classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
113 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mountain Creek joins the Max Pass

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
Man, I really hope I don't sound like a pompous chest pounding a-hole, if I do I'm sure Snowballs will call me out on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
raisingarizona wrote
Man, I really hope I don't sound like a pompous chest pounding a-hole, if I do I'm sure Snowballme will call me out on it.
Geeze, all this angling.... you got a fishing license ?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

I think with this sort of mentality and style Stowe/Smuggs is the best ski area in the east.
It certainly is imo.
raisingarizona wrote

It sounds rad to me. I was just saying that lapping all of that stuff and riding both Stowe and Smuggs on the same day doesn't seem far fetched at all. I've often thought that if I lived there I would want dual citizenship just so I could jump back and forth. How long is the walk from the top of the smaller mountain on the Stowe side to Sterling? It looks like a pretty quick and easy push and pole or skin but it's hard saying since I've never done it.

In the 80's in was widely known and popular for locals to ski over for a visit from Smuggs to Stowe or visa versa. In fact sometimes it would be groomed. We knew most of the lifties, and in the event you didn't, the green bud pass was always in play. It's cake getting back and forth. There's a short skate across Sterling Pond (Smuggs to Stowe) but that was always a great place to stop for a beer break. The ski from Stowe to Smuggs is even easier as it's a very short hike (if at all) to get to the down. The last time I didi it was in 2000. We were there just a couple of years ago but sadly there wasn't the snow to make the trip. Then the Birthday Bowls (Smuggs side of the Notch) was where it was really at. We would find lap after lap of untracked all day. Those trees would dump you out right in the Notch, ski back to the upper parking lot to the Sterling lift and repeat. Dang, I want to go back there.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
raisingarizona wrote

I think with this sort of mentality and style Stowe/Smuggs is the best ski area in the east.
It certainly is imo.
raisingarizona wrote

It sounds rad to me. I was just saying that lapping all of that stuff and riding both Stowe and Smuggs on the same day doesn't seem far fetched at all. I've often thought that if I lived there I would want dual citizenship just so I could jump back and forth. How long is the walk from the top of the smaller mountain on the Stowe side to Sterling? It looks like a pretty quick and easy push and pole or skin but it's hard saying since I've never done it.

In the 80's in was widely known and popular for locals to ski over for a visit from Smuggs to Stowe or visa versa. In fact sometimes it would be groomed. We knew most of the lifties, and in the event you didn't, the green bud pass was always in play. It's cake getting back and forth. There's a short skate across Sterling Pond (Smuggs to Stowe) but that was always a great place to stop for a beer break. The ski from Stowe to Smuggs is even easier as it's a very short hike (if at all) to get to the down. The last time I didi it was in 2000. We were there just a couple of years ago but sadly there wasn't the snow to make the trip. Then the Birthday Bowls (Smuggs side of the Notch) was where it was really at. We would find lap after lap of untracked all day. Those trees would dump you out right in the Notch, ski back to the upper parking lot to the Sterling lift and repeat. Dang, I want to go back there.
There is a lot of really nice terrain in those woods. But it's just not the same. Go to Alta, take a ride up to the top of Collins, out the High T and down through the trees in waist deep blower or if you prefer hang a left before piss pass and drop down into the chutes or a short hike up to gun sight or Eddies. Smuggs - as good as it is has nothing on this.
I have only been to Vail a few times, the amount of great terrain is gynourmous. That's the difference. And if your testosterone is telling you that you need to risk life and limb, at most of those places there are infinite possibilities.  
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
So campgottagopee, you haven't skied out west? Ever?

If so and you love the sport which I'm assuming you do you need to. It's worth it.

I love the east but the terrain is much bigger and flowier out here. Sure you can find some good quality lines in the east but a lot of it's short and has close outs. Letting em run in deep untracked snow for 2k+ of vert in more wide open terrain is the jam. I have heard eastern skiers proudly talk about how such and such glade has the tightest trees and I can't figure out why that's a good thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Have you skied Jackson Hole Peetex?

