classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
114 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Midlife Crisis and Being a Skier

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

All so that he can feel comfortable being an asshole to me online because he never had to look me in the eye and say those things to my face.
How is that any different than some of your convo's with  PeeTex??

Remember the time I told you that if I ever talked to any one of my friends the way you talked to him I would expect to get punched? And I will add rightfully so.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote

All so that he can feel comfortable being an asshole to me online because he never had to look me in the eye and say those things to my face.
How is that any different than some of your convo's with  PeeTex??

Remember the time I told you that if I ever talked to any one of my friends the way you talked to him I would expect to get punched? And I will add rightfully so.
I contend that I never said anything to that guy that I wouldn't say to one of my conservative friends that believed such obvious bullshit. As I told you, my friends and I are comfortable giving each other shit. And I think you agreed with that sentiment.

I also offered to meet PeeTex, and he told me to pound rocks. Although, to be fair, I guess I could have paid $75 for the Ididaride and saw him there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
ayup, another fine thread in the shitter.
 I was thinking the same thing.  Gorgo FTW!  
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv,

Look at Cody's skis.  She's shaving snow from both tips cleanly back to the tails.  She's moved her upper body to the inside of the turn, balancing against the outside ski, guiding with the inside ski.  That ain't no dal-garn hockeystop; that's pure carve with a Rooster-Tail (Twin Tips?).  Nice coaching RA.

Ski you on the Hill,  64ER.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Oh shit, he's a Vikings fan, too?

Hey Freeheelwilly, how about if the Saints beat the Vikings Sunday, you have to buy me a beer and talk with me until I finish it.

If the Vikings win, I'll buy you a case of PBR and have HPD or someone at Whiteface deliver it to you to maintain your precious anonymity.
Since we don't know each other how were you going to pull that off?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote
Politics in the OT please
Agree with giving mountainhigh OT posting privileges again. Can't wait to hear him explain HOW fuck this.. and WHY fuck you....

Yeah you should. IMO this place was dying a slow death. It is much more interesting with NJ in it.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

mountainhigh
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I'm sure your convos with camp could be boiled down to "Fuck This"/"Fuck That"/"Fuck You", too. It's the easiest thing in the world to be a critic. Harder to post something worthwhile.
You're "sure", huh?  Good grief, stfu.

I
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Yeah you should. IMO this place was dying a slow death. It is much more interesting with NJ in it.
No shit. I started the "Bring Back NJ" Thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by mountainhigh
mountainhigh wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I'm sure your convos with camp could be boiled down to "Fuck This"/"Fuck That"/"Fuck You", too. It's the easiest thing in the world to be a critic. Harder to post something worthwhile.
You're "sure", huh?  Good grief, stfu.

I
Okay, I'll file this one under "Fuck You", then?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I don't know, man, ask the nearest mountain host where I can find you? See if I can find SJ and ask him? I think I know your first name. Shouldn't be that hard to find you. I'm an industrious guy.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
sig wrote
 being a 50 something you wonder how many powder days you have left. its getting harder and harder to put back to back days together.
Last year my mother got back on skis for a day.  She was 76 and had taken a 25 year hiatus.  No Mikaela Shiffrin that day, for sure, but there's more than you may think.
well i'm a rock so no doubt i will be skiing into my 70's . just doubt it will be much more then ripping down showcase. at that age would be smart to stay close to a bathroom.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
sig wrote
  at that age would be smart to stay close to a bathroom.
That was good ^^^ LOL
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I don't know, man, ask the nearest mountain host where I can find you? See if I can find SJ and ask him? I think I know your first name. Shouldn't be that hard to find you. I'm an industrious guy.

Nice
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Getting back on topic, this is the kind of thing I was talking about. Here's a Powder article on ski bums at various stages of bumdom:

https://www.powder.com/the-local/?sm_id=organic_fb_social_PWDR_180108_sf178643135#sf178643135

It contains this profile:

The Wild One: Bill Bowen inspires through his youthful spirit

A week after his 61st birthday, in February 2014, Bill Bowen skinned up 4,100 vertical feet to the top of the Jackson Hole Tram and leaped into S&S Couloir. On his feet were a pair of 175cm skis he built himself—with help from the local boutique brand Igneous—out of old-growth Douglas fir he scavanged from the forest. The skis were mounted with lightweight Dynafit bindings, and his boots were backcountry-specific Dynafit TLT6s, hardly the tools recommended for such a rowdy line.

The bigger and more menacing neighbor of Corbet’s Couloir, S&S requires a mandatory 15- to 30-foot drop and mid-air right turn to avoid smacking a sheer rock wall on the left. It is the most committed line on the mountain and has a way of giving all skiers, no matter how good, a serious reality check. Wearing his goggles strapped around the outside of his hood (his trademark style), Bowen stuck it as he always does and skied away in style. It was tradition, after all, a ritual he has performed on his birthday every year for the last 25 years.

“I’ve known Bill since the 1970s,” says Wade McKoy, the longtime Jackson photographer. “I remember he always loved dropping into S&S. He still does, which seems amazing considering he’s kinda old. It’s inspiring for me, also kinda old. I don’t think I’ll be skiing S&S ever again and haven’t since I was a 20-something. But Bill Bowen does inspire me—to see someone that still loves skiing as much as he does after all these years.”

It would be easy to say the S&S ritual is how Bowen earned the nickname “Wild Bill.” But there are other reasons, such as his ability to persuade his much younger female ski partners to get naked. Or that he’ll regularly wear Carhartt and denim jackets while skiing, an ode to his blue-collar roots. In the summers, he explores caves, the deeper and darker the better. He says it gets him closer to the powerful energy he feels emanating from the mountains. That energy, he says, is what compels him to do the things he does. In order to be first on the hill on 4/20 (an annual gathering atop the Jackson tram, a few weeks after the resort’s closing) he skinned up to the cave inside Corbet’s Couloir to spend the night, solo.

