How much ground clearance do you really need?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
188 messages Options
1 ... 78910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How much ground clearance do you really need?

Brownski
I got another one when we had kids and put about 230k on it before I traded it for my first truck. We had a Honda minivan for a while but it wasn’t nearly as bomber. I still occasionally browse autotrader for safari/Astro’s with low mileage. There are some around but memories of what I did with that first one make me fearful of turning junior loose in one.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Awesome Van Brownski

My buddy who lives in Boreum Hill bought a 2000 Mercury Villager to go surfing in the Rockaways.  He can fit several 9 foot surf boards in there.  It's amazing.  It also came with the original owner's cassette tape collection from the 80s and 90s.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
TheGreatAbyss wrote
Awesome Van Brownski

My buddy who lives in Boreum Hill bought a 2000 Mercury Villager to go surfing in the Rockaways.  He can fit several 9 foot surf boards in there.  It's amazing.  It also came with the original owner's cassette tape collection from the 80s and 90s.
If it doesn't have an 8-track, its still relatively new.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
TheGreatAbyss wrote
Awesome Van Brownski

I still have my old Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From the Road 8-Track....
I switches tracks RIGHT in the middle of the Freebird jam..  haha..  whenever i listen to Freebird(not that often) I always expect it...
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Looks like VW is killing the Alltrack:  https://jalopnik.com/killed-by-crossovers-the-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-an-1836447514

I guess the only people who bought them were a handful of Brooklynites and Gore mountain skiers:  
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
That's too bad. I test drove an Alltrack, liked it, although it was more expensive than alternatives when equipped like I wanted. Lowest roof line on the market, which makes it easier to get into the roof box and put a bike up there. Nice little turbo engine. They say in that article that they hardly sold, but maybe because they were so hard to find? My local dealer only had one every six months or so, and, poof, it was gone.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Brownski
Very cool Brownski, I too associate the Astro van with freedom. As soon as I get a minute I’ll post up some pics of my old rig.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
That's too bad. I test drove an Alltrack, liked it, although it was more expensive than alternatives when equipped like I wanted.
Don't let the MSRP scare you if you are still interested.  I got mine for a $7K discount.  That being said I imagine the resale value on a discontinued wagon will be brutal.  I'm fine with it cause I love the car, but buyer beware at this point.
1 ... 78910