Murder by Cop

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Murder by Cop

campgottagopee
I brought that up because part of me would like to think that people are trying to do better buy each other. The media continues to beat a dead horse imo. We know there's an issue so let's work together so we can all be better people. I think the link I put up yesterday regarding the BBQ with cops and BLM protesters is a sign of that.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
Camp I agree with you Stuff like the barbecue and  other attempts to bring people together need to continue and not end once the attention of the nation moves on to something else.  This bad stuff isn't a new phenomena  -it's been going on for a very long time - it's just that nobody had to notice before it and were allowed to dismiss allegations as merely allegations by "trouble makers" because there were no cameras in cop cars or everywhere in people's phones.  It's a new day- and I think it's a good day now that most everyone is accountable for their actions.  It may be uncomfortable to deal with the idea that not all the guys in white hats are good -but now there is more chance that the bad ones will now be held accountable.  It's a good thing that now a days people who normally wouldn't have a look into what others face on a regular basis have to see it and deal with it - it's the ultimate "naked lunch" -
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yes these new found strategies to build community / police. Relations must be sustained not window dressing IF change is to occur . Both sides need to thouroughly understand The WIIFM Theory.  ( What's In It For Me ) .

IF We can get over that hurdle , spectacular change is at least POSSIBLE . But that requires COMMITTMENT to the effort and th willingness to work thru the process.and it takes TIME .

What is the alternative people?? Do we really want more of this To keep poisoning the well ??
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
In reply to this post by JohnIrvingwrestles
As far as the beating a dead horse thing- for anyone who lives with this on a daily basis and doesn't have the convenience to turn it on or turn it off this isn't beating a dead horse.  it's the exasperation and emotional relief that finally the little daily injustices (and sometime severe injustices) that are part of their regular life are getting the attention and acknowledgement they deserve.  They don't have the luxury of thinking of it as a worn out news story.  For some it's that "naked lunch" (a frozen moment when everyone sees what is on the end of every fork) for others it's the daily reality that they face.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yeah, I was afraid that would come off as a little insensitive. No my intent. I can't find it now but yesterday I read an article regarding how the majority, if not all, cops that have gone to trial for abuse have gotten off. That didn't sit all that well with me. Because as you say not all dudes in white hats are good. I think the article was from the NYT and relatively recent.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
I don't find you insensitive at all Camp - you posses the ability to listen to every side and attempt to empathize -which is better than the majority of folks (myself included sometimes).
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
There is something so much more palatable to disagreeing when both people can listen to each other and make an effort to see each others perspective instead of trying to just prove each other wrong.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by JohnIrvingwrestles
I am certain beyond any doubt that CAMPER is our kinda peeps , John Boy. !!!

He is good dude , honest , straight up , no pretenses and patient way beyond anything i am capable of and has a fn wicked sense of humor . We BOTH would enjoy him being around and knockin down some brews n brats .

Hell if i ever get back up on my boards ( right now lookin like a long shot ) , it damn well may be worth a trip to the Peak to meet up . Never ski'd  the Peak , or mebbe we can do e WF thing . i know  it ur fav John and THEN mebbe i could see the FOOZY match o the century  bwaa hahaha
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Right on Warp we can smell our own

Our crew has been talking of a Gore trip this winter --- i'll holler at you when we get closer, would be fun as hell to get together for some beers

maybe  the azzclowns would even  show up --- north crick has to have a fooz table somewhere
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This thread is over a year old. Obviously police brutality is out in the open more now than ever before. Have any of you noticed changes within your local police departments in an attempt to curb police brutality??

Here are a couple of articles from our local police dept --- they truly are trying to make a difference here in CNY

https://cortlandvoice.com/2017/10/04/cortland-area-police-agencies-holding-coffee-cop-events/

http://cortlandstandard.net/2017/08/29/officer-gets-main-street-office/
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Both activites are prime examples of good police community relations . We here had a coffe with the cops program , it was overflowing with folks and extended beyond the alotted  time .

Th downtown  office thing is a good thing too , our other great idea was to assign two bike patrol cops in all our waterfront parks and main st areas during the summer and early fall.