Mt Bohemia $99 season

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mt Bohemia $99 season

Mi Skier
I know it's not the northeast, but Mt Bohemia  has a $99 season pass that gives you free days at 8 northeast ski areas. It doesn't say if you would need to use your pass at Mt Bohemia in order to get the benefits of the other ski areas. For $99 if you ski at the places listed it would be a great deal.

http://www.mtbohemia.com/season-passes/
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mt Bohemia $99 season

marznc
Are there 3 reciprocal days for people who buy a season pass from the places in the northeast?  Noticed Plattekill is on the list, along with Magic.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
This is part of the Freedom Pass. I am not sure how it works from other resorts. Just seemed like a good deal and if you can get the pass by mail from Mt Bohemia that it would be a great deal for people who live in the Northeast
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Mi Skier wrote
This is part of the Freedom Pass. I am not sure how it works from other resorts. Just seemed like a good deal and if you can get the pass by mail from Mt Bohemia that it would be a great deal for people who live in the Northeast
Ah, now I remember reading something in September about the Freedom Pass expanding.  Seems to be the original northeast Freedom Pass combined with AZ/NM Powder Pass plus a few others such as Bohemia, Plattekill, Cooper (CO), Eaglecrest (AK).

Same idea as the Powder Alliance and MAX Pass.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Mi Skier
It looks like the pass is available for purchase and that it will work for Plattekill and Magic, among other East Coast mountains.

I've been thinking about buying one but am having second thoughts. I'm sure Platty and Magic did not anticipate that Mt. Bohemia would sell season passes for so little. They're going to take a financial hit on this, and I hate to do that to smaller mountains that don't have much of a profit margin (or in Magic's case, probably no profit margin this year).

Definitely an ethical quandary for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
moguljunkie... you'd buy those tickets regardless?  Then it does hurt.  Be interesting to hear from Laz on this. I'm sure he'd appreciate your post above.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
I would be buying those tickets. I'm going to pass on the pass. These mountains need my business.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
You can buy the pass guilt free if you buy breakfast & lunch and maybe an appetizer and beer on mountain.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Why would Plattekill and Magic get involved with a season-pass deal that has such a potential downside?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I thought about this for 1 sec and just couldn't do it. After last year's winter, do the right thing and buck up.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Isn't it just 3 days of skiin? I'm sure Platty and the other mountains on the Freedom Pass are making something for being part of it.  Plus, it gives them exposure where they may not have. Can you beat the system...? Sure, if you try hard enough you can beat anything. I mean, Trump won the election.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
I could take the position that the mountains that choose to participate in the Freedom Pass should have done their due diligence and found out that Mt. Bohemia charged $99 for their season pass last year as well. Also, being able to offer the Freedom Pass in theory should have helped Plattekill sell more passes. But after Hunter's bargain basement pass prices last spring, that's probably not the case.

I'm going to stick with other discount ticket opportunities that benefit Plattekill and Magic more directly, even if it costs me more.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Marcski
This isn't the one I thought it was. Marc ski is right. Only 3 free days.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
In reply to this post by moguljunkie
Mountain Sports Club is offering 2 Plattekill tickets for $60 with a premium membership (https://www.mountainsportsclub.com/register.cfm). I bought one membership for my wife and one for myself. Four tickets for $120 with I'm sure more of it going to Plattekill than the Freedom Pass works out well for the mountain and pretty comparably for me to the Mt. Bohemia pass, since I'll likely only get up to Magic once.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
moguljunkie wrote
Mountain Sports Club is offering 2 Plattekill tickets for $60 with a premium membership (https://www.mountainsportsclub.com/register.cfm). I bought one membership for my wife and one for myself. Four tickets for $120 with I'm sure more of it going to Plattekill than the Freedom Pass works out well for the mountain and pretty comparably for me to the Mt. Bohemia pass, since I'll likely only get up to Magic once.
You really took a big step with your ethical quandary - simple math says you are spending $12.50 for each ticket you bought at Plattekill. I am sure Laz can breathe easy now.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by moguljunkie
moguljunkie wrote
But after Hunter's bargain basement pass prices last spring, that's probably not the case.
I don't know.  Hunter also did away with their Big Lift Card deal, which turned some people away.  JasonWx used to buy one and split his time between Plattekill and Hunter, but he says he's going full on Plattekill this year because he doesn't want to front them 500+ dollars.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
 simple math says you are spending $12.50 for each ticket you bought at Plattekill.
$120 divided by 4 = $12.50?

