Re: Killington Conditions

nepa
Just noticed there is a Killington thread on Turns All Year
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rj1972
Killington is re-opening Sunday morning. Snowmaking will begin tonight.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Maybe after midnight. Looks like the peak will have favorable temps but they lost so much, last pic I saw had them back to grass. I hope they can turn it around.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
These were taken on the 10th posted on TAY

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Looking at the North Ridge web cam that is not what you see. Looks pretty green and wet. But they were there and I am here. To be honest, that looks more like what I saw at the end of Oct, not after this last rain and melt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It's a winter wonderland up here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
The beast is fired up and roaring!! http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/northridge.html
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex

From 8:15 this morning. Looks like they will be working on cleaning off that lift for awhile.
Will likely delay the start but they sure put down a lot of gack.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
This post was updated on .
PeeTex wrote

From 8:15 this morning. Looks like they will be working on cleaning off that lift for awhile.
Will likely delay the start but they sure put down a lot of gack.
That lift is the canyon quad which is not being used now, the Northridge Triple is to the east next trail over.

Day 5
Well today was really good, a huge bummer, and then pretty fucking good ⛷😤😉

Here's the scoop:
Gondi started loading at 10, but I had some work to do early, so I arrived around 10:45. Booted up and loaded Gondi just after 11. Quickly hiked down to the top of Rime and enjoyed a ripping first run on perfect manmade pow complete with a variety of little bumps of which to pop off and smile widely! The lift line looked long, but I zipped to the single line and was back on lift in 7 min. Second run I took reason through the park and the aroma of skunky goodness was abound😎 and the snow was sweet!
Surprisingly upper east fall was open and was very rippable and the water bars provided even more things to play on :)

Upon reaching the lift corral and making halfway back to loading, there was sudden extremely loud screaming sound kinda like really bad feedback from a speaker; I spun around and watched the wires on the power pole right next to the lift explode and fry!!!

The lift stopped as did the Gondi as we could see it across the valley.
In a few minutes personnel told us the obvious and we were waiting for the diesel to fire up and send us home for the day.

Within 20 min we loaded and up we went to hike back to the Gondi.

Bummed, yes!

I have a weekday pass and I had used a comp pass that I got for participating in the Mayday Slalom last year, and I was kinda pissed that I had wasted it.

Well, my fear was quickly alleviated as when we got off Gondi we were told to go to guest services for a comp!
Now my original comp was only good for preseason 12/13/15 and all paying people for the day paid early season rates, but we all got an unlimited access comp for this season🍺 My friend that has an express pass that debits your credit card for each day also got the same comp.

The moral of this story is that just because you blow snow does not make you king, customer service is still KING👑⛷
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I too experienced the electrical challenge today; however, I arrived at 10, so got a few more runs than Dark did. The snowmaking crew did one heck of a job considering they were starting from scratch. Oh well, at least I got some turns in.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Good job - sorry for the electrical, you got 20 minutes more skiing today than I did.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Yup, I'm a firm believer in the little things in life
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
After looking at the weekend's weather forecast and seeing the warmer temps and some mixed bag of precip coming in for the latter part of the weekend, my 9 yo and I played hookey on Wednesday and drove up to K-mart Tuesday night. Slept over and skied all day on Wednesday before driving back home for Turkey day.  The weather was perfect probably got up to about 30 or so on the moutain. They were blowing all day on I think Skylark and on a few runs on Snowdon. It was the first day of T2B skiing so, thankfully, no stairway to heaven for my babygirl. The mainline run from thr K1 to the North Ridge area started to get scraped off a bit by mid-day and the NRT runs were quite crowded.  They claimed to have 18 runs open and in the afternoon we discovered the upper Snowdon runs were only being accessed by the few who were riding the Upper Snowdon Poma. They were blowing on 2 or 3 runs which were still closed with another 2- 3 open with guns off. (I believe they were going to spin the Superstar and Snowdon quads starti g on Turkey day in an attempt to spread out thr crowds on what is still basically a limted amount of terrain. The Upper Snowdon runs were the runs of day with the best snow and fewest crowds.  We ended up lapping the poma for a few hours in the afternoon. It was a great first day.  Not many pics but here is one of my baby's first Poma ride:

Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
I skied Killington on Friday.  It was basically like spring skiing.  Lots of fun, and a good number of runs open.  That said, cover was definitely thin.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Rode Killington yesterday.  Planned on skiing for a couple of hours but spent the whole day because of the snow quality.  These guys know what they're doing.  Superb conditions all around the mountain, amazing what they can do with those snowguns.  Don't hesitate to pay these guys a visit.  
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Chris wrote
Rode Killington yesterday.  Planned on skiing for a couple of hours but spent the whole day because of the snow quality.  These guys know what they're doing.  Superb conditions all around the mountain, amazing what they can do with those snowguns.  Don't hesitate to pay these guys a visit.
I couldn't agree more!! Today's snow was amazing and the amount of terrain and coverage is mind blowing if you have skied anywhere else in the east this year. My pass is worth every penny I paid for it
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Couldn't agree more! Skied it Monday and Tuesday and was tickled pink with the amount of tarrain open. Aside from the suger on Broadway conditions were great.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
get after it!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
It was great to have options. The Beast delivers when others can't.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by ml242
 Just got back from a 8hr trek to ski the wrod at Killington. By the weekend crowds a lot of people want to be skiing .mother nature is really putting up a fight. Conditions were about what I expected. Too many people on too few of trails.  With the weather we have had here in NEPA is unbelievable to just get out on the snow. Thanks Killington
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
12345678 ... 26