Let's Brainstorm Gore Summer Money Making Ideas

39 messages Options
adkskier adkskier
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Let's Brainstorm Gore Summer Money Making Ideas

Harv's post about the Jay Peak water park sparked my idea for this thread. Many of us have commented about Gore's lackluster (pathetically lame and unmotivated) attempts at summer operations. In past years Gore offered lift served mountain biking and BBQ that was advertised even less than the winter operation and, therefore, failed. Mike will tell us these operations lost $$ and interfered with off season maintenance. In fact, they were poorly attended.
Now that the Ski Bowl is partially open some of the time, how about some summer offerings in that venue? Lake Placid is getting a zip line. We could use a zip line. How about an alpine slide similar to what Bromley offers. These activities would be family friendly and, very importantly, visible from Rte 28. I can think of only two obstacles; 1) $$ to invest and 2) in theory Ski Bowl Village may one day operate a links style golf course that criss crosses the ski trails. perhaps they could work around the golf operation or just get Front Street to back off the plan.
More ideas?
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Highpeaksdrifter Highpeaksdrifter
Reply |

Re: Let's Brainstorm Gore Summer Money Making Ideas

Here's a small idea...how about an outdoor rock climbing wall. ORDA wouldn't have to buy it...they could get someone in the business to install and operate it...then take a cut. Not alot of money, but it might get more people on site who might want food and drink, take a gondi ride..etc. maybe they could tie in with ADK Extreme
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by adkskier
How about a "cut your own glade" program?  

Ummm . . . I think mountain biking in the Ski Bowl area might be a better place to start.  I think starting with flatter xc-type trails with some flowy dh trail options would be better than straight up dh from the Gondola.  Riding the Gondola is really intimidating for a lot of people (especially when they see other riders with full face helmets, full body armor, and huge bikes hanging around).  I was a little bit intimidated this past weekend at Whiteface.

Speaking of Whiteface, I think the Flume trails and the Hardy road trails will probably end up getting a lot more traffic than the dh trails.  I was up there on Saturday, and there weren't that many people riding the dh trails (just about the same number as when I rode on Oktoberfest weekend last year), but when we drove by the Flume, every parking lot area and roadside pull off was packed.  It might be because a lot of the following day's race was on the Flume/Hardy road trails.  But a lot of it was on the freaking mountain (as in, climbing all the way to the base of the Summit lift and then riding down).

Is there a dh mountain biking operation in the east that turns a profit?  Does Plattekill?  I think the intimidation factor is what puts people off . . .
70s Gore Kid 70s Gore Kid
Reply |

Someone metioned Bromley:  with the Alpine Slide, Zip Line, EuroBungy and other activities it is a real summer hotspot in Southern Vt.  It also helps that it is right off a main highway and easily accessible to lots of Vermont visitors.

Check out Snowshoe's website down my way, for how a more out-of-the-way resort manages a pretty big summer operation.  Mountain Biking is big, as is canoeing and even swimming in their snowmaking lake.  Plus, they have concerts, a Chili Cookoff weekend, a Blues Festival weekend, real events to get you to want to come for two nights.

I believe Holiday Valley and Seven Springs also do the "summer weekend getaway" thing real well. The key is package deals, with hotel or condo rooms, and lots of events rolled into one price.  

Just gondola rides don't cut it for a summer destination.

One last thing:  I don't believe anyone is building Alpine Slides anymore.  Too much risk and too much liability, as the driver controls the sled. The new thing is mountain coasters.
Syracuse, NY
adkskier adkskier
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
"How about a "cut your own glade" program? "..........about 30 years late on that one. Someone beat you to it!
I Think, Therefore I Ski
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by adkskier
I don't really know much about summer operations, but it seems to me that in order to make a profit, you'd have to turn Gore into an actual summer destination.  As in, a place that people come to because it's got (x).  I don't think you could make money hoping that people will stop by every once in a while to take a scenic Gondola Ride.  What does the North Creek area have going for it in the summer?  There's rafting, is there anything else?  What do people want to do in the Summer?  Water Parks?  Mountain Biking? Paintball? Zipline? Obstacle Course? Renaissance Fair?

I'm just trying to think of things where I've actually said to myself "I want to do that, and I'm willing to drive a couple of hours to do it".  Until a resort can figure out something like that, I don't know if they'll ever see any real summer money.
70s Gore Kid 70s Gore Kid
Reply |

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

full blown water park a la Camelback
"Peace and Love"
adkskier adkskier
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
The Adirondacks, North Creek in particular, host many more tourists during the months of July and August than any of the winter months. So the draw is already here and, unlike skiers, the summer visitors tend to stay in the area for multiple nights. Visible, well marketed, activities will draw.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Hudsonhiker Hudsonhiker
Reply |

let the mountain rest in quiet for the summer.