classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jay Peak 2k18

MidwestTeleMan
Hey everyone!

I will be at Jay peak this upcoming February 8-12 but am still not sure about where to go and what to hit. Are there any restaurants to go to that are local gems? Is there any lodging not many know about?

I would hope to possibly see some of you there while I am there!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jay Peak 2k18

tjf1967
Its Jay Peak your going to want to stay right on the mountain unless you are bringing the party with you, in which case you are going to have more fun staying on the mountain.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
We've got quite the crew coming to the mountain for the days we're there so on or off the mountain is ok with us. I am unaware if there are some local spots to stay that aren't published normally if you have stayed there as well. I'll look into the ski and stay packages but it's generally a bit expensive for what we could whip together usually.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MidwestTeleMan
MidwestTeleMan wrote
Hey everyone!

I will be at Jay peak this upcoming February 8-12 but am still not sure about where to go and what to hit. Are there any restaurants to go to that are local gems? Is there any lodging not many know about?

There is a good chance I might be there during that time period. I don't plan trips until somewhat last-minute, so can't know for sure. I stay on the Montgomery side, and recommend eating at the Snowshoe Pub, Bernie's and/or the Belfry. For a little higher end fare, check out the Inn on the Trout.

Here some options for lodging:

All in Montgomery Center, within 10 minutes of Jay and stumbling distance to food/beverages:

Cheap & funky: Grampa Grunt's: www.facebook.com/grampagrunts
Cheap and right above good bar/restaurant: Snowshoe Lodge: www.snowshoelodgeandpubvt.com (think dive motel above a loud bar)
One of many B&Bs: Phineas Swan: http://phineasswann.com/
Cool little cabins, not cheap: http://www.sheadyacres.com/

Raymo stayed in a cool rental cabin, less than 10 minutes from the hill:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Jay-Peak-3-3-3-7-2014-tp4037745p4037746.html

Here is a good thread with lots of info, including "Jay Peak 101" post:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Jay-Peak-lodging-and-best-runs-tp4056498.html

Another "first time to Jay" thread:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Jay-Peak-where-would-you-ski-tp3701930.html

And of course, read my entire blog, linked below!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Jay has built up a lot of dining options at the resort. The cafe food is still pretty standard fair but their restaurants are solid, I was impressed with the value that Alice's Table offers for lunch. For off mountain, the Belfry and the Snowshoe on the Montgomery side have the local vibe.

You can search Google for lodging in the area, there aren't any secrets. Maybe check AirBnB or whatever, especially if you have a big group... you might be able to find a house to rent for your long weekend.

I day trip so I have no idea what Jay offers for ski and stay packages. Give their reservation line a call and let them know the size of your group and days you want to ski and that you are considering your options and see what they can offer you. On mountain may be cheaper than off mountain if you can get discounted lift tickets.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
There's a development called Alpine Haven where, I'm sure, you can rent an Austrian style ski chalet.  4 miles to the hill.  The chalets are independently owned and built mostly in the '70's, but many of them have been renovated.

I grew up at Jay, had a pass there for about 20 years.  SBR's report is bang-on, especially about the JFK and Milk Run.  The runs off the face are really great if there's enough snow.

A couple of other points:
If you go too far skiers' right on Timbuktu, you'll end up on 242 and have to hike or thumb a ride back....a little less than a mile.

Green Beret is friggin' cool.  There's an 8' rock right in the middle of the thing.  You could ski around it, but.....

On the trail map, Ullr's really flattens out about where Kokomo is.  Carry some speed there, or start skating.  A few years back, there was a few week stretch where a moose was hanging out on the side of that ski out.

You can get to the other side from any lift.  Even without a trail map, if you stay skiers' right at every opportunity you get from the Tram side to the State side.  Opposite is true too, skiers' left from the State side will get you to the Tram side.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MidwestTeleMan wrote
I will be at Jay peak this upcoming February 8-12 but am still not sure about where to go and what to hit.
Hit Smuggs!

