How much ground clearance do you really need?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
188 messages Options
12345 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How much ground clearance do you really need?

campgottagopee
PeeTex wrote
I forgot to mention, lately I was thinking about a Land Rover, but within the past few weeks I have been considering the Jaguar F pace, when your looking at the last car you are likely to buy - you can consider pulling out all the stops.
Why not the X5 M ? You better hold on to your buttocks regarding depreciation  when it comes to the Rover/Jag

If it were me I'd look at the  QX80 but I like full-size
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
PeeTex wrote
I forgot to mention, lately I was thinking about a Land Rover, but within the past few weeks I have been considering the Jaguar F pace, when your looking at the last car you are likely to buy - you can consider pulling out all the stops.
Why not the X5 M ? You better hold on to your buttocks regarding depreciation  when it comes to the Rover/Jag

I drove an X5 for two years. It’s not really the way I roll normally (won a sales contest) but I can tell you for sure you will enjoy driving it. Absolutely solid in the snow, fast as hell of course and nothing broke or malfunctioned in the 30k I had it for. I’m an American mini-van/pickup guy so getting used to the German-performance-driving-feel of a BMW took a little while but after the break-in period I loved it
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Brownski wrote
I’m an American mini-van/pickup guy so getting used to the German-performance-driving-feel of a BMW took a little while but after the break-in period I loved it
LOL on the break in period. Sounds like it was you getting broke in.  :)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Very cool, Broski

Yea I don't roll that way either but I'd suffer thru it

And the M pkg gives you something like 540 HP
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I have a Volvo V60 T5 AWD and am in the ADK every weekend.  I've never had a problem with ground clearance.  With the snow tires, you can climb anything with ease.  It's got 30 mpg and lots of space.  The Volvo roof rack is Thule white-labelled gear and actually cheaper than buying full-on Thule.

17 gallon gas tank, too.  That is handy.

The heated windshield is good - turn the car/windshield on and after a few minutes any ice comes off like a knife through warm butter.  I was expecting a bit more when driving through ice storms.....you don't have to stop as often to clear off the wipers, but you do have to do it from time to time.

I saw enough accidents first hand to not want to f-around.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Brownski wrote
I’m an American mini-van/pickup guy so getting used to the German-performance-driving-feel of a BMW took a little while but after the break-in period I loved it
LOL on the break in period. Sounds like it was you getting broke in.  :)
Yes 100%
The steering on that thing was so precise and tight compared to the GMC Safari I was driving at the time, my brain was what required adjustment/break in, not the vehicle.
Camp
I had the "little" engine and it was hard not to go 90+ every time I got on a highway. I'm afraid I'd get myself in too much trouble with the big engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
The OP addresses my big complaint about modern SUVs, which is roof height. My first Outback in 93 was a station wagon with clearance, which was fine. "Normal" height roofline. Now there's a race to bloat these things up and up, for no other good reason than to make the car seem bigger on the outside and get to some magical number for interior volume that makes the sales people happy. I could fairly easily get into my Thule box on top of my '01 Forester, and also get into most parking garages, which is important, but, I need a small stepladder (I'm 6 ft.) with the same combo on my '10 Forester, and the latest Foresters have an even higher roofline, about 3-4 inches higher. The Outback is the same these days.

I'm looking at the Volkwagen AWD wagon, which is, ahem, a car with clearance. There is the Audi AllRoad, but, I'm not that well off. Love to own that little AWD S Audi wagon, must be a scream to drive, but, again, daddy didn't leave me much. Any other cars with AWD and clearance out there?

As far as clearence, of course you need some for skiing. Not all the time, but, when you do, you will thank yourself for buying that car. As mentioned, crappy dirt roads in mud season are much easier, and safer. Arriving at an unplowed road at night with your house at the end is another time you need it. Hell, one time I decided to drive to Killington during an Xmas eve storm, and I guess the plow drivers were all off and back home with families, because the Northway had close to a foot of snow on it as I plowed through. Thank you, clearence.

Don't get me going about everyone driving around in thos stupid pickup trucks. Always have to laugh when you see them off to the sides of roads in bad storms. Those and Jeeps. Dumb.

funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote

Don't get me going about everyone driving around in thos stupid pickup trucks.  

