My Solution to I70 Traffic Problems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
102 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My Solution to I70 Traffic Problems

Benny Profane
Well, two things. Money doesn't grow on trees, and Denver ain't NYC.

Like I said, sort of, too friggin bad it's 200 bucks to Steamboat and back. First, it should be, because that's actually pretty cheap, considering the distance and conditions on Rabbit Ears half the time. Take a cab from JFK to your home in wherever NY metro and get back to me how much that costs. But, really, if you can't afford to get to the hill like that, find another sport. I'm a skier, but, I would consider it very unfair if the generic tax dollar was used to make it cheaper for the upper classes, and, yes, skiers almost by definition are doing quite well, to get to the mountains. Pay your own way, or go bowling.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Looks like RA has now been turned against me by the idiots.
Are you 18 yet? Because you're quite a pompous individual, it'll be nice to call you names back rather than just attack your completely unrealistic ideas someday.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Are there weed shuttles? If not that could be a good business
When my family went to Steamboat, my mom saw a van with the name of a dispensary on the side pick up a bunch of 20 something year old guys.  So they do exist.

I believe the 200 dollars to get to Steamboat was one way, could be wrong though.  Not completely unaffordable, but not a trivial portion of the cost to make the trip out west.  We rented a car and they only had 2wd's left, and we barely made it through Rabbit Ears.  We were going to take the shuttle when our flight to Steamboat got cancelled, but it didn't leave until 6pm the next day.  It was 9pm when we were at DIA.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
snoloco wrote
Are you 18 yet? Because you're quite a pompous individual, it'll be nice to call you names back rather than just attack your completely unrealistic ideas someday.
I'd like to know why you're so offended that I came up with an idea that while entirely possible, is somewhat unrealistic due to the costs involved.  I'm certainly adding more to the discussion than assholes like you are.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
snoloco wrote
ml242 wrote
snoloco wrote
I'd like to know why you're so offended that I came up with an idea that while entirely possible, is somewhat unrealistic due to the costs involved.  I'm certainly adding more to the discussion than assholes like you are.
I think you might be the first person to ever come up with this idea. I am sure the CDOT study was stolen from your idea. In fact, all the train tracks in the Colorado Rockies didn't exist before your brilliant post.

Get a clue.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Money is growing like weeds in Colorado!The Colorado tax payers might actually like the idea if it would work, that's a big maybe. I think a lot of tourists would use it if it were convenient. I think Sno's plan is probably a little excessive and the train to every resort isn't going to work but that's just an opinion. Another problem might be the fact that tourists have a lot of luggage, is that easy to deal with on a commuter train? I still like the idea of the monorail, it would go well with the space age looking airport. They also don't interfere as much with other infrastructure
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Monorail!
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
snoloco wrote
ml242 wrote
snoloco wrote
I think you might be the first person to ever come up with this idea. I am sure the CDOT study was stolen from your idea. In fact, all the train tracks in the Colorado Rockies didn't exist before your brilliant post.

Get a clue.
Fuck off.  You add nothing positive to this discussion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Just like Disney World and shit!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
raisingarizona wrote
Another problem might be the fact that tourists have a lot of luggage, is that easy to deal with on a commuter train?

This is what the trains used on the commuter line closest to me look like on the inside.  Not much space for luggage.  Not a problem though, as these trains are mostly used by people on day trips, not overnight trips.  They get the occasional airport passenger, but there are few of them and there's almost always space for everyone's luggage.

The luggage racks on Amtrak's Acela Express are much bigger, and there are fewer seats, so more luggage space per person.  There is also a large luggage tower for oversize items at the end of the car, not pictured here.  These trains are used for longer intercity trips and are often carrying travelers on overnight trips, so these people have no luggage.  I've only ridden this train once, so I don't have much experience as to whether there's ever a shortage of luggage space on it.

As to the monorail idea, I've only ever seen them used as "people movers" and not really for trips of any length.  DIA has an underground monorail system connecting the concourses.  Many airports have similar things.  I do suppose that their use could be expanded to longer trips, which in some cases could work better than a traditional railroad.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
snoloco wrote
x10003q wrote
snoloco wrote

Get a clue.
Fuck off.  You add nothing positive to this discussion.
So angry when confronted with the truth about your fantasy and you spent so much time on the project. With all the work you put in I bet you could submit this as a thesis and skip 12th grade! Somebody better send this thread to the CDOT team - you have unlocked the key to the Front Range Traffic Problem. Although, if the CDOT project team was filled with 10th graders, that would explain the horrible maglev choice. I bet those 10th graders never saw the Wikipedia link you posted.

It must be so hard to always be the smartest boy in the room. Nobody understands.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I have no data based idea about the practicality of this idea. Taking the lazy way out, I knew this has been considered and put aside in the past and assumed it wasn't really feasible.

Regardless, I think it's important to dream and think big, thanks for posting the idea.

Google maps gives me 2 1/2 hours Denver to Vail,  3 1/2 Denver to Aspen, without traffic. Sure the skiing is bigger in CO and the drive is shorter than here to go, but I think I'd take my 4 1/2 drive over those shorter drives anytime.

What is the average CO drive time on a crowded Friday night or Sunday PM?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by x10003q
It isn't hard to be the smartest one in the room.  Your constant attacks prove that you feel insecure about yourself because you aren't as smart as a 17 year old.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
It isn't hard to be the smartest one in the room.  Your constant attacks prove that you feel insecure about yourself because you aren't as smart as a 17 year old.
Does somebody need a time out?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
ml242 wrote
snoloco wrote
Does somebody need a time out?
Yes, you and x
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
Yes, you and x
Maybe, but we aren't the ones running around calling everyone assholes.

Look, CDOT is discussing a single line at the cost of 13 - 16B, i wonder if it will ever get built:

http://www.skyhidailynews.com/news/10381960-113/system-county-rail-cdot
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
The questions remain.  If you skip 12th grade to goto college are you really a freshman until you receive your diploma?  And if you haven't started college yet are you really a college freshman?  Will be interesting to see how engineering college goes when you cant even base your plan on factual numbers.  Rather you just randomly make them up to suit you plan.  How will you react when your professors give you any criticism towards your huge ideas?  Will you throw a temper tantrum and call them names?  Also more people smoke pot than you think little man.  Especially skiers and boarders and especially in Colorado.  One day you will realize that you aren't so right about everything you think you know.  But they will most likely still give you a trophy just for participating.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hi Glade Runner ^^^

There's no map saying exactly where it would go, but they mention Breckenridge as the only ski area, which would mean the others would likely oppose it.  If it only went to once central location, then it would require bus connections to actually get to the ski areas, which might still be faster than driving, but let's just say that there is an exponential decay curve in your ridership with the number of transfers you add.

I was always under the impression that maglev lines had to be pretty much dead straight to allow for the high speeds they can achieve.  Maybe if banked turns are used they could get the speeds up to what the article says.  Of course, in the mountain corridor, dead straight isn't possible.

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
ml242 wrote
snoloco wrote
Yes, you and x
Maybe, but we aren't the ones running around calling everyone assholes.

Look, CDOT is discussing a single line at the cost of 13 - 16B, i wonder if it will ever get built:

http://www.skyhidailynews.com/news/10381960-113/system-county-rail-cdot
Thanks for relinking to the article that I quoted  and linked to yesterday. I just don't rate with the smartest boy in the room.