It really is the best powder skiing mountain in the country even if it only lasts a few hours in the inbounds these days. 20 years ago though, man it was good.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
raisingarizona wrote

It really is the best powder skiing mountain in the country even if it only lasts a few hours in the inbounds these days. 20 years ago though, man it was good.
No - never been there, Targhee - yes, but not Jackson.
I have never found anyplace that matches Snowbird or Alta. Snowbird has powder stashes that will last for days, Alta - not so much anymore.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PeeTex wrote
raisingarizona wrote

No - never been there, Targhee - yes, but not Jackson.
I have never found anyplace that matches Snowbird or Alta. Snowbird has powder stashes that will last for days, Alta - not so much anymore.
I love Snowbird, much more than Alta. I have always felt annoyed at Alta's terrain closures. The Castle or Baldy chutes for instance are sometimes is closed for the majority of the season. When I moved to Jackson 100% of the terrain was open by 9AM.

Snowbird gets opened up in successions too but I like the mountain a lot more, especially with the lack of traversing compared to Alta.

The fall lines at Jackson are ridiculous. It's hard to beat an untouched Hoback run, an Endless Gully, or lap on Four Pines.With the side country it makes Snowbird feel small.

Unfortunately the secret is out and the place gets crowded now.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hey, none of these places are on the max pass, so get back on topic.  It's amazing the double standard that I have people asking Harvey to ban me if I so much as mention Mountain Creek in any thread that I didn't start.  Even if it's related to the topic.

Western mountains that Mountain Creek passholders will have access to include and aren't limited to Copper, Steamboat, Winter Park, and Big Sky.  All great mountains, and keeps people away from Vail.  MC passholders will also be able to ski at Stratton, Killington, Pico, Tremblant, Sugarloaf, Loon, and Sunday River, which are all within driving distance in the east for most MC passholders.  Previously the NY metro area was completely left out of this.  This is huge for the 10+ million people in the region (much smaller population that skis).

It's a shame that MC didn't have this last year because it would've saved a lot of money over the course of the season.  I skied at Steamboat, Killington, and Tremblant.  Killington 7 times, Steamboat 6, and Tremblant 2.  Since the Max Pass only gives you 5 days at each place, I'd have gotten 12 days for free, and the others would've been cheap.  That would be the night skiing at Steamboat, and the first and last Killington days.  

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
Hey, none of these places are on the max pass, so get back on topic.  It's amazing the double standard that I have people asking Harvey to ban me if I so much as mention Mountain Creek in any thread that I didn't start.  Even if it's related to the topic.

Western mountains that Mountain Creek passholders will have access to include and aren't limited to Copper, Steamboat, Winter Park, and Big Sky.  All great mountains, and keeps people away from Vail.  MC passholders will also be able to ski at Stratton, Killington, Pico, Tremblant, Sugarloaf, Loon, and Sunday River, which are all within driving distance in the east for most MC passholders.  Previously the NY metro area was completely left out of this.  This is huge for the 10+ million people in the region (much smaller population that skis).

It's a shame that MC didn't have this last year because it would've saved a lot of money over the course of the season.  I skied at Steamboat, Killington, and Tremblant.  Killington 7 times, Steamboat 6, and Tremblant 2.  Since the Max Pass only gives you 5 days at each place, I'd have gotten 12 days for free, and the others would've been cheap.  That would be the night skiing at Steamboat, and the first and last Killington days.
None of these mountains (with the exception of Big Sky) are any where close to the same league as Snowbird, Alta or Jackson Hole.

Mellow out kid. We don't HAVE to stay on topic. Are you sure someone tried to ban you? That sounds a bit extreme.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This post was updated on .
Alta rules. The long, continuous steep shots off the backside are just zen for me. I can just lap 3rds and then cut into Suzie's trees or Eagle's Nest all day long...and it doesn't require hiking. But then there's the hiking...Eddies and Gunsight like PeeTex mentioned, but also the High Notch, The Castle (It usually opens within a couple of days after a storm, RA). Baldy Chutes...not so much until later in the season.

