55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damage Report, Scotty?

Harvey
Administrator
fujative wrote
We rafted the Gorge on Monday. Bossman and river manager flew up the gorge in the plane first to scout it. It was HUGE. So much fun. We flipped on the last rapid, though. I ended up swimming about 1/4 mile.

Hey Harv.. my account works!
Sounds like TR time to me.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Jake is still unpacking his stuff into his apartment. GoPro footage isn't online yet. the battery died before Harris Rift, may or may not have gotten the HUGE hole in kettle mountain. Definitely didn't get us flipping in bus stop. That would've been a  good one to see

I'll try to get something going once he gets the GoPro footage going.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
At this point, we're OD'ing on flood videos, but this one of Windham is noteworthy:

Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Thanks...that footage is incredible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Agreed, an amazing video.

Hi-res images from a flight over Vermont:

http://mansfieldheliflight.com/flood/
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In 12 days, Ma Nature delivered earthquakes, a hurricane and a tornado to the area.

Pray tell what shall this winter bring ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Some good news:  Phil Brown is reporting on his Adirondack Outtakes blog that the DEC will be reopening many High Peaks trails tomorrow.  There are still significant closures however, so hikers returning to the High Peaks this weekend will need to pay close attention to specific openings and closures.
DEC decides which trails will reopen 

Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Not sure if anyone else saw this, but ...

Governor Cuomo Announces Route 73 will Reopen in Ten Days As Recovery Continues After Hurricane Irene

http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/09052011route73reopening

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Sounds like the trail up Marcy is in pretty good shape, details here.  Pretty interesting looking slide on Algonquin too.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Condor and I hiked around Gore for a bit last night. There are quite a few trees down in the Cirque/Sagamore glade areas. Hopefully we'll get around to some other areas soonish.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Face4Me
I guess government CAN get things done ... when they want to, and when all the bureaucratic nonsense and corruption are taken out of the equation.

http://pressrepublican.com/breaking2/x397275456/Cuomo-stops-in-to-reopen-Route-73-in-Keene-Valley

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Irene Damage Reports?

Harvey
Administrator
DEC won't rebuild the Duck Hole dam

The state Department of Environmental Conservation does not plan to rebuild the dam at Duck Hole, an iconic pond deep in the High Peaks Wilderness.

The wooden dam was breached in the flooding caused by Tropical Storm Irene in late August, draining about two-thirds of the impoundment.

http://adirondackexplorer.org/out-takes/2011/11/16/dec-wont-rebuild-duck-hole-dam/
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
It will be interesting to watch the progression of the forest reclaiming that area..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
jimvdak wrote
It will be interesting to watch the progression of the forest reclaiming that area..
It's a good thing you're young (at least I think you are).  The Flowed Lands dam was breached geez, maybe 25 years ago and was not re-constructed.  The de-watered area there is essentially meadow.  It'll be many decades before the succession progresses to forest.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe