Gore Ski Article

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Ski Article

telerider
Tremendous article on Gore.  Was this article not posted earlier in the week?  I didn't see it in the Woodstove.  The article is a little long and redundant (IMO) and the facts aren't all correct (AE1 was a triple, not a quad), but compelling nonetheless.  It validates why I ski here.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Ski Article

telerider
Not sure if link came out in my initial post? if not It was in The Examiner from January 5th.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gore-mountain-is-nys-s-world-class-ski-destination-amidst-adirondack-splendor
Reply | Threaded
|

mikeC
Very informative article.  I'm visiting Gore for the first time during February break.  Does anyone have any tips for newbies to Gore?  My kids are 8 and 9 yrs old and still have a bit of pizza wedge in them.  They're fine on greens and easy blues.  Any trails we should definitely hit or try to avoid?  Thanks in advance!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Meh. I find the "Examiner" articles to be pretty poor on the quality of writing side of things, but this article wasn't too horrible (besides mentioning that Gore was in its 81st season about 12 times and generally just being an advertisement, right down to posting the price of chili). There have been a lot better articles than this, though.

mikeC wrote
Does anyone have any tips for newbies to Gore?  My kids are 8 and 9 yrs old and still have a bit of pizza wedge in them.  They're fine on greens and easy blues.  Any trails we should definitely hit or try to avoid?  Thanks in advance!!
Lower mountain, Sunway/Showcase/Twister are good and definitely the North Side with Tahawus/Sleeping Bear/Pete Gay. You can probably take them up to Cloud/Headwaters if they want to see the top (but see how they do on Sleeping Bear first). If the Ski Bowl is open by then, take them down there. Kids love it, and it has it's own nice little lodge and short lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by mikeC
mikeC wrote
Very informative article.  I'm visiting Gore for the first time during February break.  Does anyone have any tips for newbies to Gore?  My kids are 8 and 9 yrs old and still have a bit of pizza wedge in them.  They're fine on greens and easy blues.  Any trails we should definitely hit or try to avoid?  Thanks in advance!!
Hi Mike C, welcome to the forum if you are new.

I took my three kids to Gore the first time last year, 9, 12 and 14 y.o.  Low intermediates, high beginners.

During busy days, Sunway can be crowded from the saddle down to Quicksilver entrance, and therefore dangerous -- we were out on an early Saturday in December and my middle one was taken out from behind in a putative "slow speed zone" on upper Sunway.  Just keep it in mind.

North Side is great.  My kids love Tahawus and Pete Gay.  Even on a crowded weekend, those slopes empty out around lunchtime.  Our first few times to Gore we basically skied the North Side the entire day.

You can take them up the Gondola and come down Ruby Run to the saddle; however, there is a traverse you have to skate that can be frustrating for little beginners.

Gotta run for my train, will try to answer more later.

Petronio

Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by mikeC
mikeC, a little more info:

--see the following thread, some helpful general info:  ORDA mountains with kids -- advice wanted

--Mattchuck is correct, see how they do on Sleeping Bear before taking the High Peaks double up to the top.  Sleeping Bear is probably the toughest on the North Side for beginners, it has a couple of steep pitches that make a younger, learning kid hesitate and put them in a negative frame of mind.

-- If you do go to the top, Cloud has a narrow, steep turn at the beginning that can pose a challenge, and then one other steeper part after it passes the entrance to Headwaters.  Or take Headwaters, a great long, wide blue without any real steep parts until you approach the Straightbrook quad.  Then Tannery is pretty tame all the way to the Topridge triple, which you can take back to Ruby Run and the saddle.

--I have yet to ski it, but I understand Pine Knot is a very challenging blue.  I haven't taken it with the kids yet because I want to ski it first before bringing them.  Anyway, they always want to start with the North Side, so we end up skating Wood In to the double chair.  

Petronio

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Pine knot, if they can't control their speed on a steep, could be dangerous for them as it has a off camber dog leg section. I've seen people end up in the trees. It also tends to get icy and on busy days, crowded.

Foxlair, descending from the Gondi can also be an issue for newbs. You'll cross over it on the Gondi ride up where you can scope out the harder section of Foxlair.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
I looked at the website and none of the glades are open yet :( .  

Besides proximity to where you are, what makes you prefer the New York big mountains to Vermont?  

I have always headed to Vermont, but mostly based on reputation. I have never gone to gore or whiteface, and would love to when we get some more snow!
Reply | Threaded
|

mikeC
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio - Thanks for all the info.  I can relate... my youngest got taken out from behind at Whiteface over Christmas break.  She was fine after a visit to the lodge and a cup of hot cocoa.  The Northside sounds like a great place to start.  The kids are super excited.  We're taking the snow train in from Saratoga.  It should be a memorable trip.  Fingers crossed for good conditions.  Thanks again!!