classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How cold is too cold?

Z
First thing this morning it was -6 at base of WF -18 at summit but you would have to be not all there to go up there.  Gun pow on Mt run was really sweet.  

About noon it dropped 10 degrees in like 5 mins.  At that point it was around -18 at the base and I was teaching a 3 hour private on the Bunny Hutch at kids Kampus.  I don't think I have ever been that cold before skiing.  It reached the too cold stage big time.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
it was-25 by afternoon, I went out to do a little roaming in the woods but I lost my choppers a while back and my hands got so freakin cold I'm my gloves that I turned tail for home and the wood stove. The wife and her cat were curled up in a big chair just shaking their head when I rolled back in and peeled layers.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
-32 here in the southwest corner of the park right now.  Oh, no wind.  Who "wins" the low? WF NWS site only reporting -26 at summit, seems "warm"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Who wins, indeed. It is pretty all over the east. Coldest place in the screen grab below looks like somewhere near Sudbury, Ontario, at -30. Temps are in F to save you southern folk the need to convert:

And if you haven't discovered Windyty yet, check it out here. Very cool site for weather geeks.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Recall Saranac hitting -52 last winter, perhaps the winter before. Don't recall. In any event, I also believe they set a record with this. So...still a ways to go from the ADK temps right now to come even close to the record. Not saying I want the record broken, as the current temps in the AKDs are low enough right now to give many folks grief they don't need, i.e., frozen and broken pipes, cracked engine blocks.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Thanks SBR, cool site!  Was at Mt Blanc (sp) in Canada about ten years ago, the temp was -40.  I asked if that was F or C. The answer was it doesn't matter.  That is true in both ways, as its the equal point on the conversion scale.
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
-20 at 7am at my place In North Creek. Has warmed up to balmy -15 at 9:30.  Trying to motivate...
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I fully intend to head over to WF if the gondola come off wind hold.  Somehow knowing that temps will be rising during the day, as opposed to dropping like yesterday, it seems......not as bad?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
JTG4eva! wrote
I fully intend to head over to WF if the gondola come off wind hold.  Somehow knowing that temps will be rising during the day, as opposed to dropping like yesterday, it seems......not as bad?
Was -34 in Eagle Bay when I woke up this morning but its already up to a balmy -11 at 10am
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
So this was a first - got so cold the kitchen sink pipes froze even though we left the cabinet open last night. Had the hair dryer on it for close to 3 hours now - still no luck. I think the lack of snow pack against the house was enough to let the cold air in. Wife is still sitting by the fire with her cat.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
hope the pipes don't leak
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Good luck getting the pipes unthawed. Doesn't surprise me someone would post a response such as yours. Hope all works out with no headache.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Smoke Signals in Placid is closed until further notice, on account of the massive flooding that occurred last night when -30 degree froze pipes to the hot water heaters.

Tough to see them lose the holiday weekend revenue.  We ate there last night and it was very good.  Wanted to grab a drink this afternoon.  Currently at Top of the Park.  Nice place.

While the gondola did open, Valentine's Day activity trumped a couple hours of laps on the gondola.....
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
JTG4eva! wrote

While the gondola did open, Valentine's Day activity trumped a couple hours of laps on the gondola.....
that only takes 20 mins , half hour at the most...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JasonWx
No leaks - they opened up after about an hour from that post.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
A few years back, i put half inch stryofoam between the pipes and the back of the cabinet. Also some extra fiberglass aling the sill plate by the kitchen.  

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Open cabinets and leaving the faucets on a trickle to keep the water moving....
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
When we renovated our kitchen we insulated that wall better but I still opened the cabinets and trickled the water last night and today.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I spoke too soon the dish washer line froze
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LOL my buddy was txting me from his place in VT late last night:

"Minus 16 and pipes frozen!"

I was like... "hahahahah minus 20 here and water's flowin."  Never did the drip, froze up about 10 mins after I was yukking it up.

Was able to drain some of the system this am, and did the antifreeze thing in the traps but the shower trap was already jammed.  Tough when the pipes is froze and you already had your coffee!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp