How hard is it to mount bindings myself?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How hard is it to mount bindings myself?

Brownski
Never done it. What tools and/or materials do I need? Where should I get them? I need the full tutelage here.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How hard is it to mount bindings myself?

Sick Bird Rider
Theoretically, it is not hard, assuming that you are handy with tools and careful. Get a measuring tape, drill and a posidrive screwdriver and have at it. On the other hand, it is probably one of those jobs that should be left to trained techs at your local ski shop. Unless you can borrow a mounting jig specific to the binding, you are in for a world of potential mistakes. And these being ski bindings that are supposed to release and save your ass from breakage, mistakes are not a good idea.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
I feel like this has been the definitive thread for 8 years now. Lots of questions answered:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/232898-PSA-Mount-your-own-fucking-skis
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Back before I bought my first pair of good skis, I watched a local friend mount bindings on skis for one of his kids.  He'd been doing it for years since he has three kids.  Not particularly difficult.  But I wouldn't consider doing it myself except on skis that I didn't care about if something didn't come out right.  Don't have the patience to measure 3 times, drill once. :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
I have those concerns as well. I’m only considering it because I grabbed an old pair of long skis at a garage sale. I’m not sure if I’m willing to buy new bindings for it, will probably move some from an old pair of skis and I’m thinking that might be too sketchy for the shops in the area. I’m gonna read through the tgr thread now. Thanks for pointing it out MC
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Besides the obvious need to measure carefully, what I remember is that he taped up the drill bit to help make sure the hole didn't go too deep.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
marznc wrote
Besides the obvious need to measure carefully, what I remember is that he taped up the drill bit to help make sure the hole didn't go too deep.
Good advice. The tgr thread MC linked seems to be a gold mine of good tips; the tape on the drill bit is one of them. If course I still have about a hundred more pages to get through the whole thing.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I mount all my own system and race bindings which have pre drilled holes.  Particularly with a racer who has 6 or 7 pairs of skis it’s a good skill to have.  I’ve also worked in shops demo days etc and have the knowledge plus the tech manual so I feel comfortable doing it

The one thing I would not even consider doing is drilling without a jig for that particular binding.  Strongly advise against it as it would way easy to screw it up particularly if you don’t have a ton of experience working with bindings

Don’t be too cheap with your legs safety
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
My first pair of skis I mounted my own bindings. It's not hard to mess up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Listen, the skis were twenty bucks at a garage sale but they seem to have some spring in them. The guy claimed he couldn’t handle them and moved the bindings to another pair after 3 or 4 days. If I can find a shop that will do it I don’t mind making them into $120 skis in order to make sure it’s right but that’s about as far as I’ll go. So I’m thinking I’m on my own. I’ll pull out the potential donor bindings some time this week but those skis are at least ten years old too so I doubt I’m getting my hands on a jig. This is most likely a low tech garage sort of thing. The more I think about it the more I don’t want to even buy any new tools. So I’m looking for ad how solutions. I’m not gonna do it “the right way”.
Edit: I seem to have lost my caliper so I may end up buying one new tool. There are some good suggestions on how to find centerline in the tgr thread but I feel like I want to be able check my work
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
For reference
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I have mounted several pairs of tele bindings, which I would argue are a little more forgiving than alpine bindings. Release is not an issue and you just have to get them in the right position. Then hope they don't explode out of the ski. Finding center is the fun part:

Here is a good post on the topic, if you haven't found it already:

http://earnyourturns.com/22947/diy-mounting-ski-bindings/
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
My 2 Cent.

Use the holes that are currently on it for the by eye center point.  You wont be far off if at all and do both skis the same.

put the skis in your vice, tape the drill bit.  Put the binding on top where you want them.  Clamp them down.  Use a punch to make the starter holes and have at it.  Put some cement in the wholes to hold the screws in.  If they rip out on your first run you know you did it wrong.  You have every tool you need.  Pictures of the process please
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Now we’re talking. Thanks guys. I saw a reference to using steel wool when re-using old holes but I haven’t tracked down the step by step so I guess that’s my next research goal.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
How old are Those?  They look like 1st gen shaped skis

Not sure they are worth the effort

Ok here is an incomplete list of what you can screw up and what could happen if you do

You drill the pattern wrong so binding won’t attach or screws pull outer boot won’t allow for proper forward pressure
You drill and mount lateral not in center - really ski weird and screws could pull out
You don’t mount on centerline - skis will ski weird
You don’t mount both both off same center - will ski really weird
Don’t drill perpendicular to base - screws either won’t go in or will pull out while you are skiing
Knowing how deep to drill - each flat mounted ski requires one of many different drill bits based on the design of the ski as to the material and the layer in the ski where the screws are Intended to be anchored.  Either could punch the PTex or screws will pull out.  The bit is listed in the tech manual from K2 which you don’t have.
Some skis if they have metal top skeets also require tapping.

Btw the worst thing that can happen is the screws pull out while you are skiing and your mount semi attached.  That will seriously mess you up.  If you don’t hurt yourself and get the free sled ride you get to walk down from the top of the Gondi.

I don’t see how this ski is worth the risk but hey maybe you have really great health insurance.  Make a chair out of them
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I like skinny skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Btw the worst thing that can happen is the screws pull out while you are skiing
This happened to me on a ski mounted by Inside Edge.  I had maybe three days on them.  Since I didn't really know how to ski on one ski and had never practiced it (seems like the racers do this) I just decide to try to fall down as safely as I could.  I don't believe anyone was hurt by my ski.

I was at Gore and had to walk down about 1000 feet of vert.  tBatt found them in the netting for the park and turned them in to lost and found, who the violated their written policy of holding lost items for a week.  They tossed it "because it was broken."  Inside Edge would not honor any kind of replacement because I couldn't produce the broken ski.

As you can tell I never got over it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I found KY to be a much better option.  

Its 2019.  If you are reusing the old holes get some that double tube epoxy.  I once put back together the magnesium casing of the timing chain on a one lunged Alouette snowmobile.  It lasted the life time of the sled.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
Now we’re talking. Thanks guys. I saw a reference to using steel wool when re-using old holes but I haven’t tracked down the step by step so I guess that’s my next research goal.
I believe that refers to making fine particles of steel wool by rubbing between your fingers, then mixing with epoxy glue. I have this the re-use holes on some Swiss-cheesed skis (eg. the Sick Birds). Theoretically all the fine metal particles give the screw something extra to grab on to.

I agree with the epoxy comment above, Plumber's Epoxy is the bomb. Don't use G-Flex for this application.

Having said all that, Z makes some very good points.