How many pairs of skis are in your workshops?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How many pairs of skis are in your workshops?

Z
Post how many pairs you got hanging around your place???

11 pairs in the Coach Z workshop with 3 pairs inbound for our household of two instructors and a NYSEF kid
Wife declares that its time to sell some - check out GearX

Instructors tend to have lots of skis which means each gets lightly used so they are good deals - Matt and I both have sticks for sale.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How many pairs of skis are in your workshops?

MC2 5678F589
I had 8 pairs. Sold 2 already. As Coach said, 5 more are for sale here.

I'm hoping to trim it down to 4 pairs: Hard Snow Alpine, Soft Snow Alpine, Hard Snow Tele/Touring, Soft Snow Tele/Touring.

(and at this point, I'm looking around 84mm-94mm waists for my "hard snow" setups - I'm through messing around with skis that aren't fun and playful. No more wicked sharp slalom carvers for me)

I really need ski season to get here so I can start making more money again and I can afford these things that I want.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/two-pairs-of-skis-for-sale-excellent-condition-td4020843.html

I just saw that Link in Matt's post and I figured out how to do it - but I don't know how to do it as slick as he did

Anyway - the link is for the Elan SLX and Fischer Cold Heat for sale.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Not sure how many pairs I have because every time I buy a new pair, they are fatter, and I just ski those.  MAYBE I'll ski two pairs this year.

The slick link thing:

Highlight the word you want to make a link, then hit the LINK BUTTON:

and enter your link.  The highlighted words will become the link.

Is that what you mean by slick link thing?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
clear out the quivers and buy some of mine! Actually, I have a really good deal you might be interested in.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
I have 6 pairs:
1pr. - Volant Super 1 - 198cm (1998 model).
3 pairs - Volant Power Karves all 193cm (1997 & 1999 models).
1pr. - Dynastar Intuitiv 74 - 188cm (2002/03 model).
1pr.- K2 Axis XP- 174cm (2003 model).

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Z
My skis are too scattered to get a picture of all of them. I have two in the "go" position, five mounted but limited to back up duty only, one unmounted that I need to sell (Fischer Watea 94 in 178cm if any one is interested), two pair broken being saved for a chair, and three pair going to a ski swap in a week. The broken and swappable ones are up in storage.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
yes and that is slick
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Big D
D

Cool Volant collection!  It reminded me that I have a couple pairs of old Volants Chubbs in the corner covered in cob webs too.  Too bad they went out of business about 5 or 6 years ago.  They made some cool stuff and really were a very innovative company.  They had some of the first fat skis in the Chuub, some of the first side cut skis when the took a Chuub and cut down the waist, and first rocker skis when Shane McConkey had a Chubb bent into reverse camber called a Spatula I think.  I have not thought about them in a long time and too bad they don't exist anymore.

If your newest ski is 9 years old it may be time to update.  The new stuff is so cool to ski on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
"If your newest ski is 9 years old it may be time to update.  The new stuff is so cool to ski on."

Every year I go to Elk Mountain down in northern PA for the Demo day.
Some of the skis I really liked: Volkl RTM 84, Volkl Kendo, Line Prophet 100 and the newer 98, Kastle MX88, Dynastar Sultan 85 and the 94, slightly older - the K2 Xplorer, Elan 888, Fischer Watea 84.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I have the Elan 888 (used to be called the Apex).  Its a fun ski but I mostly ski it on soft snow days or in the Spring. I also have demoed the Line 98.  Both are great skis but I wouldn't want either to be my everyday ski for Whiteface.  If I'm going to have just one ski it would be something around a 82-85mm sidecut.  I really like the Elan Amphibio 82 XTI.  That is my #1 ski.  (Disclosure:  I am the Elan Pro Rep for Whiteface).  I have also heard great things about Blizzard's ski in that width underfoot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Big D
OK, you said "workshop" so I am not including the garage. Or the other closet.

These are the skis most used at SBRHQ:

From right to left:

- Blue Toes' ancient Volkl Syntros (late 90s maybe?). I keep threatening to buy her new skis but she claims these are "perfectly fine." Note classic Kerma "corrective angle" poles.
- Rossignol Sick Bird, 2005 original version. My go to BC and resort tele ski. Unstoppable.
- (hiding behind the BD skins) Trak Couloir. Ultimate tele schwacking ski with metal edges and fishscale base (same ski as Karhu Catamount for you XCD geeks).
- (in bag) 2012 Line Sir Francis Bacon with alpine bindings. Good choice for EC quiver of one for those inclined to seek soft snow.
- hard to see them but '04-ish Fischer Big Stix 75. Currently mounted with tele bindings. Nice cruisey ski, hardly used anymore.

Out in the garage and other places: snowboard, more XC skis, more ancient tele skis, really ancient alpine skis from my youth, classic wood XC skis, old time wood skis, snowshoes, assorted poles, etc., etc. I did a blog post on my historical ski quiver a few years ago, check it out:
http://jonnyjay.blogspot.ca/2010/11/sbrs-historical-jay-peak-ski-quiver.html

I do regret selling selling my Prophet 100s. Thinking about the new Prophet 85 for groomer slayage. Not sure why but I really like Line skis.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Ten pairs in my wax room.  Not all of them mine.  The wife complains if her boards aren't fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Peter Minde wrote
Ten pairs in my wax room.  Not all of them mine.  The wife complains if her boards aren't fast.
Welcome back PM, to the world of the electrified.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

K man

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Mine and Hickory Martha's quiver.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Nice

Very organized and every ski has straps on them.  Did you build that ski rack yourself?

How many people are these skis for?  I need to show my wife that we are not that out of the norm on ski count per household member.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Yes, I build the rack myself, but have had to modify it as skis got fatter over the years.  I also have a rack just outside the door on our porch.  Those skis belong to my wife and I.  Each of us has a few rock skis in the blend for less than stellar conditions early season at MRG and Hickory.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
There are a few unmounted, retired skis still in the corner.
The White and Red pairs just right of center are pretty much retired
Everything else is fair game!

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Looks like you were a race kid before you became a park guy.  Its interesting to see peoples ski histories from the old skis.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Got it backwards.
I was a Park kid
then a racer
now play in the park every once in a while, mostly in the trees/bumps.