23 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Kandahar Race / West Mt advise

Z
This post was updated on .
My son made the Podium for the Kandhar GS today so he on the States next weekend at West Mt

I've never skied there before.  Someone give me the low down on what to ski there.

Has anyone stayed at the Sleep Inn and Suites in Queensbury?  Says its recenly remodeled and about $100

Any good restaurant choices.  I thought Davidson Bros is good.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: West Mt advise

Snowballs
Banned User
Mikado's restaurant downtown Glen's Falls is great. http://www.mikadosushi-glensfalls.com/

Many people like http://bistrotallulah.com/

Both are very near Davidson's. Lots of great choices for food downtown GF.

Good Chinese take out at East Wok Hannaford Plaza on the main road from West Mtn. into GF,,, about a mile past the Northway going into town 745-5975 or also 5976. The Combo platters are cheap and filling also...... 15 minnot !

If the Mtn is busy, head to the triple chair,,,, far skier's left.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The race will probably be on Mach, which is off the triple chair. So that will be the crowded lift. The mountain is easy to get, not much there.

No info on hotels, I always day trip, but the Heidleberg has great German food, and El Mexican in Hudson Falls gives you free Quesadillas and Tequila shots with your meal (assuming you'll go to Davidson Brothers or Cooper's Cave or one of those beer places, though).
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
What you may want to do is bring a grill and cook lunch in that far parking lot. That old lodge is a wreck, not even the bathrooms work. My advice, park the car so you can see the coarse and bring a book.

BTW - congrats to little Z
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
(assuming you'll go to Davidson Brothers or Cooper's Cave or one of those beer places, though).
I much prefer Davidson's to Cooper's Cave. Cooper's Cave beer taste ratty ,too yeasty.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
  Kandhar

Coach --- did you know the Kandahar originated at Greek Peak? Pretty cool history. The original sponsors (Chip's Kandahar) son's are part of our crew. It's amazing what this race has turned into.

History of the Kandahar Race in NYS
I’d like to express my thinks to David Wenn, NSA Headmaster, Head
Coach in the early ‘70s at Greek Peak, creator of this event and Paul VanSlyke,
owner of Twitchell Sportswear for their good memories and some clever research
on Paul’s part. This piece was originally created as part of a Ski Racing article.
Kandahar began in 1974. Dave estimated there were about 80 racers the
first year. Now we have over 300 total each year who participate. It was created
as an opportunity for kids who did not make state teams to continue ski racing
through the season. The Kandahar name comes from the original sponsor of the
race, Chip Armstrong. The name of the shop was Chip’s Kandahar in Cortland,
NY.
Since the first year of this Jr III,IV,V race NYSSRA has sent a State Team
to Gunstock, NH for the Buddy Werner Championships – now called the Piche
Invitational. Development level ski racers gather from all over the East to clinic
together on Friday and race on Saturday in March. Fun is abundant at both our
Kandahar Series and in Gunstock.
For years Kandahar was run at Greek Peak. These wonderful events
were prior to sophisticated snow making equipment. No matter what, the Greek
peak Ski Club got this event off. The race has always been a two day event.
Families from around the State became acquainted and all present pulled
together to make it happen. This event has always embodied some of the best
aspects of ski racing.
The Foundation of the original event was based on the idea of athlete
development and outdoor fun. Kandahar continues to this day to promote the
same purpose.
Kandahar was held at Greek Peak until about 1991 and then began to
move around the State. It has been held at Brantling, Holimont, West Mtn and
Gore Mtn. 2007 hosts are West Mtn, Holimont and Song Mtn. Kandahar
Championships are at Labrador.
Note: The name Kandahar came from the following – Sir Henry Lunn
organized what can be called the first formal Alpine Downhill in Switzerland in
1911. At stake was the Kandahar Trophy (donated by Lord Roberts of
Kandahar, India). Henry’s son, Arnold is credited with inventing the modern
slalom in 1922 in a competition at Murren, Switzerland and with championing the
push to include alpine skiing in the Winter Olympics. After only a combined event
at Winter Olympics in 1936, Alpine Skiing emerged in it’s own right in the next
Winter Games in 1948 with Downhill and Slalom Events.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Coach , Sleep Inn is fine , decent rooms , decent breakfast , reasonable rates have stayed there severl times . Matt is right about the Heidelberg .... Good german cuisine ,  decent OLive Garden ithere too.

West is well ok but the kids will be on the BEST side so whats left is skiing but for you pretty pedestrian i d guess.

We usually ski West for a break after skiing Gore for 2 ,3. Days in row on our annual Gore Week roadshow .

BTW my son and i were at The FACE. Saturday , what a fantastic day , sunny. Decent temps , no wind , mtn was fairly crowded with what had to be a huge NCAA event  several college race teams  were there . We got to the mtn at 7:35 and had to park out on the access road at the very end near the Wilmingtonlot

My son  came up from Manhattan on the new ski bus deal ( awesome deal $107  includes the ride on luxury bus , lift ticket , bagels and coffee AND the first. Beer  ðŸ˜ˆðŸ˜ˆðŸ˜ˆ).  He it all the stuff up top  Skyward ,, got a good vid of that run  cloudspin , hoyts , wilmington, plus alot of the stuff on Little Whiteface that was open to the public .

