Max Pass - where would you go Xmas & Pres week?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
70 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Max Pass - where would you go Xmas & Pres week?

Danzilla
Jeff got me thinking about getting the max pass for the family for next year and doing a couple Northeast ski weeks (along with a western trip for me). The max pass gets you 5 days at:

Stratton
Killington
Pico
Loon
Sunday River
Sugarloaf
Mt. Tremblant

If you had a week at Christmas/New Years and a week during presidents, which area would you choose for each?

I am thinking the loaf for christmas week and then either tremblant or killington/pico for prez week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Max Pass - where would you go Xmas & Pres week?

ml242
Danzilla wrote
Jeff got me thinking about getting the max pass for the family for next year and doing a couple Northeast ski weeks (along with a western trip for me). The max pass gets you 5 days at:

Stratton
Killington
Pico
Loon
Sunday River
Sugarloaf
Mt. Tremblant

If you had a week at Christmas/New Years and a week during presidents, which area would you choose for each?

I am thinking the loaf for christmas week and then either tremblant or killington/pico for prez week.

What I would do: Because xmas week is too early season in the east to bother with a big and expensive vacation rental, so I say punt. If you can swing it with your family, maybe do PNW for xmas and then Loaf/Tremblant for presidents. Lots of other opportunities to get weekends in with less crowds between MLK and tax day.

Sure, Stratton and K will have trails open but playing pinball with my own body on icy ribbons doesn't do it for me and I'd rather ski Plattekill regardless of what they're serving up (double, triple, both).
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'd pick Tremblant because it's the furthest North and most likely to have decent conditions.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
snoloco wrote
I'd pick Tremblant because it's the furthest North and most likely to have decent conditions.
Maybe a good idea around Pres. Day since that's not a Canadian holiday.  But for Xmas, Tremblant is probably pretty crowded since it's more of a destination resort than any place in Maine.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote

Stratton
Killington
Pico
Loon
Sunday River
Sugarloaf
Mt. Tremblant

Driving from where?

Wonder if the Alba family has skied Pico over the Christmas holidays.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was also looking at Pico on that list.  Ray?

Danzilla your Max Passes would be in addition to ORDA or instead?

One thing is for sure this pass stuff is changing the game. In the end will it grow the industry or just result in more variety  for skiers? Or lower margins? All of the above?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
Harvey wrote
One thing is for sure this pass stuff is changing the game. In the end will it grow the industry or just result in more variety for skiers? Or lower margins? All of the above?
No question that multi-resort passes make it more likely that people would explore beyond their local resort, assuming they have a season pass somewhere in snow country.  Especially if a pass includes locations out west.  My sense is that all the multi-resort offerings are not likely to make people stop buying a season pass as the have in the past.  With the MAX Pass, the $299 add-on might even make someone buy a premium season pass at their "home" mountain instead of a value pass.  For the Mountain Collective destinations, premium season passes include 50% off lift tickets at other MCP ski resorts are a perk.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Drive would be from Saratoga. Passes would be in addition to GORDA passes. We strongly considered getting sugarbush season passes, but decided to hold off for a year or two. The max passes will afford us some flexibility and diversity without completely breaking the bank. I will definitely use some of the western resort tickets. The wife and I may do a trip out there as well, but carting the entire family out west isn't going to happen this year. Its just too expensive and the kids aren't old enough to truly appreciate it.

I am thinking something like this:

- Christmas Break do Sugarloaf/Sunday River. This is a 6 hour trip. The higher latitude at this time of year would seem to favor better snow and the distance means (hopefully) less crowds.
- MLK Weekend do Pico on Saturday and Sunday and Killington Monday. This is a short trip for us (1:45). Pico won't be too crowded even though its a holiday weekend.
- President's week do Tremblant. Its not a holiday up there and I have to think the distance will keep the crowds down. Its 4:15 for us
- April break. Killington/Stratton or Sunday River if there is still snow to be had.

Its possible I would swap out tremblant with a trip to killington/pico for president's week.

Today is the last day of discounted pricing so if you are thinking about getting the pass then go for it.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I would try and hit the load when Bracket Basin in open.  The glades in there are pretty much the best I have skied in the east. I was there for  ray gay fest when the snow was spring conditions.  Hitting them on a powder day would be incredible.    

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Note that Sunday River is very popular with people who live in the Boston area.  I know a few families who have season lease condos at SR.  So would expect SR to be pretty crowded during the Christmas holidays.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Danzilla wrote
Drive would be from Saratoga. Passes would be in addition to GORDA passes. We strongly considered getting sugarbush season passes, but decided to hold off for a year or two. The max passes will afford us some flexibility and diversity without completely breaking the bank. I will definitely use some of the western resort tickets. The wife and I may do a trip out there as well, but carting the entire family out west isn't going to happen this year. Its just too expensive and the kids aren't old enough to truly appreciate it.

I am thinking something like this:

- Christmas Break do Sugarloaf/Sunday River. This is a 6 hour trip. The higher latitude at this time of year would seem to favor better snow and the distance means (hopefully) less crowds.
- MLK Weekend do Pico on Saturday and Sunday and Killington Monday. This is a short trip for us (1:45). Pico won't be too crowded even though its a holiday weekend.
- President's week do Tremblant. Its not a holiday up there and I have to think the distance will keep the crowds down. Its 4:15 for us
- April break. Killington/Stratton or Sunday River if there is still snow to be had.

Its possible I would swap out tremblant with a trip to killington/pico for president's week.

Today is the last day of discounted pricing so if you are thinking about getting the pass then go for it.
Keep in mind your almost guaranteed to have some sub zero temps and boiler plate at Tremblant that time of year. No one goes there for reliable snow unless you're one of those that craves that icy snowmaking groomed experience
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Reliable snow on the ec in December is typically man-made.  Sometimes it's icy, but often times it isn't.  If you want to ski natural snow in December, go out west.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Keep in mind your almost guaranteed to have some sub zero temps and boiler plate at Tremblant that time of year. No one goes there for reliable snow unless you're one of those that craves that icy snowmaking groomed experience
I love icy groomers. Are you saying this about Tremblant specifically in late February or anytime? Would I be better off going there mid April?

Sno - I understand the possibility of not ideal conditions at xmas on the east coast. Funds are a determining factor as I have a large family I would have to put on an airplane and I don't have a private jet. I will likely use some of the western passes at a different point in the season but for xmas week, presidents week and hopefully spring break week (april 14-23), I am trying to figure out the best plan for using my passes in the north east at the resorts in the max pass list.

anyone else pull the trigger on the max pass yesterday?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I was criticizing SkiLess for slamming Tremblant, not you.  

You're not finding any reliable natural snow on the ec during Christmas.  It's all about snowmaking early season and I stand by my previous statement that Tremblant will have the most reliable conditions for Xmas on the ec.  Their policy is to open all lifts by Christmas every year and that's what you want.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
Jan-Feb at Tremblant you're guaranteed sub zero weather and Sno-like surfaces
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
And you've been there how many times?

I've only skied there one weekend.  I'm commenting on the terrain they say they get open every year, not on the snow quality, which is relatively low anywhere on the ec in the early season.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
snoloco wrote
And you've been there how many times?
6 different years in the Jan-Feb time frame and had sub zero temps every time

His last post with itinerary stated Feb for Tremblant. I wouldn't consider that early season
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I thought the title of the thread said Xmas or President's Weekend.  I was saying to go there for Christmas.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Snowbird
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
If you could get beyond your all lifts by Xmas fixation you may realize the discussion progressed beyond that time frame