classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Snow Report

CUontheslopes131
Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time reader (tigerskier from SJ). I just had a quick question. Does anyone else find it incredibly annoying that Gore seems only to update its snow phone and web snow report the night before? Anytime you want to know how much snow the mountain has gotten that day, it seems you're out of luck. It's pretty frustrating. A timestamp on the web version of the report would be helpful, but either way, I do not recall this system being in place in previous years. I definitely  remember calling the snow phone on my way to the mountain for an update. Any idea what's going on?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Snow Report

Snowballs
Banned User
That's been a steady compliant. Don't know why they even do it that way. Others don't. It's lead to the "Emily's Crystal Ball" phrase as it's like she's predicting what the future snowfall will be.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by CUontheslopes131
CUontheslopes131 wrote
A timestamp on the web version of the report would be helpful...
I look down to the bottom of the report for the weather. If is has the weather for the previous night, that means it's the estimated report from the night before. If it has today's weather as the first part of the report, it is from the morning.  A time stamp would be cool. Could be automatic and not require any additional work.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
Harvey44 wrote
CUontheslopes131 wrote
A timestamp on the web version of the report would be helpful...
I look down to the bottom of the report for the weather. If is has the weather for the previous night, that means it's the estimated report from the night before. If it has today's weather as the first part of the report, it is from the morning.  A time stamp would be cool. Could be automatic and not require any additional work.
I do likewise, but it's really pretty annoying. I wonder why they can't be like every other mountain and just do a morning update. The prognostication the night before is nice, but if they're only going to do one report, I think most of us would prefer a morning update, especially when snow is in the forecast.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Has to be the worst snow report in the industry. A couple years ago we got there at 8:30 after a night there was questionable weather with freezing rain/sleet that was elevation dependant. At 8:30  the trail report for the previous day was still posted in main lodge.I asked customer service about todays and got nothing. Customer service couldn't give me any answers about conditions on the upper half. I asked if snowed or rained up top. I got the shrugged shoulders and no answers.  I've never been back since
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Has anyone spoken to Mike about it?  He has been very accessible this year.  Most ski areas lie about their conditions anyway.  As Far as Gore goes I have been checking ADK Keith's site off Wunderground.com long before it was added to Harvey Road.  That will give you a good enough Idea what to expect.  And to not ski a mountain anymore because they couldn't tell you what happened up top even though you knew it had rained/sleeted...Well there's one less person I won't have to avoid at Gore.  Get there before Emily does and you can be skiing Deer Valley Courdoroy almost every morning.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Yes we did know what took place precip wise at 1500 ft, but there can be a huge difference at 3500. Not being able to get that information at 8:30am at the hill is ridiculous. I'm not going to spend $ at a place with poor customer service. And all I'm concened with is some accurate conditions info

Made a phone call to Jay, had answers from the reservation guy who had a detailed report right there and high tailed it for 4 days.
Go to Jay customer service at 7:30 am and you can take a look at detailed conditions report that tells you what went on up top and down low. Their website is continually updated when warranted

I guess I should be thanking Gore

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
OK little thread drift here but those are some awesome videos.

Love the spot in the first video where the skier wipes out and basically disappears.

Here's my OT question... looks like in snow that deep, the boards you guys were on were just barely fat enough or maybe borderline.  How big are the boards being used on that day?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
The little guy was clearly on sticks too narrow. He was submarining all over the place. He had some big sidecut short heavy racing skis. He came from Wisc for a visit. I tried more than one time to toss those things in a dumpster. I was using boards 105 underfoot. Not in video. One other was using some Dynastar legends which I believe are about 90 under. The couple others would have been on some something about the same. Like between 85-90. I like to use my 95's or 105's underfoot in terrain and snow like that. I wouldn't want anything wider in the tight trees  I also like getting into the snow some instead of completely floating on top

But there was about 65" of some really light snow......not sure any ski would have stayed on top
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
So if say 100s or 105s are your choice for those conditions... you'd never have a bigger ski for EC use?

I'm asking because what  you posted looks like the outer limits of EC pow.

I'm about to make the plunge on Icelantic Pilgrims - 90mm - 12mm wider than anything I've ever skied.