Me at damn near 72 and nursing a nasty groin pull and shoulder bonk from a previous biff this season  thought that that stuff was over my pay grade right now 😆 so i cruised all the upper valley stuff and had a great day . the Face IS the REAL Deal .gotto get back

BTW i have got to get wider skis ,ur right those 65 mm supercross skis are just too damn nrrow now , My son had his new Crimson Ti 's on and loved them .. Good luck to your boy , have fun down in GF
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camp

Thanks for the history lesson.  Didnt know Dave Ween started it.  Fitting that the finals are at his new home West.

This is how it has evolved with the new age U classes.  There were 3 Kandahar Fests this past weekend.  Eastern NY was Hunter, GP was central and Holimont West.  U14 that did not make it to State Champs go to this fest.  For U12 these races act as their qualifying for Kandahar Finals which are the State Champs for U12.  Format is 2 runs Kombi Saturday and 2 runs GS Sunday.  My son is much stronger in GS than SL.  The Fest fields are big.  My son ran last 74th in U12 boys in first run and finished 3rd.  Finals fields are a little smaller maybe around 45.

For U12 the top 12 boys and 12 girls from Final advance to Pische at Gunstock.  This is based on a quota assigned to NY based on how many USSA racers each state has compared to the East as a whole.

Format for Finals is one run Kombi and one GS.  Format for Pische is 2 runs GS.

Sites for Fests and Finals rotate in the East.  Maybe it always stays at GP in Central.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Kandahar / West Mt advise

Z
some photos from the Kandahar Fest race this past weekend at Hunter

They had a jump on the Kombi that had the kids that were booking really flying far

GS he was ripping fast

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice high line by Little Z
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Awesome shots of your boy. Good luck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Kandahar Race / West Mt advise

YUKON CORNELIUS
Lots of good advice here. West is a small hill and fun for cruising, but there's nothing all that crazy. The restaurant at the "main mountain" has new people running it and the food is much improved.

Davidson's > Cooper's Cave, but can be inconsistent food wise. Bistro Tallulah is really good, but will mostly likely want a reservation. Rockhill Bakehouse makes a good sandwich. Raul's has good California Mexican, but is small inside if you're with a large group. Morgan & Company is new, but has some really good food. The chef won an episode of "Chopped". All are near one another in GF. Just a heads up that downtown can keep some odd hours, so check ahead.

If you're staying in QBY, the Recovery Room & O'Toole's are decent enough for large groups and families. Wings, Burgers, Nachos, etc.

I have to agree with MC that El Mexicano is pretty awesome.

Good luck to Z Jr!

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
Great Camera work Coach, I can see Little Z on Universal Sports in the future.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Coach, I really like West. If it was in my backyard, I'd go all the time. If Kandahar is on lookers right, it's kind of a shame for your skiing because those are nice trails. Far lookers left is also interesting. There are quite a few tree lines if you feel like poking around too. The lift situation may need a slight upgrade but the people there kind of make up for it. Also, when you're looking at a half day of skiing and lunch for $20, what else would you really need.

Good luck to the kid.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Gunny J
There was a camera pro taking shots and selling them at the race.  Dude has skill!

Sent a bunch of these over to Elan today.  The camera guy nailed the money shots.
Reply | Threaded
|

chanwmr
West used to run a lot of races. Supposedly their hill is great for J3/U16 SG. They like to run state champs there (like J3/J2/J1). After a 3 years or so break, they are now back. They always did run on the farside away from the mean area. Like others have said, that base is (at least was) pretty rustic. That side is good for races but the venue sucks pretty big time for spectators.
Reply | Threaded
|

chanwmr
Coach Z wrote
Sites for Fests and Finals rotate in the East.  Maybe it always stays at GP in Central.
Central's rotates too. Bids go in for 2 years at a time. So, likely it could be elsewhere next year again. In fact, it hasn't been held at Greek for many many years (at least 10).
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It's time that Gunstock is not the only venue for U12 Easterns.  There are so much better places to do it that would be more central to everyone in the East and have better skiing.

Hunter was terrible for the Kandahar fest.  The little poma that couldn't was a disaster and they couldn't keep on schedule.  The guy doing the awards announcement was down right rude
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Was that poma lift breaking or something?  What was wrong with the announcement guy?  Was it better or worse than Belleayre?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

chanwmr
Coach Z wrote
It's time that Gunstock is not the only venue for U12 Easterns.  There are so much better places to do it that would be more central to everyone in the East and have better skiing.
Actually, I liked Gunstock (at least for my one and only time there). It's like Greek size but with more NE types of terrains. Definitely not centralized for the East Coast though. I think it's more of a tradition than anything else. The other plus is the name "Gunstock" is catchy and bold for anyone younger than 13 and their parents; at least it was to us at the time.

BTW, Kandahar started when they originally wanted to extend the season for J3 for those who didn't make states (it's the shortest of all age groups for NYS) even though J4/5 were also invited to that event. Now that they did away with U16 altogether for Kandahar, I guess sticking to tradition is no longer a constraint anymore.