289 messages Options
1 ... 12131415
frk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Conditions

frk
Earlier this year at gore, the skier ahead of me at straightbrook chair got on holding an open beer. He crashed getting onto it causing chair to stop. Ski patroller right behind me in line. Thought there might be dwi moment or at least a teachable moment. Neither happened. Last weekend on gondola about 9 am and a 20ish guy pulls a beer out and finishes it before ride is over.he had another beer in other pocket. I really wanted to say something but didn't. It wasn't st paddy's day. Anyone who is drinking alcohol in the early morning has a problem. His future is going to be trouble.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
That I didn't know..
so sad
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JasonWx wrote
That I didn't know..
so sad
I still think it might make sense to re-rate those trails. This skier died on Twilight, which I haven't skied. I skied Overlook the next trail over and I thought it was a black.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Agreed.  I think most of those trails are steeper than a few of the single blacks on the front face....ie. Cliffs and Hellgate.  I believe they already changed one or two of the new trails to a blue/black rating, but IMHO, they should be full blacks, compared to the rest of the mountain. The trails are also north facing and mostly in the shade. (Perhaps less so as we get into late March and April).

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Always sad to read of a skier death.  Even more so when it has nothing to do with the typical ski things we can bemoan about.....helmets, drinking/smoking, skiers in over their heads.....and is as simple as a good skier catching an edge and falling the the wrong way....or someone in control falling, seemingly innocuously enough, on a beginner trail and hitting their head....only to be dead a few hours later from a bruised heart or brain.

Just a good reminder to keep your wits about you at all times.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

SayvilleSteve
Hunter West and Hunter North have been closed all week pending evaluation by ski patrol.

Overlook is the steepest and most challenging of the new trails, followed by Twilight (which 2 skiers perished on), followed by Rip's Return (which accounted for the 3rd fatality). Each have a pretty steep head wall and a pretty long run out. Blue/black (as Twilight and Overlook are rated) and blue for Rip's are very fair ratings. I think it's more likely an unfortunate coincidence than anything wrong with the trails, per se.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
These trails are not bad at all...  People need to calm the fukc down..   I'm out on these at least 3 days a week...
Nothing but fun..  I took some videos today.

Twilight video- great intermediate pitch..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5tu6mJFOmc

Overlook video - nice intermediate trail...
http://youtu.be/dnRDwaNjQfE

Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
. k27racers edge. Hunter was empty this afternoon. East face bumps were great. They are leaving a bunch of snow on the mountain after closing Sunday
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hunter is looking pretty good still if you ask me
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1 ... 12131415