classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore is blowing snow on Thursday?

Ethan Snow
Saratogahalfday wrote
  Making snow in March is like burning money.  It seems foolish to make a token amount of snow now that's either going to blow away, or melt within days.
That was before the days of climate change and when $50 for a full price ticket was considered a lot of money. Things have changed a bit since then. If a resort can't continue to make snow they won't be able to stay open. It's that simple.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
He won't do it, he hates anyone that does not tow the liberal line.
If that was true I wouldn't have a sig.

Then again, he probably really likes my sig.

I agree Brownski should have a sig. He adds a lot to the forum, writes for the front page often, and has many words of wisdom. Seems like a very level headed guy to me both on here and in person. Maybe he just doesn't want a sig.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The procedure for getting a signature hasn't changed. Email me and ask. Members in good standing will be granted.  Granted "good standing" is a bit arbitrary, but is roughly based on signal-to-noise ratio.

Brownski and I talk all the time, he's never mentioned it. Brownski, if you want one, send me an email.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Ha! Never really thought about it til Harv started using my quotes in his. I thought about making it "hit the green button again" but wasn't sure if enough people would know what that means or if it would just seem weird. You guys know what I mean by that?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
The green button can refer to any start relay on an electrical control box. But I think you're refering specifically to the ones on chair lifts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah, that's right. At least on the fixed grip lifts I ran during my one season as a liftie, you hit the green button once to start it and then two of three more times to get if up to full speed. Some times, lifties forget that last button-push so you're stuck going slower then necessary. I always ask them to hit the button again on my next lap. Some times it works; some times they just stare at me. I think I've decided that's a lame signature though; guess I'll think I over some more. No rush
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Saratogahalfday wrote
For Gore, yes.  I worked at Greek Peak and Jiminy Peak between 2004-2011, and after Presidents Week, the guns were gone.  Making snow in March is like burning money.  It seems foolish to make a token amount of snow now that's either going to blow away, or melt within days.
So many mountains were destined to lose profits from most of march if they didn't blow.  I went to Hunter and they definitely bought themselves another few weeks.  The trails that they didn't blow on were hurting.  I am not sure how much money they ever make in March but there are definitely tons of happy customers.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
On Sunday Gore was (still is?) blowing aggressively on Echo so to have good base for USSA Eastern Finals weekend after next.