Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak Press Conference 6/13/13

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
From The Ithaca Journal:

Big crowd at Hope Lake Lodge for Greek Peak's capital announcement.

$3M: As suspected it's a quad at 1A.

Fixed grip Doppelmayr; 2,400 pass per hour.

It'll be the main daily lift. Chairlift 1 will stay.

More details:

Greek Peak Press Conference
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak Press Conference 6/13/13

campgottagopee
Good news. Great news would've been increased snowmaking capabilities. Still a GIANT step from where we were---props to the new owners
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
"The new owners of Greek Peak Mountain Resort, John Meier and Marc Steinman earlier today announced some improvements to the ski area.

Among those improvements is a quad chair to replace chair 1A, which is a double chair. Chair 1 will be staying for now. The new quad chair will cost $2 Million dollars and will be ready for this upcoming ski season. The quad chair will be the only one of its kind in Central New York. Orion’s Pub will also be getting completely redone"

http://www.wxhc.com/local-news.php?id=4790

2 mil for the new lift--1 mil for ORIONS---waaaaaawhoooooo----it's on JACK!!
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
While 1A was slow...I'm not sure how much faster a fixed grip will be. The problem with GP has always been slow, slow lifts. Anyone one get the stats on the speed for the new quad?
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Obviously their are so many who do not appreciate Greek Peak. Why are there so many negative people? Don't hear people constantly crying about Plattekill's 2 fixed grip lifts. Life expectancy of a new fixed grip quad is 40+ years and a detachable is only 20 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Big D wrote
Obviously their are so many who do not appreciate Greek Peak. Why are there so many negative people? Don't hear people constantly crying about Plattekill's 2 fixed grip lifts. Life expectancy of a new fixed grip quad is 40+ years and a detachable is only 20 years.
Agree.  IMHO, a HS lift is kind of a waste on anything less than 1000'.  Also, don't forget that a fixed grip quad has almost the same capacity as a HSQ.  So, on a busy weekend, you'll actually spend more time waiting in line for a HSQ and of course, less time sitting on a lift.  IMO, the advantages of a HS lift don't really materialize unless its a quiet day.  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Marcski wrote
Big D wrote
Agree.  IMHO, a HS lift is kind of a waste on anything less than 1000'.  Also, don't forget that a fixed grip quad has almost the same capacity as a HSQ.  So, on a busy weekend, you'll actually spend more time waiting in line for a HSQ and of course, less time sitting on a lift.  IMO, the advantages of a HS lift don't really materialize unless its a quiet day.

Thank you!!! That's what I've been saying all along, we don't need high speed anything at GP, it's 900 vert. High speed would just be a waste of money.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
hell, I'm just as excited to have a new bar---high speed bartenders, now there's an idea
Reply | Threaded
|

Vinski
other comments from the press conference... in addition to remodeling Orion's and adding a deck,  food service will be improved all around.    Also, without going into specifics, they said snowmaking would be improved (could just be the results of the grants for the 5 snow wands).   1A demo is to begin next week,   new lift including new towers to be installed by late fall this year.
Tom Hatfield was introduced as CFO;  Wes Kryger as General Manager.
Overall, I believe the general impression by those attending the conference was very positive.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
 IMHO, a HS lift is kind of a waste on anything less than 1000'.  Also, don't forget that a fixed grip quad has almost the same capacity as a HSQ.  So, on a busy weekend, you'll actually spend more time waiting in line for a HSQ and of course, less time sitting on a lift.  IMO, the advantages of a HS lift don't really materialize unless its a quiet day.
You are correct about capacities. The 2400/hour is a crowd eater. At about 3000' in length it should be a quick ride. It looks like the vertical of the #1 chair at Greek is around 720 feet.

The important things to remember are the distance and the type of users. Anything much more than 4000' in length is much better as a HS lift. The huge advantage for HS chairs(besides the no line advantage during off peak periods) is loading and unloading. Factor in green and blue skiers and the fixed grip lift will stop much more vs a HS lift, unless it runs real slow. An example of a real slow FGQ  is the North Quad at Gore. An example of a very fast FGQ is the Straight Brook Quad at Gore.

This is great news for Greek.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
think HS to replace #2 some day  toes get cold on that ride some days. fixed grip for 1A is fine
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
think HS to replace #2 some day  toes get cold on that ride some days. fixed grip for 1A is fine

could you imagine lappin ronnies all day w/ a new lift there ---- WOWZERS!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Chatiemac
Is the Straight Brook Quad a Dopplemayr?
Ski the East
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
gorgonzola wrote

heck yea it'd be great for us early birds but would track out fast.

hey you ever ski'd under 2? my buddy was telling me awhile back that he did and how great it was. i can visualize a few decent drops/sections after crossing the access road but overall seems like it would be a slog down through the stream bed so i wasn't sharing his enthusiasm. maybe my memories bad or i was just being a dick... ive seen tracks through there but it never looked worth persuing
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
campgottagopee wrote
gorgonzola wrote

heck yea it'd be great for us early birds but would track out fast.

hey you ever ski'd under 2? my buddy was telling me awhile back that he did and how great it was. i can visualize a few decent drops/sections after crossing the access road but overall seems like it would be a slog down through the stream bed so i wasn't sharing his enthusiasm. maybe my memories bad or i was just being a dick... ive seen tracks through there but it never looked worth persuing
Your assesment is correct. After the last access road it's nothing great, no real pitch to keep you moving. The last shot that runs along side christy's is cool tho-----you can em hootin from the nastar course
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
"At a press conference today in the Hope Lake Lodge, the new owners of the resort announced that Greek Peak is getting a fixed-grip quad lift with conveyor loading to replace its frontside lift 1A."

What does this "with conveyor loading" mean exactly????
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Skiing under chair 2 used to be great!  There was a double fall-line, but I'm afraid those days of skiing under the chair are over. When they reduced the length of the chair, and re-configured the towers, they built those massive piles of dirt for the towers. This pretty much killed the notion of skiing under the chair top-to-bottom.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
"Conveyor loading" is sort of like having a short magic carpet that drags the skier up to the chair for loading. Usually a gate opens, and skiers slide onto the carpet, which is timed to pull them to the chair to load. It's a pretty slick process, but will require some getting used to.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
Skiing under chair 2 used to be great!  There was a double fall-line, but I'm afraid those days of skiing under the chair are over. When they reduced the length of the chair, and re-configured the towers, they built those massive piles of dirt for the towers. This pretty much killed the notion of skiing under the chair top-to-bottom.

Exactly....I never ski there anymore, never ever
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It's a shame, because chair 2 used to be one of the most diverse areas on the mountain.  It offered something for everyone--beginners, glades on Ronnies, and the experts on Atlas.