Seriously though why did you choose Jay? Not saying it is not a fine choice.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
Mainly chose Jay for the snow there, I'd rather go somewhere the snow will be good guaranteed rather than risking it. Also, Looks absolutely fantastic, gonna hit Mad River on the way back to Boston as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
MidwestTeleMan wrote
Mainly chose Jay for the snow there, I'd rather go somewhere the snow will be good guaranteed rather than risking it. Also, Looks absolutely fantastic, gonna hit Mad River on the way back to Boston as well.
If you have time, check out the Mad River Barn for dinner.  Right down the road from MRG.  Was owned for a while by the woman who owned MRG.  The young couple who took it over and completely redid the buildings while keeping the exterior are really nice.  The husband is a the chef.  I stayed for a couple nights midweek a few years ago and really enjoyed the included hot breakfast.  Got really lucky and hit MRG and Sugarbush shortly after a powder storm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MidwestTeleMan wrote
Mainly chose Jay for the snow there, I'd rather go somewhere the snow will be good guaranteed rather than risking it.
There are no guarantees of course and Jay probably does do a bit better than the neighbors, Smuggs and Stowe. One thing is for sure, if the trees are as tight as you say at Bohemia, you may be stunned at the wide open spacing at Jay.  IMO Mad is tighter.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
If you have time, check out the Mad River Barn for dinner.  Right down the road from MRG.  Was owned for a while by the woman who owned MRG.  The young couple who took it over and completely redid the buildings while keeping the exterior are really nice.  The husband is a the chef.  I stayed for a couple nights midweek a few years ago and really enjoyed the included hot breakfast.  Got really lucky and hit MRG and Sugarbush shortly after a powder storm.
I have actually been there before! I have been to Vermont a couple times to actually downhill skateboard both sides of that mountain pass. Really gnarly and fun, even gnarlier before the pavement patches went in. I hear the backside was completely repaved too.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
There are no guarantees of course and Jay probably does do a bit better than the neighbors, Smuggs and Stowe. One thing is for sure, if the trees are as tight as you say at Bohemia, you may be stunned at the wide open spacing at Jay.  IMO Mad is tighter.
Yea I definitely noticed how open they were at Jay, which is OK but I will just search out some tighter turns and go with the locals for it. Another reason is that not all of my friends and I are skiiers, a few of my friends are reps for snowboard companies and I snowboard mainly as well. Also, I am not sure if the November to February timeframe is enough for me to be confident enough tele skiing MRG as it is my first year. I'm gonna try and see what I can do though.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
MidwestTeleMan wrote
Hey everyone!

There is a good chance I might be there during that time period. I don't plan trips until somewhat last-minute, so can't know for sure. I stay on the Montgomery side, and recommend eating at the Snowshoe Pub, Bernie's and/or the Belfry. For a little higher end fare, check out the Inn on the Trout.

Here some options for lodging:

All in Montgomery Center, within 10 minutes of Jay and stumbling distance to food/beverages:

Cheap & funky: Grampa Grunt's: www.facebook.com/grampagrunts
Cheap and right above good bar/restaurant: Snowshoe Lodge: www.snowshoelodgeandpubvt.com (think dive motel above a loud bar)
One of many B&Bs: Phineas Swan: http://phineasswann.com/
Cool little cabins, not cheap: http://www.sheadyacres.com/

Raymo stayed in a cool rental cabin, less than 10 minutes from the hill:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Jay-Peak-3-3-3-7-2014-tp4037745p4037746.html

Here is a good thread with lots of info, including "Jay Peak 101" post:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Jay-Peak-lodging-and-best-runs-tp4056498.html

Another "first time to Jay" thread:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Jay-Peak-where-would-you-ski-tp3701930.html

And of course, read my entire blog, linked below!
SBR, let me know! I'll be staying in the red barn house at Montgomery center across the street from the market and the snow shoe lodge
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
MidwestTeleMan wrote
SBR, let me know! I'll be staying in the red barn house at Montgomery center across the street from the market and the snow shoe lodge
Will do. I know exactly which house you mean, my brother's place is not far from there.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
Less than a month away! I'll see SBR out there in Montgomery at the bar and on the slopes, who else will I see?