73 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Website Suggestion

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Back on topic, look for the new Gore website on Wednesday.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
Gore's FB page calling for it to go live on Thursday:

"Hey Friends- We are having a very techy week here at Gore- phones are out until tomorrow as we launch a new system, and look for a new website on Thursday. Thanks for the patience during both transitions while we are working hard to better take care of our skiers and riders! Think snow!"
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Its up and looks good.  They need to upload higher res pictures but overalll though it looks good.  
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
Pretty big disappointment. There's really nothing new here besides updated graphics. No webcam either.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
Maybe so, but there's still no reason to check back more than once a day. The best resort websites have cams or weather stations so that you have a reason to idly check out what's going on. Just my $.02, but I think that's a missed opportunity.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I am running 75download /39 upload right now and that map took a long time to load.

NO WEBCAM is beyond ridiculous. Wake up. What are you afraid of? Hook up a web cam.

It is so arrogant and obtuse by the decision maker.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
x10003q wrote
I am running 75download /39 upload right now and that map took a long time to load.
I spoke to the agency (very cool people) on Monday about the new map. It's huge (6Mb) and really tough to download.

We were able to do it at work with a T1 and a state of the art machine and it still took quite a while.

Anyway I've got most of it here:

Gore Trail Map

I think we will have a better solution to that issue soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey wrote
x10003q wrote
I spoke to the agency (very cool people) on Monday about the new map. It's huge (6Mb) and really tough to download.

We were able to do it at work with a T1 and a state of the art machine and it still took quite a while.

Anyway I've got most of it here:

Gore Trail Map

I think we will have a better solution to that issue soon.
The map is silly. I changed size to try and read it and it took forever to reload. All those trees around the outside of the map are useless, but the trees show up first.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
It is so arrogant and obtuse by the decision maker.
 One of the reasons I refuse to patronize the place anymore
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
Really?
 you refuse. b/c they don't have a webcam?
pfffffffffft.
The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
mikegbflo wrote
Really?
 you refuse. b/c they don't have a webcam?
pfffffffffft.
 read what was replied to
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
I think not having a webcam is a mistake. Nothing make you feel like you're there more than...well actually being able to see what's going on there. A cam at the top of the gondola looking out at the Straightbrook Area would be a slam dunk. I just don't get it. Harv - how about you hook up a cam at your cabin? haha
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
CUontheslopes131 wrote
Harv - how about you hook up a cam at your cabin? haha
I have looked at this.  The problem is that I need a dedicated computer ($$) and also not sure how well computers do when temps go below zero. We don't keep the place heated.

Right now the best thing we have is the Ignerna HermitCam (see the weather page) - it's at about 1000 feet. The cabin would be better as it's at about 2000, which is a decent elevation compromise - above the base of Gore, but not too much.

Right now I am saving my pennies for that responsive site. But no question a webcam at the cabin would drive a ton of traffic, and be very useful.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I like how there's a snowflake in the top right corner of the mobile site that takes you directly to the day's snow report. Other than that I don't really have a lot of things to say about it.

Interesting how they went to the European style of dating the Pictures (day/month/year instead of month/day/year)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It's actually one site (vs a separate mobile site) which is definitely the way to go. Easier to update, better for SEO.

I also like the fact that the trail report is on one page with Java dropdowns instead of a separate page for every pod.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
In reply to this post by CUontheslopes131
There really is no reason for Gore to make the site more useful for when your on the mountain.  I don't know any carrier that actually has service that works on the mountain (and I for one like it that way... less work email to worry about!).  If you want to know how conditions are changing throughout the day do it on the lift...  

Cams would be nice, but all they are going to show you is that there is snow where there is snow.  They are not going to put a cam halfway down lies to see if it has just the right amount of bump on it.  I would rather see then save the 10-20k it would cost to install one of these and spend that money elsewhere.  Every mountain that has cams puts a giant fan gun right next to it to ensure that that area always looks good.  Having a cam at Gore would just do the same.      
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Well, if there's an argument to be made against webcams, you just made it.

I don't find it too convincing, but others might (and is that 10k-20k number for real? Come on, if they had to, they could just go buy one for $30 and replace it if it breaks 500 times)

I see a lot of excited posts on Facebook, twitter, and ski forums that are just pictures of a web cam and a few words of stoke. Seems weird to not want that kind of publicity for your mountain, but what do I know about marketing?
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
mattchuck2 wrote

I don't find it too convincing, but others might (and is that 10k-20k number for real? Come on, if they had to, they could just go buy one for $30 and replace it if it breaks 500 times)
Biggest issue would be getting the cable in place to run the thing.  They could put one at the base rather easy.  However, stringing fiber everywhere to just run some web cams could get expensive quick.  There is no good line of sight at Gore so that would throw out microwave as a solution.  No matter what, you still need the hardware to run it, the server to serve it, etc.  10-20k for that is not out of the question in my book.  It is not as easy as just plopping a camera in a USB port and duct taping it to a lift tower.