At 6-feet-2 and about 155 pounds, with shoulder-length brown hair framing his long weathered face, Wild Bill is hard to miss. He’s also easy to misread. He’s a ski bum but not a derelict. He’s worked hard for decades as a skilled wood-worker and home builder. As a longtime Jackson local, Bowen represents the old-school ski bum culture that will never be duplicated.

Today’s rookies enter a different world than when Bowen started skiing, one driven by quarterly returns, uphill capacity, and over-sharing on social media. Even at a throwback like Alta. Which is where Wild Bill himself started as a ski bum, his first full season in the early ’70s . He had been going through a tough time in high school in his home state of Pennsylvania. “Spent some time in the nut house,” he says. “I ended up quitting high school and moving to Alta. I had my draft card, but the army wouldn’t take me because they thought I was crazy.”

That was a good thing, he says, because he probably wouldn’t have made it out alive. Instead, he found skiing. “Some friends of mine took me up on High Rustler, and that was the first time I had ever seen slow-motion turns,” he says. “It was that moment.”

In 1979, he landed in Jackson, got married, and moved over Teton Pass to Victor, Idaho. When his marriage fell apart, he came back to Jackson and is currently renting a room in Wilson, at the base of the pass. During the summers, he works as a carpenter to pay for the winter.

For a guy who’s seen it all over 40-plus seasons, he defines success not by money or possessions, but by how content he is when he goes home at night. More often than not, it depends on whether he went skiing that day, which is just about every day in the winter. “Being happy is the greatest thing ever found in this galaxy,” he says. “Maybe not the universe, but definitely this galaxy.”
I don't think that guy should be scorned as a Peter Pan who needs to grow up. I think should be celebrated for making it work for as long as he has.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Dude, I really think you must have read a different article than I did because that’s not what I got from it at all.

It wasn’t scorning anyone or saying that everyone needs to grow up. This guy in particular was lost and everything he used to feel was important to him all of a sudden wasn’t anymore. That’s a very typical scenario for middle aged men.  

Wild Bill seems like a cool guy, I’ve apred with him once and I think it’s great he found something that works for him.

You can call it what you want but you’re not fooling anyone. Your reactions wreak of an insecure guy that’s not so sure about his own choices. That’s ok, everyone probably goes through that at some point.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
raisingarizona wrote
Dude, I really think you must have read a different article than I did because that’s not what I got from it at all.

It wasn’t scorning anyone or saying that everyone needs to grow up. This guy in particular was lost and everything he used to feel was important to him all of a sudden wasn’t anymore. That’s a very typical scenario for middle aged men.  
The "guy" was fictitious, an amalgam of a bunch of different dudes the author met.

This is the headline and subhead of the article you posted:

When Peter Pan Enters Middle Age
PART 1 IN THERAPIST TIMOTHY TATE'S EXPLORATION OF WHAT HAPPENS WHEN MEN IN MOUNTAIN TOWNS HAVE TO STOP PLAYING AND GROW UP
Pretty sure I have the theme of the article pegged.

And again, my choices might not work for you or anyone else. My brother lives at the base of Squaw Valley and works at High Camp. Those were  his choices. I'm doing what's best for me, and what fits my values. Any doubts I have about my choices are part of an ongoing self reflection that, you and the article agree, everyone should do at certain points to make sure they are on the path they want to be on.

We've all had times when a some kind of turning point has happened, when we have to quit a job or a relationship or an activity we used to do. It is what it is, man. For most people it doesn't involve a DWI or a Bad injury or a slide in Telluride. For most people, it's more of an "I just don't do that thing anymore".

I can't answer this question:
 I know that my story is a lot different than most of you guys on here but I'm curious how the transition into becoming middle aged had affected you?
because I don't really do much different. I don't do 720s anymore and I drink less at Apres (mostly to get home to the dog). But that's not a great story, so I guess I don't have much to contribute to the thread (unless NJ wants to come back and rile me up again).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I avoid (deny, ignore, whatev) my midlife crisis by skiing on my birthday.

I assumed the author wrote an article about the mountain man because there would be a lot flatlanders who have thought "f" it, I want to do that! But maybe never did it.  It seems like people like that (me!) would be interested to read about it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Peripherally related article. Pretty good

https://www.outsideonline.com/2272171/great-dirtbag-pissing-contest
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I assumed the author wrote an article about the mountain man because there would be a lot flatlanders who have thought "f" it, I want to do that! But maybe never did it.  It seems like people like that (me!) would be interested to read about it.
I think it was an eccentric old curmudgeon with a book in the works about "Mountain Man Psychology". Either that or he's trying to tell his kids to grow up and get real jobs through his articles.

I find that a lot of people's writings are barely disguised stories about the author's own struggles. I think a lot of those "Millennials are killing skiing/golf/fishing/tennis" articles might be from frustrated parents who can't get their kids to hang out with them anymore.

I think it was interesting, I just think he neglected to cover the full spectrum (people outside of Mountain Towns that are dealing with the same issues, people in mountain towns who are doing fine). That was my major beef. I'm not offended by it. I just feel like there were places he could have gone with it, but didn't.

Plus I like more statistics in my articles. How many people move out of ski towns every year? What are their ages? How many people rent vs. how many people own? What percentage of workers has health insurance? How many DWIs per capita do mountain towns have compared with other towns? This kind of data would help bolster the author's arguments.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Right.

The idea that I have to justify my choices to RA is ridiculous. Him acting as if I am "insecure" or "unsure of my choices" when I am merely questioning the "Peter Pans need to grow up" message of the article is weird.

Everyone makes their own choices. Let people live their lives.