Max Pass - where would you go Xmas & Pres week?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
70 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Max Pass - where would you go Xmas & Pres week?

skimore
Here's some 2014 data for ya SnoCone

http://www.theweathernetwork.com

Max Temp:  -4 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.1 2014

Min temp: -25 °C

Max Temp:  -1.5 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.2 2014

Min temp: -17.7 °C

Max Temp:  -4.5 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.3 2014

Min temp: -24.7 °C

Max Temp:  -4.5 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.4 2014

Min temp: -19.6 °C

Max Temp:  -7.6 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.5 2014

Min temp: -24.2 °C

Max Temp:  -9.6 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.6 2014

Min temp: -29.9 °C

Max Temp:  -8.3 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.7 2014

Min temp: -12.4 °C

Max Temp:  -7 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.8 2014

Min temp: -20.3 °C

Max Temp:  -7.3 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.9 2014

Min temp: -20.4 °C

Max Temp:  -8.3 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.10 2014

Min temp: -26 °C

Max Temp:  -13.4 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.11 2014

Min temp: -29.9 °C

Max Temp:  -8.4 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.12 2014

Min temp: -33 °C

Max Temp:  -2.1 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.13 2014

Min temp: -22.1 °C

Max Temp:  -5.3 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.14 2014

Min temp: -12.3 °C

Max Temp:  -4.7 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.15 2014

Min temp: -18 °C

Max Temp:  -8 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.16 2014

Min temp: -22.3 °C

Max Temp:  -7.1 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.17 2014

Min temp: -25.6 °C

Max Temp:  -5 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.18 2014

Min temp: -25.7 °C

Max Temp:  1.4 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.19 2014

Min temp: -9.9 °C

Max Temp:  4.3 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.20 2014

Min temp: -14 °C

Max Temp:  1.8 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.21 2014

Min temp: -1.9 °C

Max Temp:  3.4 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.22 2014

Min temp: -3.8 °C

Max Temp:  -0.5 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.23 2014

Min temp: -7.3 °C

Max Temp:  -7 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.24 2014

Min temp: -16.2 °C

Max Temp:  -9.9 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.25 2014

Min temp: -23.5 °C

Max Temp:  -11.3 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.26 2014

Min temp: -23.1 °C

Max Temp:  -9 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.27 2014

Min temp: -23.5 °C

Max Temp:  -11.4 °C

Max Temp.Date:  Feb.28 2014

Min temp: -24 °C

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Skimore is very good at overdramatizing and misinterpreting everything.
drama queen!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

noip
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Skimore is very good at overdramatizing and misinterpreting everything.
says the boy who get's rattled when we discuss extra curricular activities at college...

second, most of us have been skiing more seasons than since you were born
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
drama queen!
haha funy guy, but SnoBoy is clueless. They get some FKNA cold days up there
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Yeah, I know, skiing is a winter sport so it's going to be cold, sometimes brutally so.  Put some extra layers on and toughen up.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Powder bought Eldora, that could be a nice add for Denver residents and East Coasters looking to make a pit stop out west.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
ml242 wrote
Powder bought Eldora, that could be a nice add for Denver residents and East Coasters looking to make a pit stop out west.
I'm hoping they add Eldora as well, but I don't think it will happen.
I think Eldora is close enough to Winter Park that WP would veto Eldora, at least for this year.  Max Pass added Buck Hill recently, but that really doesn't compete with anyone.  

MM
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Milo Maltbie wrote
I think Eldora is close enough to Winter Park that WP would veto Eldora, at least for this year.  Max Pass added Buck Hill recently, but that really doesn't compete with anyone.  

MM
Solitude was added for 2016-17 and Brighton has been in the MAX Pass for a while.  Having another place relatively close by can be a win-win when it comes to attracting travelers who fly for ski vacations.  Then can take a full week ski vacation and not pay for any day tickets.  4-5 days at the primary destination and 1-3 days at the second place that is within easy driving distance.

Who owns Winter Park?  The MAX Pass is a joint venture between Intrawest, Boyne, and Powdr.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Winter Park is Intrawest
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote

MM
Solitude was added for 2016-17 and Brighton has been in the MAX Pass for a while.  Having another place relatively close by can be a win-win when it comes to attracting travelers who fly for ski vacations.  Then can take a full week ski vacation and not pay for any day tickets.  4-5 days at the primary destination and 1-3 days at the second place that is within easy driving distance.

Who owns Winter Park?  The MAX Pass is a joint venture between Intrawest, Boyne, and Powdr.
WP is Intrawest, which is why I think they might blackball Eldora (or any other Powdr resort) this year.  I know Solitude was earlier added this year, but that was before they began selling the passes.  I'm thinking adding a resort requires renegotiating the revenue sharing agreement, and that only happens when there's more revenue to share.  It's too late for that because all the passes are mostly already sold.

Soda Springs is a Powdr property that is not on the MAX Pass, so that supports my theory that some resorts keep competing resorts off the MAX Pass.

I hope I'm wrong about that.  Maybe they think there's a win-win if they can sell more passes by adding Eldora, or maybe they compete better against the other pass deals.  I will be really pleased if they add Eldora.

