Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak Conditions (2011-2012)

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Greek Peak Ski Area Set to Open this Weekend

With the arrival of a sustained cold front, Greek Peak Ski Area is set to start snowmaking Wednesday night with a tentative opening scheduled for Saturday, 12/4/10.  

Details are as follows:   December 4th   12:00 pm - 5:00 pm Lifts: 1A, 3 and the Magic Carpet Trails:  Elysian Fields, Stoic, Alpha and Magic Carpet   December 5th   8:00 am - 5:00 pm Lifts: 1A, 3 and the Magic Carpet Trails:  Elysian Fields, Stoic, Alpha and Magic Carpet Tubing:  10:00 am - 5:00 pm  

Check out our two webcams for all the snowmaking action.

Greek Peak Webcam

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak

Powderqueen
Woohoo!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak Today

Harvey
Administrator
Looks pretty darn good:

Late Afternoon: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -8. Northwest wind around 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -9. Northwest wind around 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Wednesday:
 Snow showers. High near 17. Wind chill values as low as -9. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow showers. Low around 12. Wind chill values as low as -3. West wind between 14 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Howdy, been lurking around here for a few weeks and decided to join when I saw "Greek Peak" today---Greek is my home hill. lots of things wrong with the place but I love it!!! It's in my backyard, and I've been skiing there for almost 40 yrs....yikes!!! I'll be making my first turns of the year Sunday so hopefully will have some pix to share.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Glad ur hear Camp.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
+1 = Agreed. Keep the GP stoke coming.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks for the welcome, HPD and Harv----I'll do my best to keep Greek alive. We'll have a full on crew Sunday so it should be a fun day. Get ready HPD, looking like Greek Peak will invade WF in Feb this year.....hide the children.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Ronnie's Run was spectacular tuesday!!!

Ronnies from Lars Larson on Vimeo.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That man ... he was skiing ... in between the trees...

I remember, back in the day ... we used to do that in the Adirondacks...

Looks good to me!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Hopefully you will be soon, Harv.....we've been blessed with some LE and skiing is great right now. Even with the "warm up" this weekend I don't think it will do too much damage.

I asked one of my friends to film me cause I hadn't seen myself ski in at least 20 years----prolly be another 20 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yikes...Greek took one on the chin over the weekend with tha thaw freeze, that's the bad news. Good news is that the guns are back on and they're calling for some LE later in the week. I'll be heading up tomorrow to check things out----gotta be better than over the weekend....can you say bullet proof.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
What a difference a couple of days makes!!! Between the snow guns and ma-natch Greek has bounced back nicely. Yesterday we had about 2 inches of fluff on top of firm, yet carvable groomed surface wich made for some fun skiing. With more snowon the way here in CNY Greek should be back "in play" for the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Back to the top

Greek skied great yesterday, firm/fast and very carvable. Early A.M. winds were just-a-honkin wich blew a lot of snow into Ronnies Run which made for fun laps thru the trees.

Calling for some NCP this week, then the LE to crank back up for Saturday into Sunday---weekend looks good for Greek
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Mid winter conditions @ Greek over the weekend...WOW, it was good.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
To the top

Greek continues to be firm and fast. Perfectly flat cord and cold snow made for some fun laps yesterday morning.

Cornell Womes Ski Team was in the house so chick rippers were everywhere
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
any snowmaking or new runs open?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No, same 3 runs.

Guns were out over the weekend but not on tuesday. Calling for rain tonight turning to snow sometime late in the day thursday. Cold temps moving in after that so would imagine guns will be fired back up thurs/friday thru the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
At times members of the A18 Gang will check to see why trails are "closed"...some may call it poaching

Pix via webcam

Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
A friend and I ventured over to the FLT off of Marathon this afternoon.  While it would have been nice to have some base coverage, it actually was not too bad!  We didn't get too awfully far, just to the other side of the pipeline, before we realized light was fading and we should probably head back to "civilization."  By the time we hit up Iliad one last time before calling it a day, it was starting to ice up and get really firm.  We're still getting lake effect, though, and the roads were starting to get pretty cruddy again on the way home.  Tomorrow should be another decent day of skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Even though it was quite frigid today, the skiing was very good. Everything was carveable and they left half of Fields and half of Iliad ungroomed, so there were nice bumps forming. A few icy spots, but mostly pretty good.

They opened Wendy's run with some fresh death cookies. It was carveable, but rattling.

Alcemene was also open.

They are working on getting Chair 5 open tomorrow.