Then there is thr Cirque, GadII, hiking out along the Bookends, etc at thr 'Bird....LCC is hard to match in so many ways....terrain, snow, access.

KT22 at Squaw had some nice continuous steeps and was easy ina and out of Reno. And, I still really need to ski Jackson Hole.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It's a classic and one of the top ten ski areas in the lower 48 without a doubt. Still, a full day of skiing there includes a whole lot of traversing, not that thats bad, it's part of Alta's charm and preserves the snow too but if I'm driving 8 hours to go skiing in LCC I'll take the Bird over Alta every time.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
raisingarizona wrote
Are you sure someone tried to ban you? That sounds a bit extreme.
I'm not telling any lies.  People have emailed Harvey and asked him to ban me.  Yet these same people have completely wrecked some of my threads.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
OCD much?

I guess I don't understand how a thread is ruined because it takes on new form or changes direction a little. I think that makes things interesting.

As far as that banning thing goes....that's weird. That's one move I can promise I wouldn't ever pull.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I like both Alta and Snowbird but the amount of traversing to get to the goods at Alta can be a pain and you lose vert with the traversing.  I'm sure Alta rewards local knowledge better than the Brid.  Stuff at the Bird is much more accessible.

Sno - I get your point to some extent - I have had many a good thread destroyed by some tangent for some reason many times involving drugs probably because I'm as about anti drug as you can get so it annoys me.

Other times when the thread drifts but stay on the topic of skiing I go with the flow.  I advise you to do the same.  Remember this is like a tavern where people hang out have a beer and talk skiing.  You are not old enough to understand that culture but believe me conservation goes all over the place.  Go with the flow unless something really gets hijacked to some OT yougee subjects.

To attempt to steer back somewhat to Sno's topic Solitude and Brighton are both on the Max pass.  I agree with him that a Maxx pass is a great thing for the NJ ski market.  Skip a MC pass and just ski all over the place.  If I lived down there that is what I would do.  I'm going to order a Max pass tonight as I already have about 15+ days lined up I am planning to ski at Max resorts - 5 at Mt Bachelor, 4 at Sunday River, 3-4 days at Killington / Pico and maybe a day or two at Tremblant.  If I get lucky and we have a sales meeting somewhere in the west during the winter I could score some more days in CO or Utah.

To link back to the Utah discussion I love Solitude when it has good snow - lots of cool nooks and crannies to find fun stashes. Not that busy even on a weekend compared to LCC.  I have parked in the first row by the lodge at 8:30 on Sunday more than once.  I have not skied Brighton how does it compare to its neighbor?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
I agree with him that a Maxx pass is a great thing for the NJ ski market.  Skip a MC pass and just ski all over the place.
The difference is that Mountain Creek isn't really a full member of the Max Pass.  If you buy a Max Pass individually, you don't get 5 days at MC.  However, if you buy an MC Pass, you can get the max pass for the add on rate of $300 instead of the individual rate of $650.

An MC Pass is about 450 for an adult and the max pass ad on would set you back an additional 300.  That's $750 for unlimited skiing close by, plus you can do road trips to any of the bigger eastern mountains, plus 2 or more weeks out west for a price not much more than buying the Max Pass separately, and about what would be spent for a week of lift tickets out west.

I don'y plan on getting an MC pass this year because I won't be living anywhere near there when I'm at college.  When I'm at home, I'll probably just go to Belleayre on the Ski3 pass, or get a discounted midweek ticket to Hunter or Windham.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Let's get this thing back off topic. Mountain Creek sucks ass any_A_ways

raisingarizona wrote

If so and you love the sport which I'm assuming you do you need to. It's worth it.
No, I've never skied out west before in my life. I've been out there (Denver) once for a wedding, totally loved the place too. Not so much Denver, but the old gold mining town the wedding was held in was killer -- completely dug the vibe, the people, bars etc.