I've never been in snow that deep, and for various reasons my odds of getting NoVT pow aren't that great for the next few years, so maybe the Pilgrims are a reasonable compromise.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
I  haven't felt I wanted anything more than my 105's. I'm actually going to a 90mm in a 186 for my adk touring

Story about the liitle guy that weekend
We setup him up on a buddy's touring gear and took a small jaunt. After making to top of where we were going to ski we had brief conversation about trying to stick together with the snow as deep as it was. Sure enough that didn't happen. Everyone made 3 turns and went for there own line. The little guy took a spill face first down hill with his skis still attached up hill behind him. He went into panic mode for a few secsond until he could get his face clear, but there was so much snow and it was so light he could not gain any leverage with his arms in front of him. Thankfully someone came behind him who saw him struggling and helped him out. The other and I were waiting for a while before he showed up, drenched from sweating bullets trying to get out. He stated he's not sure if he could have got out with out help
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
Thanks for the info skimore.  Sometimes I get analysis paralysis, and the context help.

Can also relate to the scary feeling of being in bottomless snow upside down.  Happened to me once skiing hut-to-hut in Colorado, and I was lucky to be with a guide who was watching and new exactly what to do.

sudsnbumps wrote
.. I have been checking ADK Keith's site off Wunderground.com long before it was added to Harvey Road.
suds... I think that the Igerna HermitCam was added to Harvey Road in the same year it went live on the web, back in 2009. The home page layout is seasonal, with things like ski reports and webcams coming down over the summer.

Adk Keith and I also talked back then, and again recently, about what would be involved to put a cam at HRHQ.  The elevation is higher, so we thought it might be valuable. He knows more about it and it's not as simple as I'd thought. Actually with Gore's base elevation dropping with the addition of the Ski Bowl, HermitCam just seems right.

BTW suggestions for homepage additions are always welcome.  Drop me a line at the addy below, or post em up.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I have to admit I like the way you moderate and changed the thread direction at that point.  I guess I have been following his weather station ever since I found it and bookmarked it.  I am a FNG here on Harvey road.  Going to head up to Gore this morning to carve up some cord with my 65 under foot GS skis...my powder boards are only 70 but they are my everyday tree bumps skis.  I have a feeling that when skimore went to Jay may have been the same time I got that shot of my avatar...4' at MRG...an Epic day for a less than epic season.  My point is that I follow my own weather and never believe ski reports anyway.  But I will mention it to Mike and/or Emily
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Suds...

FNG? That's a webism I don't know.

I do think if you have been follow weather for a SPECIFIC location, like I have (ie Gore) you start to learn how to interpret things.  Garnet Hill, gives a report when they are open, and I have, in seasons past, included it on the homepage for extra data.

FYI - your avatar had me thinking about a Best Avatar contest of some sort.  It's great. I just couldn't think of a single prize that would be valuable to all.

Hope you can post some kind of report tonight either as a stand alone TR or in the Gore Today thread.

Back on topic, let us know what you learn today.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
  My point is that I follow my own weather and never believe ski reports anyway.  But I will mention it to Mike and/or Emily
 mine is being at the hill and no one  can tell you if rained or snowed up top
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
FNG was the name given to the 'new guys' in Viet Nam. We all know what the 'F' is for.

Like Harv said, tracking the conditions and weather at Gore requires multiple sources. The one source that is missing is the place we pay to ski. The lack of a cam and weather station is absurd. In addition to Whiteface, ORDA has a cam on a building, in a building, on a rarely used ice rink, a rarely used jumping hill and rarely used field. The place with the most visits(Gore) does not have a cam. Amazing.

I just looked, there are no people pictured on any cams except WF.
ORDA CAMS
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
It could be worse...Belleayre... Gore is kind of in the middle of the State Areas...It's my home mountain and I will defend it to the end.  I did mention this to Emily today...didn't see Mike.  I do like Whiteface too
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Snowmaking icon next to trail name would be useful on the report.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
What a fantasitic idea. Muy Bueno! That would be so useful and cool. Maybe Harv can arrange it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Yes we did know what took place precip wise at 1500 ft, but there can be a huge difference at 3500. Not being able to get that information at 8:30am at the hill is ridiculous. I'm not going to spend $ at a place with poor customer service. And all I'm concened with is some accurate conditions info

Made a phone call to Jay, had answers from the reservation guy who had a detailed report right there and high tailed it for 4 days.
Go to Jay customer service at 7:30 am and you can take a look at detailed conditions report that tells you what went on up top and down low. Their website is continually updated when warranted

I guess I should be thanking Gore

I LOVE DAYS LIKE THAT AT JAY PEAK!! I've learned that it is not unusual to run into Skimore in the lift line up there when it is like that. I also seem to know when to run into Skimore at Snow Ridge.  Wonder where he's skiing this weekend. I'm sure it won't be Gore...no powder there.