How hard is it to mount bindings myself?

27 messages Options
Brownski Brownski
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

How hard is it to mount bindings myself?

Never done it. What tools and/or materials do I need? Where should I get them? I need the full tutelage here.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

Re: How hard is it to mount bindings myself?

Theoretically, it is not hard, assuming that you are handy with tools and careful. Get a measuring tape, drill and a posidrive screwdriver and have at it. On the other hand, it is probably one of those jobs that should be left to trained techs at your local ski shop. Unless you can borrow a mounting jig specific to the binding, you are in for a world of potential mistakes. And these being ski bindings that are supposed to release and save your ass from breakage, mistakes are not a good idea.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
I feel like this has been the definitive thread for 8 years now. Lots of questions answered:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/232898-PSA-Mount-your-own-fucking-skis
marznc marznc
Reply |

Back before I bought my first pair of good skis, I watched a local friend mount bindings on skis for one of his kids.  He'd been doing it for years since he has three kids.  Not particularly difficult.  But I wouldn't consider doing it myself except on skis that I didn't care about if something didn't come out right.  Don't have the patience to measure 3 times, drill once. :-)
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

I have those concerns as well. I’m only considering it because I grabbed an old pair of long skis at a garage sale. I’m not sure if I’m willing to buy new bindings for it, will probably move some from an old pair of skis and I’m thinking that might be too sketchy for the shops in the area. I’m gonna read through the tgr thread now. Thanks for pointing it out MC
marznc marznc
Reply |

Besides the obvious need to measure carefully, what I remember is that he taped up the drill bit to help make sure the hole didn't go too deep.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

marznc wrote
Besides the obvious need to measure carefully, what I remember is that he taped up the drill bit to help make sure the hole didn't go too deep.
Good advice. The tgr thread MC linked seems to be a gold mine of good tips; the tape on the drill bit is one of them. If course I still have about a hundred more pages to get through the whole thing.
Z Z
Reply |

I mount all my own system and race bindings which have pre drilled holes.  Particularly with a racer who has 6 or 7 pairs of skis it’s a good skill to have.  I’ve also worked in shops demo days etc and have the knowledge plus the tech manual so I feel comfortable doing it

The one thing I would not even consider doing is drilling without a jig for that particular binding.  Strongly advise against it as it would way easy to screw it up particularly if you don’t have a ton of experience working with bindings

Don’t be too cheap with your legs safety
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

My first pair of skis I mounted my own bindings. It's not hard to mess up.