??
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WiFi at Gore

DackerDan
You will need a password to access the WiFi at Gore, at least you did in December. Go to the information desk and ask them and they should tell you what it is, they told me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Is it available on Thursdays?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Benny Profane wrote
Is it available on Thursdays?
Yes - but only at half the speed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Janitor tells me we got four bars of Verizon LTE in the base lodge.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Janitor tells me we got four bars of Verizon LTE in the base lodge.
Did Verizon get on the tower behind Gore Electric or the tower at the top (or a new tower somewhere else)?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.