Whatev --- let me see you toss a dead deer in your, ahem, car with clearance ----- or firewood ---- or pellets ---- or dirt ---- or sand ---- or hay ---- or ladders ---- or staging ----- or blocks ---- or bricks --- or lumber
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Different AWD Systems are not alike

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Awesome video. One of my supplier reps used to be a Audi salesman and he admitted the Subaru AWD was the best in the business. He said Audi (of course) and BMW were close behind. My last GMC Safari was the AWD and I can tell you that thing was a beast. My mechanic once told me it was really a full-time 4wd with GM's normal traction control and operated 60/40 rear/front power distribution until it lost traction. Not sure that's accurate but I never got it stuck
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Those and Jeeps. Dumb.

I’ll give you a chance to qualify that I s’pose, because as a general statement is kind of....dumb!

Agreed, there is an element of lameness to people buying a full size pickup or Wrangler if there is no need or intention to actually use the capabilities those vehicles provide....but for those who do there is nothing dumb about it!

Love my Wrangler in 4wd in the snow/sand/mud.....but it kinda sucks on wet roads in 2wd!!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
JTG4eva! wrote
Benny Profane wrote
and Jeeps. Dumb.
Love my Wrangler in 4wd in the snow/sand/mud.....but it kinda sucks on wet roads in 2wd!!
I guess Benny doesn't like fun.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Or maybe he was referring to people who buy a truck and don't use it as a truck.  I bet camp's bed has some dings in it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Probably, Harvey.....but that isn’t what he said , hence my allowing him to amend or qualify his statement!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Recalling a trip to the garden center some years ago.  I put 15 40-pound bags of topsoil and mulch into the back of the Subaru Legacy wagon I had then.  Next to me was a Ford F350 dualie rear axle, with one of those funny covers over the bed.  Guy and his girlfriend get into it having bought a pot of snapdragons.

I can't justify owning a truck.  I'm on my 3d Subie, an Outback.  Four snow tires and a healthy dose of prudence.  It's bombproof, but not idiotproof.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Agreed....while I’ve rented a few full size pickups for use in snow on ski trips, and they were REALLY nice and handled well in the snow.....I generally have more need for passengers and luggage than hauling materials, so a truck would be hard to justify.  But they sure are nice, and a king cab in a super duty can comfortably seat 5, and with a bed cover there would be plenty of protected cargo space...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Jeeps are SO cool

Huge fan of the Rubicon --- excited to see the new truck

At the end of the day people should drive whatever they want too. Vehicles are expensive, you only go around once, so why not enjoy the hell out of what you drive. I love chicks that drive trucks --- my girls sports a Chev 1500 LTZ
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
This post was updated on .
We had audi sedans and wagons for the 25 years we owned at Gore and we never felt the need for ground clearance. Since the A4 based all road wagon was too small for my family, we migrated to a VW Touareg. Now that we mostly ski in VT, we are happier that we have some ground clearance. The snow is deeper and at times, not plowed. I would also rather be driving a truck based suspension on the many dirt roads we now drive on in VT. Your ground clearance needs can only be answered by you.

Some cars/suvs that have AWD that have not been mentioned:
Buick Regal sedan and TourX wagon. These are somewhat full sized at about 193 inches long.
Ford Fusion awd
Kia Sportage
Mitsubishi Outlander
Hyundai Tuscon and Santa Fe
Dodge Challenger/Charger
Chrysler 300 awd
Chevy Trax/Buick Encore

Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
RAV4 with right tires goes anywhere up down and around the Dacks in all conditions.  Many times ahead of the plows especially on weekend mornings.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
PeeTex wrote

I drove an X5 for two years. It’s not really the way I roll normally (won a sales contest) but I can tell you for sure you will enjoy driving it. Absolutely solid in the snow, fast as hell of course and nothing broke or malfunctioned in the 30k I had it for. I’m an American mini-van/pickup guy so getting used to the German-performance-driving-feel of a BMW took a little while but after the break-in period I loved it
I have never driven a Beamer, I’ll take a look. I like the Jag because you can get a diesel. Not worried about depreciation because at my age this is likely the last car I will buy for myself. I will need to go down to the big city and start looking. I’ve been a Subi guy for 20 years, great cars - you can’t kill them, I have 3 on the road, one approaching 200k miles, still has the original clutch. However I have always liked Jags, Rovers and Diesels. Never been a truck guy, have a nice 4x8 utility trailer for those times I need a truck but have been limited in tow weight since I got rid of my Exploder.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
12345 ... 10