How much ground clearance do you really need?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
188 messages Options
1 ... 678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How much ground clearance do you really need?

JasonWx
good looking and performing car, but i have heard nightmare stories about the cost of   maintenance and repairs..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
JasonWx wrote
good looking and performing car, but i have heard nightmare stories about the cost of   maintenance and repairs..
Thanks - I'm hoping for the best too..
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
dmc_hunter wrote
   Love VWs...
VeeDubs are a lifestyle
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
   Love VWs...
VeeDubs are a lifestyle
That’s true. It’s funny how certain brands are like that. Subarus too. I’ve bought GMs mostly but I’m not religiously dedicated to them. My wife’s last 2 we’re both Hondas.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
   Love VWs...
VeeDubs are a lifestyle
That’s true. It’s funny how certain brands are like that. Subarus too. I’ve bought GMs mostly but I’m not religiously dedicated to them. My wife’s last 2 we’re both Hondas.
IMO Subie is next level with their following. Service work is another issue with them. It's amazing to me people will spend $1000's in repair on a car that they just can not let go. Granted I'm numb when it comes to cars but I've never been emotionally attached to any of my rides. The one and only car I regret getting rid of is my TR7, wish I still had that one.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
yep don't get attached to inanimate objects..

TR7 the wedge..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
  The one and only car I regret getting rid of is my TR7, wish I still had that one.
I regret getting rid of my 83 VW Scirroco...

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I sold my TR7 to buy a TR8. After I sold my 7 the dude with the 8 got sellers remorse and backed out of our deal. Ended up getting a Corvette instead. Cool car and all but I really wanted that damn TR8. It was green with tan interior and tan top. What a car those things are with that small V8.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Thats effectively in the past. They really took a beating due to quality control issues from the late 90's to mid 2000's (which were pretty terrible). Their general reliability across models has been pretty middle of the road for about a decade now.

Having been owned 3 VW's in that time period (an MK5 Golf GTI, a TDI JSW, and a MK7 Golf) Ive just had general mantience (and I put on over 25k miles per year).

The new 6y/72k Bumper to Bumper warranty is pretty fantastic for anyone who doesn't rack up the miles

I'm not much of a brand loyal person, but the fit and finish has been excellent on the Golf family and it's variants which keep bring me back after each test drive round.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
the most depressing week of my life was turning 30 and trading my '86 GTI in for a mini van the same week...
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
gorgonzola wrote
the most depressing week of my life was turning 30 and trading my '86 GTI in for a mini van the same week...
I have an unhealthy fondness for station wagons.  Never minivans.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Peter Minde wrote
gorgonzola wrote
I have an unhealthy fondness for station wagons.  Never minivans.
All thing aside I wouldn't go back and change a thing - made for some fun trips with 3 kids, mother/mother in law, kids friends, bikes, skis, hockey equipment etc. Those leather captains chairs made the  ease of momma snobunski moving from the cockpit to the cabin to comfort, clean puke and referee priceless!
The ole Vilagger (re-badged Nissan) was actually pretty badass as far as mini vans go lol!

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I’m gonna use the mini van love as an excuse to throw these up. I inherited/purchased this ‘85 GMC Safari from my mom while I was in college. Two summers in Alaska and a winter in Tahoe. I never full-timed in it for more then a month or two straight but still feel like I was into the vanlife before it was cool. Most guys associate minivans with the sellout portion of their lives but to me they mean freedom.

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
OK I stand corrected.  I will admit, one of my friends swears by mini vans.  And they're definitely practical, which is something I like about wagons.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Cool pics Broski
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
Cool pics Broski
Thanks
I’ll take any excuse.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Cool pics Broski
Thanks
I’ll take any excuse.
duct taped window for extra gnar points?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
gorgonzola wrote
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Cool pics Broski
Thanks
I’ll take any excuse.
duct taped window for extra gnar points?
The funny thing is the window stayed that way for a very long time. That van took a serious beating.
My college friends called it the battle van but my Alaska friends didn’t like that so they started calling it the wildebeest
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
The GMC safari van was most definitely a more typical transitional vehicle in a man’s life for me, but I still loved it.

When my daughter was born we had a civic coupe and a two door Dodge Dakota. So when she was 6 months old we got rid of the truck and got an awd safari (with 115,000 miles on it). I was desperately trying to cling to my river rat lifestyle at this point and the van was great. We pulled the middle row seat out permanently, and I would remove the back seat as needed for van camping.  Got 3 or 4 good years out of it.
1 ... 678910