1234 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Conditions (2010-2011)

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'll give you what little info I have from the Southern Adks.

The good news is that so far not much total precip (NCP) has fallen. It has been very light all night, so the impact on the manmade base should be minimal.  It was 27 degrees last night and it's just below freezing now (2000').  From looking at the radar it seems to me that the roads are probably ok in the capital district, as it's got to be above freezing by now - but that is just a guess.

Be aware that if you are getting an early start everything is coated with ice farther north.  We slipped walking on the grass.

I posted the NWS ALB forecast, including the short term on the weather page:

http://www.nyskiblog.com/p/ny-weather.html

While the BTV forecast is probably more relevant for Whiteface, the ALB forecast talks more about what you'd be driving through. You could check NWS directly - but for me the site was acting up (not loading) so I posted it when I finally got through.

If you get a late start today, that's probably a good thing.  We should be warming up, and then when the front pushes through, we might get some snow.  

Be careful today.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today (Friday Nov 26)

Hoser
Trip report from WF today (Friday 11/26):   Rain ended at 9am,  windy, some sun,  some very light flurries.
Gondola and Little WF Double running.  Overdressed first run but then temps dropped through the morning.

Concrete first 1/4 of Excelseior (sp),  then some death cookies but definately manageable.  Soft under the entire length of Facelift (soft, not slush) for both Upper and Lower Valley.  Mid-station down had small whalebacks, lots of fun,  lots of snow.

Coverage was excellent, except for skiers left of Upper Valley rocks starting to appear about noon.   No issues other than  that, no damage to skis, very impressed based on this past weeks weather.  Not Black Friday of 2008,  but much better than expected and will be back on Saturday.      No crowds!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hoser wrote
Trip report from WF today (Friday 11/26)....
Sounds great. (ummm snowmaking whales....).

I wonder if this morning's ice (or perception of it) kept the crowds down.

It actually looked like it was warmer at WF then at Gore in the early morning.

One thing is for sure... the ice was real down here.

The coating on top of Bear Mtn was more than a 1/4 inch thick.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Fresh 3 to 4 inches at WF today (Sat),  windy and snowy but fun especially when the wind died down and visibility increased.  Crowds still not happening, never waited more than 4 or 5 cabins max.    

Any reports from Gore today?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today (Sat Nov 27)

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hoser wrote
Fresh 3 to 4 inches at WF today (Sat),  windy and snowy but fun especially when the wind died down and visibility increased.  Crowds still not happening, never waited more than 4 or 5 cabins max.    

Any reports from Gore today?

+1

...for to snow and lack of crowds.

TR Posted:

http://www.nyskiblog.com/2010/11/gore-mountain-ny-112710.html

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Hoser
Gore skied real nice today, and I think (hope) Topridge will be open tomorrow.

As Jimmer used to say:

Get some.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
Gore skied real nice today, and I think (hope) Topridge will be open tomorrow.

As Jimmer used to say:

Get some.
If you can ski into the afternoon, you might get on some sweet whales - it's already 18 degrees up here.

Topridge isn't going to get groomed until after Weds.

It ain't the same without Jimmer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today

Raymo40
Gore was really nice today. Skied in the afternoon due to someone wanting to sleep in. Topridge was open with big snow whales and no grooming. Had a very good first day. We stopped at Oscars on the way home. Get the hickory smoked horseradish chedder. Smokey goodness.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 12/12/10

Harvey
Administrator
SMS mobile report from Gore:

"Snowed several inches, hawkeye open Sunday only, r**n at noon Sunday."

Gore
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah.  Hawkeye was pretty fun this morning.  3-4 inches of new, and huge whalebacks to play on.  Got 4 good runs on there.  

We left around 10:45 when the precipitation started to switch over.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Skied Gore today 12/15 and it was pretty good.  Fast and firm but carveable (is that a word)  Hawkeye was the best up top...Headwaters wasn't really worth the skate...Showcase to Lower Sleighride to the Arena was probably the best overall.  My first quote came from a screamer down that "I don't like this kind of skiing...hey I kinda liked that"  GS Skis  They had Inside Edge Demo Days and although there were no bumps I was surprised by two skis one I hated and one I loved (93 under foot, wow!) There was snow blowing on bottom of Arena and that was fun Pow (until they shut them down)  Which leads me to my last quote "We found something to have fun with today"
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Gore 12/15/10

SnowflakeADK
  ^+1.  Very pleasantly suprised.  Stayed on the lower mtn with the gal pals today.  Agree that Showcase/LSR/Arena skied nicely.  Had a blast carving turns down Sunway while my friend got her ski legs back.  Wind-scoured hardpack on upper Foxlair and the Saddle area....could have lived w/o that, but it is what it is.  Kudos to Gore for a nice recovery from the R*** event earlier this week.   Had a chance to demo alot of nice skis today courtesy of Inside Edge.  Does it make me "weird" that my picks of the day were the 94mm waisted Aura (Mantra for the guys) and 86mm Kenja (Kendo for the guys)???  I also found Atomics D2 VF 75 to be a very stable, smoooooooth ride.  It went fast, it went slow, nice edge hold, with a touch of forgiveness for the tired legs, form is getting sloppy, last run of the day.

All in all a fun ski day #7.....then again I don't think I've ever had a "not fun" ski day.  :o)   Looking fwd to day #8 at Kton on Friday.  

I love skiing at Gore.  Driving up that access road is like coming "home".  I love seeing the familiar faces, enjoying the lack of crowds and the general good vibes of the place.   Good people.  GOOD STUFF!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 12/15/10

ski2moro
I was at Gore today, too, and I'm getting spoiled by the lack of crowds. The snow was fast and fun.   Showcase was the best run of the day, IMHO.  

Day #6 here.
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Skied Gore today 12/19 2010. Lower mt. was hard but fast. Nice snow at the edges. Went up top to do Lies which looked great from chair.  Big snow whales all the way down. On day two of my ski season it kicked my @$$. What fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Lies got me good today with a sore shoulder...rest of the mountain was firm fast and fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Skied Sunday & Monday. Conditions were nice. I'll confirm hard and fast. Even with the light crowds on Sunday I thought it got icy after lunch, especially pine knot and quick silver. Monday was excellent through the last run.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

12/23

the mokes
Boiler plate everywhere...they're blowing like crazy but between the epic wind & the incredible wind it's impossible to keep any man made on the trails.  Our only salvation seems to be a big dump that's no where on the horizon.
The Mokes
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 12/23

Harvey
Administrator
Should have posted this earlier. This morning from Gore:

"Twister & Wild Air are very close; could be soft openings today but probably waiting one more day.

Winds hurting some."
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 12/24

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 12/24

MC2 5678F589
Pretty damn good today.

Lies good after the headwall, Lower Steilhang, Hullaballo, and Lower Darby were all fun (nice to break up the monotony of lower mountain groomers).  Showcase hardened up, but I saw Twister was open with guns on (didn't get a chance to hit it, though).
1234 ... 10