How cold is too cold?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How cold is too cold?

Peter Minde
Came to Lake Placid over our daughter's school break.  Wicked cold at Mt van Ho yesterday and today.  Don't get me started about the thin cover.  But I didn't come up here to not ski.  +5 F is reasonably comfortable for xc skiing.  -11 F, not so much.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Note to self...new construction specs spray foam insulation. Nuff said.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Jon951 wrote
Note to self...new construction specs spray foam insulation. Nuff said.
The secret is to put the plumbing stack up through the center of the house. It puts everything in weird places but it keeps every thing from freezing.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Speaking of frozen pipes...

I was out in that crazy wind we had here yesterday.  I had to stop, well, because a certain part of my body was cold and going numb.  It wasn't my toes or my nose.

I think my long undies are a little loose and drafty.  Next time I'm doubling up downstairs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Our place is super basic, but our pipes are mounted on the walls (vs inside) and pitched to drain.  Works for us.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Harvey wrote
Our place is super basic, but our pipes are mounted on the walls (vs inside) and pitched to drain.  Works for us.
Yup-er...good move..pitched to drain for easy drain/close-up of cabin when you don't anticipate inhabiting the place and temps are anticipated to be low, e.g. during the winter months. Pipe burst not possible when they're full of air, not water. Smart.

"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
Speaking of frozen pipes...

I was out in that crazy wind we had here yesterday.  I had to stop, well, because a certain part of my body was cold and going numb.  It wasn't my toes or my nose.

I think my long undies are a little loose and drafty.  Next time I'm doubling up downstairs.
Maybe try some of that spray foam
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
This post was updated on .
A wad of Owens Pink Fiberglass or rock wool in your drawers should do the trick to keep your "piece" warm next time. Just make sure you don't grab or scratch your crotch, especially if you play winter baseball !

https://fleshymeninpolyester.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/crotch/

Excerpt from article:

"Many believe the crotch-grabbing ban was brought on by the excessive attention former Sox outfielder Momo Pepe paid to the front of his pants last season. During one game in late June, a catchable ball dropped in front of the outfielder because he was obviously toying with his pants. Video later showed that Pepe did, in fact, get his right pinkie lodged in his zipper and couldn’t get it out in time to make the catch."

UFB

"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Yep - that works if you are draining your pipes on a cold night, but when you live there and pipes are on an outside wall it does not work. I have good insulation around the pipes but the kitchen sink is by a window (wife's orders). Usually we have a lot of snow up against that side of the house by this time of year and that also helps keep the cold air out. But Saturday night was one cold windy SOB, I don't know what it got to here but I am sure it was well below -20. I should have let it drip all night but I never had a problem before so I didn't even think to. Oh well - no harm was done, was not a hard enough freeze to do damage. I keep the water pressure low in the system anyway.  
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We don't drain the pipes when we are there.  The design allows us to turn the heat down (to 55) when gone and put a hair dryer right on any issues we have. Plus draining the system takes about 3 mins.  Still I believe that with the heat turned up it helps when temps hit 20 below.

For me when Iook at the pipes I see beauty and functionality, I don't mind looking at them at all.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
-19 last night, after -32 Sat night.   One frozen washer drain line, one frozen dishwasher drain line, and one frozen plastic bottle of cooking vegetable oil in a lower cabinet.  Did not realize that oil had such as high freezing point!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I did 8 hours today in -20 wind chill and I'm doing 8 hours tomorrow as well.

Glade did not hack my account, but I hope he's reading this.
You're about as "core" as a bag of rainbow mini marshmallows.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Skiing is a cold weather sport.  Cover up, layer up!    Amazing snow on our beloved this weekend!  

Last trip up to summit on Saturday was -27F but no wind so it was manageable and the snow on skyward was off the charts!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
ScottyJack wrote
Skiing is a cold weather sport.  Cover up, layer up!    Amazing snow on our beloved this weekend!  

Last trip up to summit on Saturday was -27F but no wind so it was manageable and the snow on skyward was off the charts!
For once I agree with ScottyJack.  Skiing is a cold weather sport so layer up and toughen up, or take up bowling.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
hahahahahhahahahah  Bowling for Dollars!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
In reply to this post by snoloco
Did mommy buy you some hot cocoa or did Daddy give you the money so you could buy it yourself?
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
Bowling???? I was at least 8 bowls into it yesterday.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
hahahahha!   special green wax conditions prevail!  Hey Loco, Kmart sucks!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by lolkl
I typically use my own money for hot chocolate, which I only had once on each of the days.  Daddy did buy me my lunch and lift tickets.
I've lived in New York my entire life.