MM
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Milo Maltbie wrote
WP is Intrawest, which is why I think they might blackball Eldora (or any other Powdr resort) this year.  I know Solitude was earlier added this year, but that was before they began selling the passes.  I'm thinking adding a resort requires renegotiating the revenue sharing agreement, and that only happens when there's more revenue to share.  It's too late for that because all the passes are mostly already sold.

Soda Springs is a Powdr property that is not on the MAX Pass, so that supports my theory that some resorts keep competing resorts off the MAX Pass.

I hope I'm wrong about that.  Maybe they think there's a win-win if they can sell more passes by adding Eldora, or maybe they compete better against the other pass deals.  I will be really pleased if they add Eldora.

MM
Are you saying that you think most people who are going to buy the MAX Pass have already bought it?  Obviously the price is higher now but I would still expect many people to be waiting until the fall before making a final decision about what season pass(es) to get, including a multi-resort one.

I'm more familiar with the Mountain Collective Pass.  But that's a completely different business model involving major destination resorts that are independent corporations.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Starting to take a serious look at getting a Max pass.  My son will likely be racing at a few of these resorts and I'm looking at a Easter break trip to Mt Bachelor.  Throw in some days at Killington and maybe a couple at Tremblant in the spring again and I could see getting 15+ days in on the pass.

If I decide to not teach which I'm 50/50 on right now I could do 25 days easy.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Haven't skied most of those areas - would like to ski Maine - but if you haven't been there, Tremblant is a similar size to Jay.  If you don't speak French, most people speak English anyway.  Once owned by Intrawest, it's set up like a mini Whistler.

The Cdn. dollar is currently selling for about $1.28 USD.  There is sales tax applied to everything (13%).  I mean, everything.

There is no Canadian holiday during Presidents' week, so traffic might be lighter.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
D.B. Cooper wrote
Tremblant is a similar size to Jay.  If you don't speak French, most people speak English anyway.  Once owned by Intrawest, it's set up like a mini Whistler.
Tremblant like twice the size of Jay, but doesn't get as much natural snow.  Also, it is still owned by Intrawest.  That's why it's on the Max Pass.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
Haven't skied most of those areas - would like to ski Maine - but if you haven't been there, Tremblant is a similar size to Jay.  If you don't speak French, most people speak English anyway.  Once owned by Intrawest, it's set up like a mini Whistler.
Huh?

Please explain besides both being in Canada and having a village at the bottom how Tremblant is in any way like Whitstler?
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Max Pass recently added:

Kicking Horse
Fernie
Nakiska
Kimberly

Thinking of maybe doing a week in March with the wife. Either 2-3 days and kicking horse and 3-4 days at fernie or all fernie. For those of you that have been to either or both please weigh in. My wife is a strong intermediate so kicking horse might be a bit above her comfort level. The canadian dollar makes this trip make sense. Some good flight options from albany to calgary for 500ish. Lodging deals are also good at tremblant. Just booked a place for president's week.

As part of this latest add they also have mont saint anne and stoneham in the east and crested butte in the west. Pretty amazing deal if you want to explore some new spots.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Spent 3 days at Kicking Horse this past March.  It is FANTASTIC.  However - while I would do it again in a heartbeat, and add Revelstoke, would not bring wife. She is advanced skier (enjoys and handles all of Gore minus Rumor, and 90% of Whiteface minus glades and slides and Lookout Below) but KH would be too much.  

Kimberly and Fernie (and Red and a couple others) definitely on the radar. Not Whistler as too touristy, but the ones closer Spokane area.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Sweet!  Are all those on Maxx pass this year?  I might do a Quebec city weekend since I got the Maxx pass.

Fernie is great.  I prefer it to the others in BC that where added.  I recall they had plenty of blues on the bottom and awesome bowls up top.  If you go I highly recommend doing a day at Fernie Wilderness Adventures Cat skiing.  I spent a week in Fernie with 5 days cat skiing and nights in their lodge in the backcountry and a couple days at the ski area.  Best skiing of my life.  I still dream of that Powder and this was 13 years ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Been hard to keep up with the MAX Pass for 2016-17.  First added six during the summer, then another six just before the price went up on Oct. 12.  Next price increase in late Nov.  For anyone who would get a season pass at one of the places, doing the add-on seems like a no brainer if you like to explore and can travel for a trip or two.

* added for 2016-17, total at 38 places for 2016-17

ALASKA: *Alyeska

WEST
Washington: Crystal Mountain, The Summit at Snoqualmie
Oregon: Mt. Bachelor
California: Boreal, *Mountain High
Nevada: Lee Canyon

ROCKY MOUNTAINS
Montana: Big Sky
Utah: Brighton, *Solitude
Colorado: Copper, Steamboat, Winter Park, *Crested Butte, *Eldora

MIDWEST
Michigan: Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain
Minnesota: *Buck Hill

EAST
Maine: Sunday River, Sugarloaf
Vermont: Killington, Pico Mountain, Stratton, *Okemo
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain, *Mount Sunapee
Massachusetts: *Wachusett
New Jersey: *Mountain Creek
West Virginia: Snowshoe

CANADA
British Columbia: Cypress Mountain, *Fernie, *Kicking Horse, *Kimberley, *Nakiska
Ontario: Blue Mountain
Quebec: Mont Tremblant, *Mont Saint Anne, *Stoneham
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Okemo and Mt Sunapee also are new eastern additions

Orda should be looking hard at joining this or lose season pass customers