Obviously, my concern all along wasn't the impact that I alone would have on Plattekill's bottom line. And probably only a handful of people will take advantage of the Freedom Pass, so Plattekill won't be hurt significantly by that either. But if they're hurt a little by one thing and a little by something else, it all adds up.

There are a lot of times in life where we can say our individual actions aren't significant enough to make a difference. But if no one does anything, nothing gets better. I'm just going to keep fighting the good fight, regardless of the scale of the impact of my actions.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
moguljunkie wrote
x10003q wrote
 simple math says you are spending $12.50 for each ticket you bought at Plattekill.
$120 divided by 4 = $12.50?

Obviously, my concern all along wasn't the impact that I alone would have on Plattekill's bottom line. And probably only a handful of people will take advantage of the Freedom Pass, so Plattekill won't be hurt significantly by that either. But if they're hurt a little by one thing and a little by something else, it all adds up.

There are a lot of times in life where we can say our individual actions aren't significant enough to make a difference. But if no one does anything, nothing gets better. I'm just going to keep fighting the good fight, regardless of the scale of the impact of my actions.
The Mountain Sports Club 1 year membership is discounted to $35. So $60 (membership + 2 tickets) - $35 (membership fee) = $25 for 2 Plattekill tickets.

So yes, $12.50 per daily ticket.

If we assume that a Bohemia pass holder skis the max 3 days at Plattekill and the online, single day, prepurchase lift ticket  price is $50, then Plattekill is out $150. That is exactly what you are costing Plattekill by your purchase of 4 tickets. So much for fighting the good fight.

If the Bohemia pass holder only uses the pass 1 or 2 days, you are costing Plattekill more than the Bohemia pass holder. Also, Plattekill might derive some monetary benefit from membership in the Freedom Pass, so your purchase from the mountain Sports Club could be costing Plattekill even more money.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Are you assuming Plattekill only get $25 of the $60 I paid for the premium membership? I would think they get more. My completely unscientific guess is Plattekill gets $20 per ticket for a total of $40 out of the $60 I paid.

And from the Freedom Pass, I'm guessing it's a much smaller amount, since one of the main reasons for a ski area to participate with the Freedom Pass is to sell more of its own season passes. I'll guess Plattekill and Magic actually get $10 per ticket, but I'll use $15 in my numbers below just to be generous.

I can't worry about how others would use their Freedom Pass. But however I get my tickets, I will certainly be skiing four times this year at Plattekill and probably once at Magic.

With the Mountain Sports Club tickets, based on my guesses, Plattekill gets $80 from me for four visits. I'll likely find a discount Magic ticket that I will guess will give Magic about $30. So, ski areas get a total of $110 with this option.

With the Freedom Pass, if my guess is close, Plattekill might have gotten $45 from me for 3 days of skiing plus I would buy the Mountain Sports Club pass to get additional days of skiing there. So, four days of skiing (not including the second MSC ticket) would give Plattekill $65. And Magic would have gotten $15. So, ski areas get a total of $80 with this option.

Not much of a difference, but $110 > $80 (and I think the $80 guess is high). Again, it's a matter of principle for me. I don't think Laszlo (or Magic) anticipated another Freedom Pass participant charging such a low season pass price. And I know Laszlo cares about the amount of money he gets from discount tickets, since he and I communicated via email a few years ago about the practice of finding someone to share a 2-for-1 ticket in the Plattekill parking lot (he doesn't like it).