CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damage Report, Scotty?

Darkside Shaman
Not good in the North Creek area! High winds reeked havoc upon Shaman HQ and the high elevations were ravaged!
From what I have seen and  read this morning it is going to be a long cleanup...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Keene, Jay and Elizabethtown areas were all hit very, very hard:

- North Country Public Radio
 - Press Republican
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
whiteface got hit hard on the lower mountain and access roads and river pump house. the mountain got 7.5 inches of rain on top of the mountain. we still have power at the lodge and will be open for business tomorrow if all goes well. there are some trees on the power and lift lines that are getting removed as we speak. this is the third wash out this off season and the crews are good at fixing washouts
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
It will undoubtedly take some time for reports to filter in regarding damage in the backcountry, here's one indication:

http://adirondackexplorer.org/out-takes/2011/08/29/marcy-dam-bridge-washed-away/

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Sorry to hear that Shaman.

I have very little damage, very few sticks down considering how windy it was. Power was out from 9 pm last night to 11 am today. Nice sunny day today.

Hope everybody is OK.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Jess at Hunter:

"There's a lot of area damage and most utilities are still out. The mtn is fine."

Railroad Ave, Legg's Garage
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Rutland is under water.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Snowballs
The high peaks caused the outer storm band to get stuck and dump rain - that outer band stayed over us from 6 am to late last night. 8 inches of rain in a flat place is a big puddle but add mountains to let it slide down and get a head of steam it was hugely destructive.

Pretty much anything in a river valley suffered severe infastructure damage.  Roads and bridges are washed out all over the place.  The culvert work in the notch was being dragged out by the contractor and since it was not complete the road is now totally gone (nice job a-- hole).  It only took a week to fix the culvert in Wilmington which was bigger but this guy had dragged this out for months now.  Word is its going to be weeks to months to get LP connected again with Wilmington.

The towns of Keene, Keene Valley, Upper Jay and Ausable Forks are devasated.  In Ausable Forks the river was at almost 19 feet last night and flood stage is 7 feet.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
check out www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com lots of new damage photos, really impressive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
  In Ausable Forks the river was at almost 19 feet last night and flood stage is 7 feet.
Wow. Wonder what the High Falls Gorge or the Ausable Chasm was like. When we went through the Chasm years ago, the guide said spring snow melt frequently raises the water level up " close " to the top, some 30-40 ft(?) up.

Bet the Gorge is absolutely rippin. Would be cool to see from high ground.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Does anyone know if the bridge, KV..John's Brooke, by the Mountaineer got washed out?

Lots of trees and limbs down around my house in Wilmington..thank God none of them did any damage..came close.

I can't remember rain that hard for that long.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Does anyone know if the bridge, KV..John's Brooke, by the Mountaineer got washed out?

Lots of trees and limbs down around my house in Wilmington..thank God none of them did any damage..came close.

I can't remember rain that hard for that long.
I heard from Jay News that that bridge is gone
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Adkdailyenterprise had a story on the bridges being gone and flood water being around the mtn'eer shop.

Thank God it wasn't a Cat 4-5.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
ausable skier wrote
I heard from Jay News that that bridge is gone
A friend who lives in KV says the bridge is open.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
ausable skier wrote
Word is its going to be weeks to months to get LP connected again with Wilmington.
Just got the word that the Notch is open.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
thanks - that is great news - i just had heard that troppers were going thru there somehow but the public was not allowed to - are you sure?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
The DEC has closed the eastern High Peaks area and adjoining wilderness areas through the weekend.  I was just hiking in that area (Colvin and Blake) on Saturday, the day before Irene hit.  I haven't heard yet of any new slides coming down, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one new slide from Irene.

The Great Range (L-R Basin, Saddleback, Gothics) from the east, Saturday 8/27:
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Post on adk forum  http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=16160

Flew the high peaks this afternoon.

Lots of slides in the High Peaks Region - Wright, Colden-north, Trap Dike, Basin, Haystack, Wolfjaws, Dixes, Giant ... I lost track after a while. The bridge over Marcy Dam is gone and the dam is leaking significantly. There are numerous washouts on the Marcy Dam Truck Trail. Marcy Brook between Marcy Dam and Avalanche Camps jumped its banks, carved a new channel and wiped out much of the trail. The VH trail above Marcy Dam is eroded 1-3 ft deep in many places. The handrails on the suspension bridge on the Calamity Pond trail are gone and the trail is not passable.

The biggest news was that Duck Hole Dam breached and the pond dewatered.

The Adirondak Loj road is closes at the bridge crossing just south of the South Meadows Rd. Interbrook Rd (access to the Garden) is not passable past the Johns Brook Bridge.

DEC has closed all trails in the eastern management zone if the High Peaks Wilderness, Dix Mtn Wilderness and Giant Mtn Wilderness. The press release should be going out tomorrow if it has not already.