NY State Land: Rules vs Traditional Uses

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NYS State Land: Rules vs Traditional Uses

Chris
ya cant fix stupid- thanks for the laugh!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
Or you can always do what I do...
When I saw this for some reason I thought it was a tent. Doh! Kevlar?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Harvey wrote
When I saw this for some reason I thought it was a tent. Doh! Kevlar?
I like the view much better when it's flipped over the other way... but Kevlar makes it a lot easier!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like the Crane Pond Road is getting worse.

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2014/11/peter-bauer-crane-pond-road-is-a-mess.html

At this point the Goose Pond Road compromise seems like a no-brainer.

EDIT - Found this:

http://www.adkforum.com/showpost.php?p=224464&postcount=29
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
there are six million other places this guy could go.  Its two miles that some people have some fun with, let it go. Can you imaging the ear full he gave the guys stuck in the mud.  His head was probably about to explode when he saw that.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I could be dead wrong here, but this idea of Wilderness and Protected area is an argument that may be mute in 20-70 years.     I don't live in the area but do get around quite a bit when up north.    What I see is less and less people using the park, not increased traffic.   From reading old magizines about the area and seeing photos, I feel (not know) there were more people using the park in the 60s and 70s, declining since. Isn't it already reverting?    

ATVs may be the game changer or exception to what I am saying.    

However, those that are using the park are doing so with much more respect, again my view.   People camp less, carry in less metal and plastic, and leave less.     Of all the beer cans and bottles I have seen while hiking, most of it comes from the 70s, not 2000s.    Thankfully US steel is rusting away.   Always amazed when I see a car, washing machine or other machine in a spot of "wilderness" that today, no path existed to get that thing in that spot. I especially like running across sofa's deep in the woods, set up near fire rings.....who carried those things?      

Example:   Hiking up Straightbook from Peaceful Valley about 1.5 miles up, you will find the remnents of a cable bridge, the cables and boards are able to be seen.   However there is no obvious reason for that bridge in that location.    No remains of a walking path.   I romantically envision some guy's camp and him building this bridge to traverse the stream in winter or high water to get to work, in the mines.    

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I:)skiing wrote
I could be dead wrong here, but this idea of Wilderness and Protected area is an argument that may be mute in 20-70 years.     I don't live in the area but do get around quite a bit when up north.    What I see is less and less people using the park, not increased traffic.  
Sorry - but the stats don't agree.
If you would like to go fro a hike on most Saturdays from June through mid October and want to start from the Garden, you better get there before 7AM otherwise you are riding the bus from Marcy Field, the HPIC parking lot is full by 9AM on late summer weekends and is a mad house on any holiday weekend. Wilderness campsites are at a premium and the leantos all fill up around Mary Dam and Colden. I camped out at Feldspar last season, we were lucky to get the leanto but by 6PM almost every possible spot for a tent was taken and if you are not familiar with that location, it is quite a ways in. The High Peaks are crawling with people (particularly Canadians) on a nice weekend. Other places are less traveled but I rarely go on a hike any more where I don't run into a few folks - even in winter.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PeeTex wrote
Saturdays from June through mid October ... start from the Garden
IMO the pervasiveness of this definition of NY Wilderness, is what allows people with a different view, to experience the wild.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
PeeTex wrote
Saturdays from June through mid October ... start from the Garden
IMO the pervasiveness of this definition of NY Wilderness, is what allows people with a different view, to experience the wild.
Compared to the Bronx the High Peaks are a wilderness (well - maybe not as wild).
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.