123456 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kid Stoke!

Marcski
Harvey44 wrote
Anybody have their kids in Karate?

We just discovered it. It's way cheap and all about discipline.

Diggin it!

My youngest, 5 y.o., has a Karate class during camp once or 2x a week this summer. After the first day, she came home and was telling us how karate is not about hitting and kicking but about listening and concentrating. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Martial arts are also helpful for everyday thinking and awareness. Trying to remember your patterns, one steps, reciting terminology, pattern definition and other things while others are watching or during testing (and you're fatigued) helps one think.

Because of this, I always tell people Tae Kwon Do is something I use everyday. Which of course, gets odd looks.

Even simple things, like having to Ki-yup (yell) while working out helps to make one more assertive. Many people are too embarassed to ki-yup, worrying more about what others think instead of just going ahead and asserting themselves.

"Don't be shy...YAAAAH!!!" After awhile it's natural.

Now, a joke...

What was Bruce Lee's favorite drink?

"WAAAAA-taaaaa!!!!"

Concentrate Grasshopper.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Tonight Neve insisted that she make desert. She also insisted desert was going to be "real."

She called her creation Grover:

Grover is made of carrots, blueberries and grapes. If you look closely you can see Grover's smile, made from grapes.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Not sure this shouldn't be in the OT but...

...almost as cool as the first time we rode the Gondola and skied Sunway together ...

Tonight, Neve read "Pig Wig Can Hit" to me, for her bedtime story.

She's been reading to Zelda (for a penny a word!) but for some reason my even with my offers to up the anti to a NICKEL...

I had been shut out, until tonight.

Dig it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Great video from the Dewey Mountain Youth Ski League.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
A single dad friend of mine made this little edit after his Christmas ski time with his daughter. It is his first video edit, I hope you like it:

Sienna Skiing from Jeff Strano on Vimeo.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
What a great video Sick Bird Rider.  I think I will take my daughter skiing tonight.  I think she is about the same age :)

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Mountain Adventure 4-5 y/o group few weeks ago:

Reply | Threaded
|

Village Chair

Danzilla
When they installed the village chair 5 or so years ago I have to admit that I was one of the people who said WTF.  I thought "who the heck is ever going to use that thing - what a waste!"

Well this past weekend I took my 3 1/2 year old over to the village chair on Saturday and Sunday and I am now a HUGE fan.  We mostly had the hill to ourselves.  We skied on barely touched cord.  We got to rest on our way up and didn't have to fight with the jbar.  No dodging of beginners and looking over my should to make sure we don't get wiped out. I was also able to train Ashley to exit a chairlift that has a nice gentle exit slope vs. the steep exits on the sunway chair.  

If you have little kids that you are teaching to ski take a trip to the ski bowl - you won't regret it.  You can even ride the shuttle there and back to the main lodge on the weekend.

Did I mention that we were able to park 50 feet from the chair?  Big fan.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kid Stoke!

Adk Keith
After a quick snow ball fight - Grrrr

My granddaughter's first day on skis. :)

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
i hope all of you with the little ones have the most rewarding and humbling experience one day of having your a$$ kicked all over the mountain as i did this past saturday at the blue mountain (pa) bump and jump mogul comp.

junior rockin the booter

he was pretty happy about making the cut only to be eliminated by the 2nd place overall mens finisher in the duals, little does he know he's grounded for a week!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Major stokeliage.  

After months of saying she just did not want to ride a bike (without training wheels), Neve agreed to give it a shot for father's day.

This was surprisingly easy, took about ten minutes:

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
awesome fathers day present harv! i still remember those days with my kids and the current ones are just as exciting! a few weeks ago my son crashed and burned on an mtb ride. after waiting a few minutes i turned around to find him carrying his bike out of the woods on the backside of a big berm, his first words after getting cleaned up and packing up the car were "when can we go again?!?!"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Major stokeliage.  

After months of saying she just did not want to ride a bike (without training wheels), Neve agreed to give it a shot for father's day.

This was surprisingly easy, took about ten minutes:
That is majorly awesome. Will you be as stoked when you take the picture of her driving away in the car by herself for the first time?

And Gorgonzola, you are the best kind of dad for getting your kid covered in mud.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola...LOVE that pic.

Confession time. This was done without me.  Zelda decided that Neve was way more likely to get 'er done without me and she was right.  They sent me inside for about 10 minutes and Neve was riding/wobbling her way around the driveway.  

SBR - Have you seen this?  It's a classic:

(Do they have commercials in Hinterlandia?)

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey44 wrote
SBR - Have you seen this?  It's a classic:

(Do they have commercials in Hinterlandia?)
Ahhh. Clever video marketing presentation. Guess you will be shopping for a Subaru next time. Commercials? What are these commercials you speak of? Perhaps your American marketers should try to sell this concept to our state-run television station. It would be a nice break from oil sands propaganda, Meerkat Manor and busy beavers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
My kid story is, as Laurel gets older she is less into hiking.  Last year she blasted right up Cascade, she led the whole way.  When we reached the treeline, she started running for the summit.  She's got the ability and the gas if she's motivated.  My big challenge:  I need to find like-minded families that have a child or children close to her in age.  I think hiking might be more fun then.

She definitely loves skiing.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I saw this featured on the PSIA web site and thought it would fit into this thread.  

The most important part of this video is where it talks about proper terrian selection when skiing with your kids.  Do it right and you'll be enjoying skiing with them soon on much harder terrian as they get better.  Push too hard and you can scare them or retard their skill development long term.  Kids react to steep slopes by leaning back and then you have created a bad habit that will be hard to get rid of as they get older.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Harv,

Fantastic!!

My youngest is now 12. She has been a NYSEF kid for several years now. Not a fast racer but a very technical and solid skier. Three years ago we had a mid-week powder day, I took the chance school would be canceled and we skied a mid week powder day, he first time down the cirque chute - swoosh swoosh and she was in the trees making sweet powder turns. Makes you smile all inside. Later that season on a Sat morning we had 10" of snow  the night before. I took advantage of my job and grabbed the triple before the mountain opened and we figure 8'd showcase - sweet. Then later that year we went to Alta, we scooted to the top of Rustler hill on a deep powder morning, she jumped in at the top, dropped into waist deep powder and didn't stop until she was half way to the first cat track. At 10 that was quite a resume. We are now hiking the 46 (36 down - 10 to go). She has documented the journey in her blog. We are headed back to Utah this spring, I have
not taken her down Gunsight or Eddies yet - but their on the list and she wants to hike Baldy if the main chute is open.

When your interests align kids are just a blast.

123456 ... 8