Love skiing??? I'd say I used to love skiing but not so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like it, and like it alot, but anymore if it snows I'll go skiing, if it doesn't snow my day isn't ruined and I have plenty to keep busy. Our Sunday early AM crew we have at little ole Greek Peak is wicked fun, that can't be matched anywhere. So I ski because it's fun now and not because I love it like I used to. Not sure if that makes sense or not. What I do love is simply being outdoors  and especially deer hunting. There's nothing like it and it's hard to describe. I'm so past skiing in shitty weather, won't do it anymore simply because it's no fun for me. I used to be that guy who would call my buddy's wuss-bags for not wanting to go skiing in the rain or skiing when is was brutally cold out. You know the kind of cold where your dog doesn't even want to go outside --- that's cold shit right there. Anyway, I say that because I'll hunt in poring down rain and brutally cold. I'll stay out in it for as long as I can humanly take it because that monster buck of a lifetime is right around the corner, over the next log, just thru this little swamp,  just 5 more minutes in the stand and he'll be here. In other words everyday hunting deer is endless 2K vert of POW for me.

Skiing out west is a bucket list kind of thing for me, right underneath an Elk hunt. I'd go out there to kill a big Bull Elk before skiing. If I could combine and Elk hunt with a ski trip now there's something to get jazzed about
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
campgottagopee wrote
What I do love is simply being outdoors  and especially deer hunting. There's nothing like it and it's hard to describe. I'm so past skiing in shitty weather, won't do it anymore simply because it's no fun for me. I used to be that guy who would call my buddy's wuss-bags for not wanting to go skiing in the rain or skiing when is was brutally cold out. You know the kind of cold where your dog doesn't even want to go outside --- that's cold shit right there. Anyway, I say that because I'll hunt in poring down rain and brutally cold. I'll stay out in it for as long as I can humanly take it because that monster buck of a lifetime is right around the corner, over the next log, just thru this little swamp,  just 5 more minutes in the stand and he'll be here. In other words everyday hunting deer is endless 2K vert of POW for me.
Thank you for keeping our roads safe.  Every deer you get is one less dead carcass on the side of the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Let's get this thing back off topic. Mountain Creek sucks ass any_A_ways

raisingarizona wrote

No, I've never skied out west before in my life. I've been out there (Denver) once for a wedding, totally loved the place too. Not so much Denver, but the old gold mining town the wedding was held in was killer -- completely dug the vibe, the people, bars etc.

Love skiing??? I'd say I used to love skiing but not so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like it, and like it alot, but anymore if it snows I'll go skiing, if it doesn't snow my day isn't ruined and I have plenty to keep busy. Our Sunday early AM crew we have at little ole Greek Peak is wicked fun, that can't be matched anywhere. So I ski because it's fun now and not because I love it like I used to. Not sure if that makes sense or not. What I do love is simply being outdoors  and especially deer hunting. There's nothing like it and it's hard to describe. I'm so past skiing in shitty weather, won't do it anymore simply because it's no fun for me. I used to be that guy who would call my buddy's wuss-bags for not wanting to go skiing in the rain or skiing when is was brutally cold out. You know the kind of cold where your dog doesn't even want to go outside --- that's cold shit right there. Anyway, I say that because I'll hunt in poring down rain and brutally cold. I'll stay out in it for as long as I can humanly take it because that monster buck of a lifetime is right around the corner, over the next log, just thru this little swamp,  just 5 more minutes in the stand and he'll be here. In other words everyday hunting deer is endless 2K vert of POW for me.

Skiing out west is a bucket list kind of thing for me, right underneath an Elk hunt. I'd go out there to kill a big Bull Elk before skiing. If I could combine and Elk hunt with a ski trip now there's something to get jazzed about

I totally understand...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Eldora was recently added to the Max Pass.  That's the closest area to my son's house.  
I wish they had done that before I bought my Gore pass.

"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi