How much ground clearance do you really need?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
188 messages Options
12345678 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How much ground clearance do you really need?

raisingarizona
Ethan Snow wrote
billyymc wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
If you want a small SUV that's fine, just plan on trading it on after you put a few miles on it.
Ha..no. Not to open a can of worms but the people I know who have to replace trannys early aren't people driving CRVs, RAV4s, and Subarus. Just sayin. Your observations may be different. Everyone I've known the the past 10 years who has had early tranny failure has been driving an "American" made car.
 I guess it depends on how you define "premature." I do agree the CRVs and RAV4s seem to have a good track record, but even simple front end parts are astronomically more expensive than those on American made vehicles.  I'm just personally not a fan of crossovers. For me, it's either a small car, or a truck. There is no need for the in-between.
I'm sort of thinking along these lines as well. I'd like to have something like a Lagacy for around town, to the mountain or for long road trips but have an old Ford pick up truck 1968 to 1974-ish for rallying Forest Service roads and trail head access.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
raisingarizona wrote
I'm sort of thinking along these lines as well. I'd like to have something like a Lagacy for around town, to the mountain or for long road trips but have an old Ford pick up truck 1968 to 1974-ish for rallying Forest Service roads and trail head access.
Spot on. I don't like Subies either (never have) but I kind of like the Legacy.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I like Mazda’s believe it or not. They’re awesome for ripping around town in. Their really fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Agree replacement parts on ravs can be expensive but they rarely need replacement. No tranny issues although a caliper for example is costly.  Put almost nothing in my rav until 150k then wheel bearings calipers oil pan went.  New rule trade before 150k.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Hoser wrote
Agree replacement parts on ravs can be expensive but they rarely need replacement. No tranny issues although a caliper for example is costly.  Put almost nothing in my rav until 150k then wheel bearings calipers oil pan went.  New rule trade before 150k.
Oil Pan? did you lose all your old at once out was it a slow leak? Damn NY salt!
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Spot on. I don't like Subies either (never have) but I kind of like the Legacy.
I own 2 legacy's..Clearance is a issue, but they are a comfy car.. I would love to get a pick up, wife said she wouldn't be caught dead in one
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
JasonWx wrote
I would love to get a pick up, wife said she wouldn't be caught dead in one
Same as Mrs. Cooper!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
My wife drove a Taco when we were first married. We bought it new and it was her daily driver for 3 years.

Back seat seemed a bit sketch for a baby seat so we went to a Honda when our daughter came along. But hey.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Harvey wrote
My wife drove a Taco.....
Mexican make/model?  Those may get harder to come by, walls and all!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
How about the Mercedes G550? That looks very interesting, you could go anywhere in that.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
PeeTex wrote
How about the Mercedes G550? That looks very interesting, you could go anywhere in that.
PeeTex, if you're buying, I'm driving.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
That is an amazing offroad vehicle. Great for driving across the Sahara Desert. Here in the US it is a "Luxury" SUV.
But definitely not worth the $100k price tag. It would be nice to get an old military version but I don't think it would pass the safety requirements.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
trackbiker wrote
PeeTex wrote
That is an amazing offroad vehicle. Great for driving across the Sahara Desert. Here in the US it is a "Luxury" SUV.
But definitely not worth the $100k price tag. It would be nice to get an old military version but I don't think it would pass the safety requirements.
Maybe 15 years ago I saw a G-wagen pulling a rowboat on a trailer.  Not fancy wheels, rather plain all around. Clearly a gray market vehicle, the only one that I've seen.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
OP Here,

Appreciate all the responses

After reading through all the comments it sounds like the consensus is that a regular height vehicle is fine 99 out of 100 times, but every now and then you find yourself in a situation where ground clearance matters.  

I was actually in Killy this past weekend and stayed in rental that was up a long steep dirt road, with deep tire ruts, and sheer drops on either side.  I can't imagine it's the first road to get plowed during a storm, and I wouldn't want to try it in a regular car with a foot of snow.  The place I usually stay at in Gore often requires going over 2 foot + ice berms made by the plow.   I'll probably get either the Forrester, Rav4, or possibly the Volvo XC 40 if I can swing it. I hate having to scale these monsters to get my skis in and out of a roof box, but it's a lot safer then driving around with them in the car.  I worry if I were to get rear ended they would impale someone Game of Thrones Style

IceCoastChef - Appreciate the pics, your WRX is sick, I wish they still made the hatch.  

PeeTex - Ford Exploder - Made me laugh.   My last car was Ford Escape that blew a Gasket at 85K miles.  Granted it was a 12 year old car but I'll never buy another Ford again.  The 4WD was excellent though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
TheGreatAbyss wrote
I'll probably get either the Forrester, Rav4, or possibly the Volvo XC 40 if I can swing it.
Consider the CRV? I'd say drive the 1.5 liter. If MPG matters, I am stunned by the mileage I'm getting. Lifetime (12,000 miles) it's over 31. If you are alone in it it moves too. I am getting that mileage average 78 mph on the highway, and driving around town. Probably 75% highway.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
You could say I'm a top 3 fan.
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/5a5e2d0d31358e4955aacc90/2-toyota-tundra/
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

greif
Someone (earlier) said he drove a Subie and has rented full size pickups and really liked the way the pickups drove in the snow (seemingly like the truck was better in the snow than the Subie).
My question: why is the truck better in the snow?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I ended up ordering an Outback for my next Car
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by greif
It's not whoever said it was don't know what they're talking about
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Z
Enjoy ! We love our 2018 OB Ltd , great ride just pulled 34 mpg on a 400 mile trip . Our second one , great travel vehicle .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
12345678 ... 10