163 messages Options
123456 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jay Peak Conditions

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
To help while away the time while we are waiting for Steve's TR, Matt's video and TBatt's pics, here is some more torture from today:

A November To Remember from Jay Peak on Vimeo.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Speaking of awesome pics, Riv, I keep refreshing The Snow Way Hoping to see a report, but haven't seen it yet. C'mon! I had to work today. Give me some stoke!
I was by myself and it was stormy so I didn't get any awesome pics. I had to work yesterday after I took my run and I didn't get home until after 9 and I just got home right now tonight. No time for a TR, I have an appointment I have to get to in two hours. Tomorrow... working like 7am-9pm straight through. Friday... more of the same. Don't hold your breathe of it getting done before the weekend at this point.

I really have no right to complain, but work is really holding me back right now. Weds-Fri should have been vaca days for me. Instead, I woke up at 4:45am to get a single run. I know no one is going to feel sorry for that... but when I am working so much I can't take a single full day off for a powder day and I can't get enough free time to make a TR for my one run... well, something is wrong. It is still wrong and it is still getting worse.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
That is what I'm saying CoachZ, commitment and dedication right there from Riverc0il with long drives and consecutive dawn patrols on work days.

Kudos Riverc0il!!!
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like lake effect/Jay Cloud nukeage tonight:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Makes me think that i picked the wrong town of Jay to live in
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Jonny Jay (in orange) checks out the whales on Can Am earlier today. Don't ask how he got on the chair ahead of the rest of us.

Just back from three days at JPR. In short, cold, firm and fast. Really cold, in fact, for the first two days. But the weather kept the riffraff away, so lines were non-existent and high-speed cruising was a very enjoyable option. Some glades were in play but only just.

If you skied where the snow was, it was great. If not, then not so much.

Full report to come on the RJPSR.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Just back from three days skiing at Jay. There is no shortage of snow. Conditions were interesting, though. Nothing like being stopped in your tracks by a four foot drift.

Full report later.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
Jay was all time this weekend.  Deep base from the past several weeks, with about 15-20 inches of blower on top.  Had to be the lightest snow of the season by far.  Everything was so filled it...and it was like mid-winter.  Love the terrain and snow there...but doesn't give me the warm fuzzies quite like Hickory.  Didn't really get pictures, but here is one at Beaver Pond:

If it couldn't get better than skiing blower pow all day, I got to jam with Robert Randolph and the Family Band on Saturday night.  Here is a clip of the last few seconds: <nabble_embed> www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ko8ULGl0aQ </nabble_embed>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ko8ULGl0aQ
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
How are the glades holding up at Jay?

My sons spring break is next week and I'm thinking of road tripping
Reply | Threaded
|

sophiamclewis
Guys, can I ask what is the nice place to spent a ski vacation?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
sophiamclewis wrote
Guys, can I ask what is the nice place to spent a ski vacation?
Wow sophia you are a total spammer but somehow.... that... avatar ... makes... it hard for me... to ban you.

Every forum needs a stock photo model ...from the Phillipines.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I concur ---- she's a keeper
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jay is opening Friday for passholders, Saturday for all.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hunter and Windham are going to beat them then.  They are opening 11/21 for all.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
snoloco wrote
Hunter and Windham are going to beat them then.  They are opening 11/21 for all.
Jay Peak doesn't care. They typically don't participate in the "first to open race" because those manic hills to the south are always going to win.

Jay passholders deserve a day on their own, given what they put up with for the rest of the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Tru dat SBR. It's not their brand. Snowmaking have almost nothing to do with who they are. I really like the way they handled the announcement.

You can't to compare Jay Peak to Hunter or Windham and have any credibility, Sno.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I hate the place and will never ski there again, so I find it amusing see 2 mountains which aren't exactly season pushers beat them to opening.  All the trails were golf ball sized ice chunks on top of boilerplate when I was there and those were some of the most consistent crappy conditions I have seen in a weekend on the slopes.  I guess someone who is more of a tree skier would find it better, but I'm not much of a tree skier and for the little tree skiing I do, Gore's glades are more than adequate and Gore and other mountains do a much better job with snowmaking and grooming for the rest of the time when I am not skiing trees.  I am just going to stop posting in this thread because why bother posting about a place that I hate and will never go to again.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
snoloco wrote
Jay Peak doesn't care. They typically don't participate in the "first to open race" because those manic hills to the south are always going to win.

Jay passholders deserve a day on their own, given what they put up with for the rest of the season.
What besides a crap load of snow do you Jay peak guys have to "put up with"?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Coach Z wrote
What besides a crap load of snow do you Jay peak guys have to "put up with"?
Well, they are somewhat First World Problems, but off the top of my head: the agonizingly variable conditions; ridiculous holiday lift lines; looming spectre of over-development; the COLD; the WIND; the COLD and the WIND combined; the 54 steps of Stateside; the tyranny of choice (oh, shall I ski Timbuktu or shall I ski The Orchard, you know); whether to go for a chai latte at Tramside or a coffee at Stateside; the fact that the waterpark is so hot when you are in your ski togs, man, I could go on.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Holiday lift line are long every where

You've got development we got orda

Don't even try talking about cold and wind to WF skiers

The hard choice which of countless glades with great cover.  Oh the humanity of it.  
123456 ... 9