Murder by Cop

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Murder by Cop

raisingarizona
Cop murders black man in front of his girlfriend and daughter.

Black people don't live in the same America as white people do. :(

If you click on the highlighted print in the article you can see the video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/falcon-heights-shooting_us_577dd795e4b0c590f7e8058f
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Murder by Cop

ScottyJack
Yo bro,

You should focus on studying.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
One thing I appreciate in these latest incidents is that people that are more Libertarian minded are publicly stating that black people are still far away from equal rights in this country. The Republicans seem to be saying "Sure, you can have a gun, but you'll probably get killed because stand your ground, racial profiling, yada yada yada". Libertarians (like the folks at Reason.com) are calling these crimes what they are: assaults on the life and liberties of Americans.

If there is a good thing about Trump, it's that he's laying bare the difference between that attitude and the attitude of people who are digging into arrest records, blaming victims, and trying to say that these victims of police violence were "no angels", the way they did with Michael Brown.

Get your racism out, Trump voters. Soon, you're going to have to start treating people of every color and ethnicity the same: as people.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
I have to break it up or I go insane!

I had an exam and a practical on Tuesday and Monday and today we are going to have a quiz and another exam on Monday. 17 or 18 chapters of Anatomy and physiology in 8 weeks is no fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
raisingarizona wrote
I have to break it up or I go insane!

I had an exam and a practical on Tuesday and Monday and today we are going to have a quiz and another exam on Monday. 17 or 18 chapters of Anatomy and physiology in 8 weeks is no fun.
umm in 80 weeks that be no fun!  

You can do it bro!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Funk that. That's why I always keep extra tail lights bulbs in my cars.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Nursing school in Arizona.  I bet your classmates are a bit distracting.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Doc !!!  Absofuckinlutely !!!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This post was updated on .
So we learn this about the guy shot in Louisiana:
So who is Alton Sterling? "A felon with a lengthy rap sheet, Sterling is legally prohibited from possessing a firearm. Police records show Sterling had been a member of the Bloods gang, and had a list of offenses including battery, assault, drugs and weapons charges, and owed $25,000 in child support. He was also a registered pedophile, having impregnated a 14-year-old girl when he was 20. The media, by contrast, has portrayed him as a loving father of five."

Does this mean the cops were justified in shooting and killing him, not by itself, but it sure is justification for them taking extra precautions. We won't know the whole story until the investigation is over but there may have been probably cause.

The Minnesota case looks horrible but again we don't know the whole story. What really happened and why. To me, it looks like the cop murdered the guy from what I saw on the video and his fiancé seems like an extremely intelligent well put together women who had the presence of mind to document what was happening in a situation that most of us would be dumbfounded and at a loss as to what to do.

There is no doubt in my mind that cops treat people of different races differently - racial profiling is a fact of life and human nature and exasperated by the statistics.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I was just reading that and getting pissed off. Can you imagine the petty shit these officers are going after people for?

Take the St. Louis suburb of Pagedale, where, among other Norman Rockwell-worthy features deemed illegal, "you can't have a hedge more than three feet high," Maurer says. "You can't have a basketball hoop or a wading pool in front of a house. You can't have a dish antenna on the front of your house. You can't walk on the roadway if there is a sidewalk, and if there is not a sidewalk, they must walk on the left side of the roadway. They must walk on the right of the crosswalk. They can't conduct a barbecue in the front yard and can't have an alcoholic beverage within 150 feet of a barbecue. Kids cannot play in the street. They also have restrictions against pants being worn below the waist in public. Cars must be within 500 feet of a lamp or a source of illumination during nighttime hours. Blinds must be neatly hung in respectable appearance, properly maintained, and in a state of good repair."

Where did this Kafkaesque laundry list come from? Maurer explains that in 2010, Missouri passed a law that capped the amount of city revenue that any agency could generate from traffic stops. The intent was to limit small-town speed traps, but the unintentional consequences are now clear: Pagedale saw a 495 percent increase in nontraffic-related arrests. "In Frontenac, the increase was 364 percent," Maurer says. "In Lakeshire, it was 209 percent."
It's a money grab and it's bullshit. We need less cops in some of these places and less expense.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
These money grabs piss me off too but I blame the state and local politicians for that more then I do the police. That happens in NYS too. Almost every municipality in the state adds a surcharge to tickets written within its borders and the DMV hits you for an extra couple of hundred bucks if you exceed a certain number of points on your license. You think you took care of the ticket already and then another bill shows up in the mail a couple of weeks later.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Holy crap:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/07/09/philando-stops/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
From the article:
"Nationally, 13 percent of black drivers were pulled over at least once in 2011, compared with 10 percent of the white drivers, according to a survey by the U.S. Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics."

That does not seem statistically significant or indicative of racial profiling.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ya I don't think profiling is really just about race, for some maybe but it's just human to judge people by first impression. We are wired to do that. Heuristics? Maybe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I was holy crapping this:

"When Philando Castile saw the flashing lights in his rearview mirror the night he got shot, it wasn’t unusual. He had been pulled over at least 52 times in recent years in and around the Twin Cities and given citations for minor offenses including speeding, driving without a muffler and not wearing a seat belt.

He was assessed at least $6,588 in fines and fees, although more than half of the total 86 violations were dismissed, court records show."

Maybe he really was a bad driver and deserved the 40 violations he was convicted for, and the 46 that were dismissed were honest mistakes by the police.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
I was holy crapping this:

"When Philando Castile saw the flashing lights in his rearview mirror the night he got shot, it wasn’t unusual. He had been pulled over at least 52 times in recent years in and around the Twin Cities and given citations for minor offenses including speeding, driving without a muffler and not wearing a seat belt.

He was assessed at least $6,588 in fines and fees, although more than half of the total 86 violations were dismissed, court records show."

Maybe he really was a bad driver and deserved the 40 violations he was convicted for, and the 46 that were dismissed were honest mistakes by the police.

Yea - I don't think we know the whole story but the cops would have run his plates and see the big rap sheet and then be on his guard.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
There is a lot of info in here but you can skip through it and get the idea. Self Defense and the Suspicion Theory  

http://ilr.law.uiowa.edu/files/ilr.law.uiowa.edu/files/ILR_98-1_Richardson.pdf
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I think the real lesson here is the age old lesson, when you engage with the police you go into purely submissive mode no matter what your color or race. My analysis - although admittingly incomplete, is that the cell phone video is enabling people to be self righteous idiots. We think the BoR says that we don't live in a police state but in reality we do. Is it a bad thing, ask yourself this honestly. In my fantasy mind I would love to go back in that time from 1958 to 1964, people respected cops as the ultimate authority, yes - some were psychopaths, but the rules were simple and everybody knew what to do. Families mattered, ethics mattered, the truth mattered and If we could go back there but with racial equality - I would be very happy. I wish we could find another Eisenhower in this political shit show we have now.

Maybe it's just my old mind blocking out the bad and remembering the good.